Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

We have a mouse! Or some type of critter than can carry an arseload of chocolate...what do we do??

(36 Posts)
SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Sun 22-Jun-14 22:20:08

Just moved in a couple of month's ago. The house is old with lots of nooks and crannies so I knew this was inevitable.

The dog kept going funny and staring at one particular wall in the lounge, I was in denial mode but last night she actually chased the damn thing, whatever it is, down a small hole by the radiator. I didn't see what it was but it had managed to carry 6 squares worth of Galaxy chocolate which got stuck at the entrance of the hole. confused

What do we think it is MN'ers?? A mouse? A rat? A badger?!

More importantly, what do we do to get rid? I really don't want to set kill traps! Anyone have any experience with humane traps?

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Sun 22-Jun-14 22:21:00

Goddamnit I knew I'd mess up the title. Too much Pimm's and sunshine today...

HoneyTits Sun 22-Jun-14 22:45:45

Rat!

there's been loads of threads lately about horrible rodents in the house. Still doesn't make me feel any better that I've got a bastard rat in my wash house which is attached to the kitchen by a door <quivers> mice had me a nervous wreck in my last house a rat IN the house will kill me off.

OscarWinningActress Sun 22-Jun-14 22:48:07

Steel wool. The only thing they can't chew through. Plug up inside and outside nooks and crannies/nooks.

Coconutty Sun 22-Jun-14 22:53:22

You can try humane traps but they are shit.

The man laughed at me in the shop when I went back for a back snapper two weeks later. It got rid of it though.

They piss everywhere, and attract rats. Get rid and do it soon as.

NannyLouise29 Sun 22-Jun-14 23:16:10

Same here! We've just moved into an old garden flat and have seen them (my DP keeps assuring me it's just one!) in the kitchen! We bought these from Robert Dyas today and have baited them with peanut butter as recommended online.

Despite trying to avoid the kitchen at all costs due to these horrible things, I still felt bad about having to put traps down to kill them. At least with these traps we hopefully won't have to see anything. I have also used this to my advantage to twist DP's arm into getting a cat - silver linings and all that wink

deakymom Sun 22-Jun-14 23:42:18
deakymom Sun 22-Jun-14 23:42:40

wow long link!

mawbroon Sun 22-Jun-14 23:42:52

In my experience, there is never just the one mouse.

There's usually a whole bloody family of them....

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Mon 23-Jun-14 19:14:58

Ugh, really!? I reeeeally don't want the back snapper things...DH works at night so I couldn't possibly bear hearing it go off by myself and seeing WHAT it's caught.

I'll look at the links and order a few of everything...Thanks for the steel wool tip...I'll buy my weight's worth of that, too!!

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Mon 23-Jun-14 19:26:16

NannyLouise those look great! Will you please come back to thread and let me know if they work?!

Paddlinglikehell Mon 23-Jun-14 19:32:48

We have one too.! I was sat by the fire, heard a rustling and crackling near my handbag, I got up to have a look a mouse flew out and disappeared! Had eaten almost half a two finger kitkat I had in my bag.

Not sure if I am more fed up that he ate my chocolate, or that we have a mouse.

Had been in there again today, left bite marks in a wrapped toffee!

Going to get some humane traps, can't stand the snappy ones, caught a mouse by the leg once, it left it behind with a little trail of blood sad. In case you think my house is minging, this was in another property.

stillnotjustamummy Mon 23-Jun-14 19:33:27

Steel Wool, back snappers, bait box and as an absolute last resort, a glue trap- but only if you are prepared to finish it off quickly. If not, it's really cruel, don't use one. We managed to get rid of our rodents to the point of no longer finding evidence. Now I have two cats to keep it that way!

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Mon 23-Jun-14 19:44:19

I'd love a cat! Unfortunately we live on quite a busy road and I'd be scared of accidents.

I reeeeeally don't want a back-snapper!! And the glue things are horrid. The humane ones appeal to me the best because I envision letting it go and it scampering off into the sunset...no?

I like the things NannyLouise linked to!

we had humane traps and they diidnt work, after about a week one of our 2 lazy cats finally dispatched it!

mawbroon Mon 23-Jun-14 20:42:16

I had a humane trap and the mice ended up dead inside it anyway, probably from fright or suffocation or starvation or something horrible and lingering.

Far better with one snap and it's done IMO.

We caught 4 the other week but haven't had any since.

desertmum Mon 23-Jun-14 21:02:51

I have a mouse - and I also have dogs and cats that are crap and obviously fed far too much! Apparently mice are practically incontinent and wee EVERYWHERE . . .. but I can't bear the snappers or the glue so I bleach everywhere. The last mouse we had got electrocuted in the toaster . . . made a horrible smell sad

Sisyphus85 Mon 23-Jun-14 21:11:17

If it is carrying 6 pieces of chocolate then there's no way it's a mouse... you have rats

In the past I've found all traps humane or otherwise a real waste of time. Even if you catch the odd one then others will show up. Also the poison you buy in homebase or wherever is pretty ineffective as rodents don't actually like it - it's like cardboard.

Either call out for a professional, or buy yourself professional standard poison (cheaper than calling someone out - just google it). The pro will put down stuff that looks like green coloured grain, mice and rats love it. They'll make sure it's in a place your dog/DCs can't get at it.

I've moved three times in the past three years, each time mice have shown up. Once the pro poison goes down they've never reappeared.

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Mon 23-Jun-14 21:16:14

I was afraid of that, Sisyphus. sad Someone has started another thread about vermin and a poster said that with rats you don't see poo around...and guess what, we don't see poo. sad sad

If it's a rat it scares me, I don't know why but it does! Thanks for the advice; I think I'll call the council tomorrow and see what they suggest. I am never going downstairs at night again!

Katy1368 Mon 23-Jun-14 21:20:21

Sorry but poison is the only thing that works, mice or rats are vermin so no mercy. I had a city of mice under my floors a few years ago, traps were crap never caught even one, poison was the only thing that worked.

lettertoherms Mon 23-Jun-14 21:25:35

Mint oil and mothballs keep mice away!

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Mon 23-Jun-14 21:27:34

I'm worried about them dying in the walls and stinking up the place with poison. But yes, I think it's a must. The idea it's a rat makes me want a gin and a fag! Ha.

Thanks for all advice.

I heard a crash downstairs in the middle of the night a few weeks ago and freaked out before talking myself into it being "the pipes." Now I know it was probably the fucking rat colony we have downstairs. I'd almost prefer a ghost!

Katy1368 Mon 23-Jun-14 21:38:56

Oddly enough we didn't get any smells at all, not one whiff! and there were a LOT of them.

Paddlinglikehell Sat 28-Jun-14 01:06:05

Caught one of the buggers last night, definitely a mouse, a very fat one. Used a humane trap and took up the back of the local stables, he can take his chances there.

Two more traps set tonight, last night a marshmallow spiral was attacked in my daughters open school bag, nibbled a good quarter of it!

RuddyDuck Sat 28-Jun-14 02:51:59

We've used humane traps to catch mice the csts bring in as presents hmm and then let go when they get bored. We've baited them with peanut butter and that's usually worked.

When I was a student we had a mouse infeststion and used humane traps to get rid if them. We were advised that you need to release the mouse at least 1/2 mile away or they will return to house (homing mice!). We just used to let them go in the garden...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now