Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Anyone from Newcastle?

(117 Posts)
FairyPenguin Tue 24-Jun-14 05:57:50

We're going to Newcastle this weekend and I'm just planning what to do but have never been there before so not sure about transport links etc.

Have done a bit of research and like the sound of Ouseburn Parks walk, Thornley Woods and Leazes Park. Also thinking about the Baltic Centre and maybe something like the Discovery Museum.

We live close to London so have been to the Science Museum and Natural History Museum, plus have loads of local farms here, so am looking for something different that actually shows us a bit of the city but is also interesting for the children.

We have 2 DC, aged 7 and 4, who love being outside, up for walking and exploring. They like museums if interactive but for the most part would prefer wandering around interspersed with ice cream and cake stops.

We are going up on the train so must be doable by public transport. We arrive Fri lunchtime and leave Sun lunchtime, and are staying in a hotel close to the football ground.

We are meeting friends on Sat with DC aged 4 and 18 months, and the current weather forecast is rain. Any suggestions for indoor activities very welcome!

Restaurant suggestions also welcome! Thanks.

SavoyCabbage Tue 24-Jun-14 06:03:32

There's Seven Stories which is an interactive 'museum' about books.

You could nip into the Hancock museum as it's in the city so easy to get to and look at the roman exhibits. Or go to look at the roman wall.

sillymillyb Tue 24-Jun-14 06:12:14

Ooh I was just about to suggest seven stories!

There is the centre for life too but I haven't been in years so not sure what that's like for your age kids. Discovery museum is fab though.

I would suggest a walk along the quayside and maybe a boat trip along the river. There's also a hop on and off bus tour that I think will have started running for the summer now.

Oh! I don't know if it's your "thing" but I also think the hoppings (a fun fair) might be on this weekend - it's on the town moor so just outside city centre.

Have fun! Will post more if I can think of it smile

Suddengeekgirl Tue 24-Jun-14 06:32:36

I have always found the discovery museum to be very disappointing. Too many things missing parts or broken whenever we've been.

Hancock is great, and seven stories.

You could probably get out to the coast on the metro

My dc (5&3) loved Jesmond Dene and the pets corner bit.

I'm an ex-Geordie but my mum and dad still live there. Have fun! smile

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Tue 24-Jun-14 06:43:41

One of the good things about the Toon is how compact it is. If you are by st James then china town is close(don't get too excited it's not that big) Leazes park is near the Hancock, s o if the get bored, just wander out.
Centre for life is good, not cheap though, but that creepy guy the plasticises bodies has an exhibition on.
Ditto metro out to tynemouth, if it's good weather it's fab.
Lots of good places to eat, china town obv, try the Chinese bakery, run by two lovely women, you can make a picnic up for not much.

sillymillyb Tue 24-Jun-14 06:44:25

Oh yes, if you head to the coast get off at tynemouth metro station. They have weekend markets held in the station and usually have a band playing. You can get fish and chips from marshalls and eat them on the sea front. Heaven!

I'm getting excited on your behalf now and I bloody live here grin

FairyPenguin Tue 24-Jun-14 06:48:37

Seven Stories it is then! Will put that on the list for Saturday. I also like the look of the Hancock Museum with the Hadrians Wall exhibition (and the T-Rex and mummies which the DC will like).

Really like the open-top bus idea - could do a whole loop on it on Friday to get our bearings and see what takes our fancy, then hop on and off on Sat. Also forgot that of course we must go on the Metro so could use that to get to Jesmond Dene, I think.

I'm also keen to visit the Millennium Bridge (but that might just be me!).

FairyPenguin Tue 24-Jun-14 06:51:35

Metro to Tynemouth sounds great actually. Maybe we'll do that on Friday while dry and save the bus tour for Sat with our friends. Ooh so many options!

FairyPenguin Tue 24-Jun-14 06:52:54

I LOVE Chinese bakeries so definitely going to buy some treats there.

kinkymouse Tue 24-Jun-14 06:57:19

Also there's a boating lake and miniature golf at tynemouth which might fill an hour or two.

Lagoonablue Tue 24-Jun-14 06:59:39

You must go to the quayside during the day. The views of all of the bridges is lovely. Then you can walk across the millenium bridge and go to Baltic. Even if you don't like art the galleries are interesting and there is a nice cafe.

