Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Picking up stuff with your feet -

(39 Posts)
LongTailedTit Tue 17-Jun-14 23:39:13

Weird or not weird?

I don't think I have particularly prehensile toes, but I do use my feet to pick things up a fair bit (dropped socks/clothes, toys etc) and have begun to realise that this is maybe Not The Done Thing.
I reckon it's become more of a habit for me since pregnancy and DC as it's harder to bend over with a bump or with the baby in a sling (and I never seem to have a hand free anymore), but thinking about it, I've never seen anyone else do it...

VanitasVanitatum Tue 17-Jun-14 23:41:43

I do that. And open doors. Can be really handy if your hands are full!

BrianTheMole Tue 17-Jun-14 23:42:12

Not weird. I do it too.

DramaAlpaca Tue 17-Jun-14 23:43:50

I do it too. I have a handy gap between my big toes & the next one that makes it easy to grip things grin

HairyPotter Tue 17-Jun-14 23:44:25

I do this too grin And I have to say, I'm bloody good at it! <brags>

Bookaholic Tue 17-Jun-14 23:45:53

I do it lots. It does freak my BF out though and I am not allowed anywhere near him with my feet. I think it was when I was trying to learn to tie shoe laces with my toes using the shoes he was wearing at the time that finally pushed him over the edge.

What's the point of bending down when I have a perfectly functional set of digits already down there though?

unrealhousewife Tue 17-Jun-14 23:46:04

I think this should be recognised as a proper sport.

GothMummy Tue 17-Jun-14 23:47:25

I thought everyone did that!

LongTailedTit Tue 17-Jun-14 23:48:11

Oh phew! grin <wipes brow>
Glad to know there are others out there making full use of all four extremities too!

Primrose123 Tue 17-Jun-14 23:51:33

I can do this - I have the toes of a monkey.

It was very useful during pregnancy when it was difficult to bend.

I can also move my little toes independently of the others. <proud>

dietcokeandcadburys Tue 17-Jun-14 23:54:53

Rulers are the most difficult items to pick up with your feet IME, tennis balls are the easiest.

PitchSlapped Tue 17-Jun-14 23:55:20

Yeap I can do this...I can spread my toes and cross the second toe over the big toe on both feet as well

ClashCityRocker Tue 17-Jun-14 23:58:20

I can do that, and even write my name with a pencil with them stealth boast

LongTailedTit Wed 18-Jun-14 00:09:35

Impressive Clash!

AuditAngel Wed 18-Jun-14 00:15:29

I had DD2 in hysterics tonight when I picked up her dolly with my foot. I thought it had dropped off the sofa, but she had deliberately thrown it down.

Xihha Wed 18-Jun-14 00:27:56

Damn it, I'd just come on to say I can write with them but clash beat me to it... so instead here is a picture of a cat I drew with my feet.

Thisvehicleisreversing Wed 18-Jun-14 00:30:05

Ds1 picks things up with his monkey feet.

I, however have some kind of weird toe paralysis that means I can't move the toes of my right foot at all and minimum movement of my left toes.

I only wish I could point my toes prettily, never mind pick things up with them. <sob>

sashh Wed 18-Jun-14 06:33:11

One of my friends refers to me as 'crazy monkey feet'.

HillyHolbrook Wed 18-Jun-14 06:42:09

DP does this, it's very gross to me. He's got horrible, long toes with two knuckles like proper fingers. Vom vom vom.

He often gets foot cramp trying to pick up the remote with his toes. serves 'im right wink

kiwiscantfly Wed 18-Jun-14 06:45:07

My mum and I can both do this, and the other day we spotted DD aged 3 doing the same. It must be a family thing, hehe.

JellyBabiesSaveLives Wed 18-Jun-14 07:19:17

I find it particularly useful when the children drop their goggles in the swimming pool.

HungryHorace Wed 18-Jun-14 07:36:28

Yes, I do it...especially at times like now where I'm heavily pregnant. :-)

DramaAlpaca Wed 18-Jun-14 10:50:26

We say DS2(19) has 'goblin toes' grin

He does - he has long skinny feet with prominent toe knuckles. They must be the male equivalent of my feet. Before his feet grew big when he was 14 they looked exactly like mine. He'd put one of his feet next to the opposite one of mine & they'd be a perfect matching pair.

He can move all his toes independently and is always picking things up with his feet like me. He likes cracking his toe knuckles, just to freak the rest of the family out grin

GlitterBallDancer Thu 19-Jun-14 11:51:48

I can do this - thought it was normal!

Seeline Thu 19-Jun-14 11:55:05

I can do this. I have a bad back and find my feet very useful.
Jelly I have retrieved goggles, hair bands, toys and jewellery from the bottom of swimming pools grin
My DH finds it all very weird, especially as DD seems to have inherited the skill grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now