Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

But Raj, It Still Works.

(20 Posts)
EvilStepMam Tue 17-Jun-14 20:45:35

The lovely man from internet security phoned just now.

He told me his name was Raj and no, he didn't know Robert or Neville who had called previously.

He asked if I shared my windows license agreement with anyone else, I told him I did, everybody in the south east in fact.

He asked for license agreement number, which I instantly provided him with, 1234.

He then told me my computer was now locked forever and to hang up the phone, he got a little upset when I didn't hang up. grin

TheFirstOfHerName Tue 17-Jun-14 20:47:01

"But I don't have a computer" smile

EvilStepMam Tue 17-Jun-14 20:51:24

I tried that one on Neville, when he told me to open windows, I told him I couldn't as it was raining.

Sleepyhoglet Tue 17-Jun-14 21:26:14

I'm confused

TheFirstOfHerName Tue 17-Jun-14 21:29:17

I tried telling them I don't have a phone either, but they weren't impressed.

Eminybob Tue 17-Jun-14 21:38:16

What's going on?

Lackland Tue 17-Jun-14 21:42:40

Oooh this is a new one to me. Checking licences!! What utter bastards.

wineoclocktimeye Tue 17-Jun-14 21:44:41

Last time the nice man got very excited when I told him that it was OK because I had already given his colleague my credit card details but then seemed a little put out when I wouldn't repeat them to him, I just kept insisting he ask his friend instead grin

Afterwards I was worried that I would go down on some database under 'gullible fool' and get hundreds of calls, but so far so good.

Merrylegs Tue 17-Jun-14 21:59:13

Oh I must have got his helpful colleague 'Dennis' who called me today 'from the world wide web.'

'No shit,'Dennis' I said - 'that's where I'm from too!'

He didn't appreciate the coincidence. But what are the chances eh?

CarCiKoTab Tue 17-Jun-14 22:01:47

I'm totally confused by all this, although very amusing. I'm assuming it has something to do with calls about your internet about to crash and the likes, am I correct?

lucysmam Tue 17-Jun-14 22:03:22

Was your computer at risk?

EvilStepMam Wed 18-Jun-14 00:04:51

No computer not st risk, locked forever accirding to Raj.

Car yes scam calls, gotta say I luffs 'em grin.

EvilStepMam Wed 18-Jun-14 00:08:11

Oops I think the wine virus must have inflected my fingerd.

EvilStepMam Wed 18-Jun-14 00:08:29

Grrrrrr

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 18-Jun-14 00:20:21

Did they give you instructions on how to find your windows license key?

I can't imagine they're very successful even with the gullible as finding the license key isn't something that is widely known is it?

You have reminded me that I need to locate my actual window key though. It was hot at the weekend and I couldn't open the top windows.

TillyTellTale Wed 18-Jun-14 00:47:34

A nice young lady called me last year and said she was from my internet provider. I asked her if she could confirm the name of my internet provider, and she replied, "oh, we work with all of them, I can't see which one you're with". I asked her to have another look, and she put the phone down on me!

I got one call last week and as he started the spiel I just blurted out 'Liar Liar pants on fire'. The man said I was rude and hung up on me

WanderingAway Wed 18-Jun-14 02:26:02

I always get a tad jealous when other people get the computer scam phone call. Id love to let them talk me through how they are going to fix my computer wink

Maybe i should start answering my phone when it rings grin

weegiemum Wed 18-Jun-14 02:45:10

Ooh Denis (one n, he insisted) called me today too.

Apparantly, my computer is at risk.

He seemed a bit worried when I asked which one? Decided it was my desktop.

He was a little flummoxed that we don't have a desktop, in fact most computing in our house (apart from homework on the very old laptop) is tablets.

In the end I'm not sure who hung up first?

Ahhhhh, a lovely windows scam. We keep them talking with increasingly concerned questions about the effect, exactly what they will do, how long it takes etc.

Eventually we tell them that we don't own a PC or run windows...... This always pleases them greatly as they won't need to assist us after all.

We think that if they are talking bollocks to us, they aren't hassling someone who may believe them and pay up for their services.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now