St James Park does stadium tours.

I love the Toon me. ( homesick)

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Tue 24-Jun-14 07:00:24

Iirc the Black Castle (the "new" castle the city is named after) is rather cheap to visit and it is quite an interesting building. The rooftop views are great, and it is in the city centre.

I second a metro trip to Tynemouth, you just can't beat fish and chips at the seaside!

The Life Centre is excellent for under 10's. Would e god if it starts raining as it's in the city and all indoors. There's a café there too or you can eat your picnic inside.

RobinEllacott Tue 24-Jun-14 07:12:46

Tynemouth beach and priory are great, and I also recommend the Life Centre.

RobinEllacott Tue 24-Jun-14 07:13:23

Also Whitley Bay is old-fashioned seaside and you can walk out to St Mary's where the lighthouse is - it's a great walk and not too long.

Bearfrills Tue 24-Jun-14 07:19:51

Just avoid the Bodies exhibit if your DC are sensitive, it's not recommended for under 8s anyway but it's dead bodies from the German guy who plastinates them.

Castle Keep is fun and cheap to get into. Would be ideal for your aged DC but not so good for your friends small DCas it has lots of stairs and uneven surfaces.

There's Segedunum up at Wallsend, Bede's World at Jarrow, and Rising Sun Country Park at Benton all of which can be reached by Metro. There the Stephenson Railway Museum at North Shields, near Silverlink, but its not really bear any metro stations so you'd probably have to faff on with buses.

If you're going to Tynemouth there's the Blue areef aquarium, you can sometimes get vouchers for it (Primary Times do them, they might also have some on their website).

sillymillyb Tue 24-Jun-14 07:20:54

Just another recommendation for the beach option if you decide to take it. At tynemouth there is an old pub on the sea front called the Gibraltar rock - you need to be there when it opens at 12, but go upstairs to the bar and they have floor to ceiling windows over looking the bay. It's gorgeous. You can just grab a drink but if you want food they will get you a carvery from down stairs and bring it up to you. It's lovely food as well.

FairyPenguin Tue 24-Jun-14 07:25:03

Wow thanks for all the quick replies. Got to get the DC ready so will read and reply later.

As an aside, does anyone know whether there are lockers at Newcastle station? Would prefer to leave our bags there on Sunday morning if possible.

FairyPenguin Tue 24-Jun-14 07:27:22

Am really hoping weather forecast improves as Tynemouth sounds lovely for Saturday. Wish we could go for longer but can't (Inset Day on Fri and we live 5 hours away).

wonkylegs Tue 24-Jun-14 07:49:42

Newcastle station is going through a major overhaul and I think the left luggage is suspended during this period I'm afraid. You could ask your hotel if you could leave them & pick them up later, we've done that before.

The Hoppings finishes on Saturday hoppingsfunfairs.com so if the weather is good be aware that the metro will be especially busy at the west jesmond stop as it's very popular.

A walk down the quayside is always good, brilliant views of the city/quayside/bridges from the balcony at the top of the free Baltic Art Gallery and if you keep going east you can walk down to the ouseburn & Severn Stories.

When I first visited Newcastle I was fascinated by the Granger Covered Market mainly because there weren't any where I came from (I'm a relocated southerner) - the tripe stall held particular fascination.

Cataline Tue 24-Jun-14 08:01:53

This weekend also sees the first EAT! event- Tea and Cake planet. It's in conjunction with the Boiler Shop Steamer who do amazing monthly street food events.
This one involves pop up tea rooms, creating a giant map made out of cake and loads of other things- fab for kids.
more info

Cataline Tue 24-Jun-14 08:02:53

If you make it down to the coast, we currently have wild seals in the rocks by St Mary's Lighthouse- they're gorgeous!

sillymillyb Tue 24-Jun-14 08:06:49

Ooh that tea and cake looks fab cataline - I'm going to be wandering around this weekend trying to mumsnet spot!

Suddengeekgirl Tue 24-Jun-14 08:10:05

cataline - are the seals permanent residents there? Ds and me would love to see seals! smile

Suddengeekgirl Tue 24-Jun-14 08:10:38

We are staying with my mum and dad in August, really looking forward to it! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now