Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Another 'where shall I go on a short-haul weekend break' but honestly I'm stumped

(98 Posts)
captainmummy Tue 24-Jun-14 15:39:07

I'm trying to arrange a quick weekend away with dp, end Aug, 2 nights. He wants to go somewhere I/we haven't been - so out is;

Southern Spain - Barcelona, Malaga, Valencia, Canary islands
Germany - done Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg, Munich
holland - bruges , amsterdam
belgium - Brussels,
france - paris - south/west of france might be a poss?
italy - venice, rome - but the med islands may be ok if not too pricey
swiss - zurich
Iceland - Rejkyavic
Jersey

- in fact most of the short haul destinations! I'd quite like Croatia, Slovenia, Krakow or East Europe (done Prague!) but would like to keep to under £200 each, so realistically, the flights are that alone!

Oh and he wants to go south - for the weather - so scandinavia is out.

And it's got to be flyable (2-3 hours) from Gatwick. grin

Anyone got any ideas?

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Tue 24-Jun-14 15:51:50

I was reading about Budapest on here earlier this week - that sounded great.

Also, if you like Spain and haven't been to Granada yet, you must.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 24-Jun-14 15:53:15

Southern Ireland - the south east is beautiful at that time of year (Waterford/Wexford area)

Caitmous Tue 24-Jun-14 15:59:27

Bratislava is amazing but not sure of weather. I was on Baltic a few summers ago and it was boiling... Worth thinking about East Europe. Jealous smile

Morethanalittlebitconfused Tue 24-Jun-14 16:00:29

Croatia and Bulgaria are apparently the new go to holiday destinations

hollyisalovelyname Tue 24-Jun-14 16:00:57

Kerry , south west Ireland. Fly into Cork or Farranfore Kerry airport and rent a car. Do the Ring of Kerry tour. Or the Cork /Kerry border just beyond Glengariff or Dingle, Killarney, Caherdaniel, Valentia Island.

FruVikingessOla Tue 24-Jun-14 16:03:26

What about even shorter-haul?!

The Channel Islands? Lovely in August, and just a quick hop from Gatwick. Or the Scilly Isles? Or somewhere in Normandy/Brittany?

KnackeredMuchly Tue 24-Jun-14 16:03:41

When I looked into it my friends recommended Bruges although we didn't go anywhere in the end. It's supposed to be lovely.

Florence is lovely.

missmartha Tue 24-Jun-14 16:14:13

Budapest is lovely and hot this time of year. Very hot in fact.

Kerry or County Cork are great too.

winnertakesitall Tue 24-Jun-14 16:18:41

Oooh yes. Budapest. Lots of lovely outdoor spa baths.

SeriousWispaHabit Tue 24-Jun-14 16:26:43

Algarve? Lots of Ryanair flights to Faro and beautiful weather/lots of beaches. Good for sea fishing/surfing/bodyboarding and amazing coastline. Food good too.

mkmjimmy Tue 24-Jun-14 16:30:20

Palma - loads to do, lovely weather, great bars and restaurants - lovely hotels.

Tallin - weather will be hot - loads to see. Fantastic food - fantastic bars - if you stay away from the stag dos.

Granada and Seville - both easy to get to - train from Malaga.

I was going to suggest Budapest too.

DeMaz Tue 24-Jun-14 16:47:12

A greek island. There are some beautiful ones and lots to choose from... Very hot there at the moment... 3.5 hr flight time I think.

SquirrelledAway Tue 24-Jun-14 16:48:22

Geneva?
Lisbon?
Istanbul?

efeslight Tue 24-Jun-14 16:52:39

Istanbul is fantastic, but loads to see, would save this for a longer holiday. You can cross the Bosphorous over to Asia for the day.
Ravenna and Bologna are lovely.
Was also going to suggest somewhere in Ireland.

wifeandmotherandlotsofother Tue 24-Jun-14 16:54:43

We went to Budapest on a cheap deal with Travelzoo, best city break we've had, everything is walkable, lovely spa baths, we stayed in the Hotel Andrassi , v nice £150 each for 2 nights including flights.

What about Scotland? I have lived in both Glasgow and Edinburgh and love both - Edina will be mahoosively busy with the festival but if that doesn't put you off, it's great fun, The Bonham is a nice place to lay your head.

Also Glasgow is a brilliant city for a mini break, amazing architecture, good shopping, loads of free galleries and great nightlife, try One Devonshire Gardens, beautiful hotel and walking distance of the West End

Hoppinggreen Tue 24-Jun-14 16:56:39

Seville, Nuremberg, Jersey, Moscow, st Petersberg

PeppermintInfusion Tue 24-Jun-14 17:00:11

Another one for Budapest here, great weather, cheap enough when you're there (not dirt cheap though not far off), spas, walkable, could spend 2 days or a week there.

member Tue 24-Jun-14 17:02:21

Lyon!

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Tue 24-Jun-14 17:02:38

Not South but Tallin is lovely, or Copenhagen.
Dubrovnik is also worth visiting and so is Bruge.

bluesky Tue 24-Jun-14 17:03:35

Dubrovnik is gorgeous

GnomeDePlume Tue 24-Jun-14 17:04:45
BIWI Tue 24-Jun-14 17:04:52

Dubrovnik
Bruges
Positano/Amalfi/Ravello
Bordeaux
Montpelier
Seville
Marrakech

All lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now