Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Ds has been awake almost 24 hours, help?!

(70 Posts)
Sonumb Mon 16-Jun-14 22:34:47

Ds 5.6yo has been awake since midnight and I'm at a loss what to do his sleeping tablets aren't working (melatonin) he has suspected Aspergers/Adhd.

I just want to sleep, I can't leave him unsupervised, is it kit dangerous for him to stay awake so long?
He has usually caved in by now and nodded off sad
I sent him to school as usual so his routine was the same, I'm at a loss.
I can't keep my eyes open much longer, my mum thinks I should take him to A&E

Sonumb Mon 16-Jun-14 22:35:25

*is it not

ImperialBlether Mon 16-Jun-14 22:36:08

Gosh that sounds awful. You poor things. Could you phone NHS Direct?

Artandco Mon 16-Jun-14 22:40:31

If he's still awake and your tired I would set up a film for him in your room on laptop/ tablet / TV whatever, and tuck him in next to you to sleep. Keep volume low and lights off. You can then doze/ sleep next to him and he can watch if awake and might just fall asleep if it's dark and cozy.

Take to doctors in am if still no sleep. Not much will happen tonight if you go to a and e as it's late.

TelephoneTree Mon 16-Jun-14 22:45:41

maybe check him for food intolerances? e.g. york test (google). Since I removed my triggers and my boys we've been sleeping properly! just a week in and improving….

Piratejones Mon 16-Jun-14 22:48:50

DN has been awake longer in the past, as a side effect of sedatives.

Is there someone who you can call to keep an eye on him for a while so you can get some sleep?

KoalaFace Mon 16-Jun-14 22:50:44

I was going to mention food intolerances as well Telephone.

To be honest even if he falls asleep now and sleeps for a solid eight hours I'd still make him an appointment to see a doctor about maybe altering his medication.

You must be exhausted. sad

Is there anything that engrosses him enough for you to settle him down to do it in bed with you while you get some shut eye? A sticker book or movie or something?

Piratejones Mon 16-Jun-14 23:00:23

Don't be worried if he just suddenly drops off.

deakymom Mon 16-Jun-14 23:03:22

lock him in the room with you the tv and something soothing (make sure the room is safe in case you doze off

is there anyone you can call to do sentry duty? you need sleep yoo xx

Piratejones Mon 16-Jun-14 23:07:08

I doubt you still have one, but my 6 year old (Nephew mentioned about) is hypnotised with a dummy, he will settle down and be transfixed sucking it, while he's quiet you could get a few ZZZZ's.

Sonumb Mon 16-Jun-14 23:15:44

He can escape out of anywhere, I swear he would manage to get out of Alcatraz.
He only stops to eat but that's not making/helping him sleep either

TheThreeCheesesOfTheApocalypse Mon 16-Jun-14 23:21:18

Have you tried deep pressure ?

I have two dcs who have Autism and we've had every sleep issue going, a weighted blanket has worked wonders, (( you can cobble a diy one by leaning over him or wrapping tightly in duvet ))so much so ds has been known to hide it if he wants to stay awake through sheer, bloodymindedness !! White noise is good too, ie a fan or hairdryer.

TheThreeCheesesOfTheApocalypse Mon 16-Jun-14 23:22:57

3 nights solid was our record btw <<< hugs >>>

mrswishywashy Mon 16-Jun-14 23:26:46

If this is a long term issue I'd look into contacting millpond or Southampton sleep clinic. They will be able to help get a routine going and have tips for helping him to sleep. I've attended study days with both and they both have worked with children who have ADHD diagnose and are medicated for it and when they children's sleep patterns have being worked on they have being able to come off the medication. They say in half the cases they see of children with ADHD that changing sleep patterns take away the symptoms of ADHD. They wish gps would refer more to sleep deprivation before giving drugs.

Hopefully he will settle down soon and you can get some rest.

Sonumb Mon 16-Jun-14 23:35:00

Cheeses he has managed 4 nights before but that was when he was 2yo & would quite happily play with his trains so I could sleep blush
His dad usually helps but he is working nights.

Would the sleep clinic be any good for me as I'm at the opposite end of the UK?

Sonumb Mon 16-Jun-14 23:39:15

Cheeses he cant/won't sleep with a blanket on him at all, I have tried everything but he is just so restless when he sleeps I have had to put him back in a cot bed as he just fell out of Bed constantly even with the bed guards, He would sleep naked if I let him hmm

Mrsjayy Mon 16-Jun-14 23:47:49

You poor thing you must be shattered what is he doing now would not pkay a game on your phone or something I your bed so you can sleep, are you going to send hi to school tomorrow is there nobody to help u out tomorrow so you can sleep, that must be so difficult I had a non sleeper but she wouldnt be up that long , ring dr tomorrow

Trollsworth Mon 16-Jun-14 23:51:17

Put a film on your laptop, and barricade him in your room with you. Then sleep.

Trollsworth Mon 16-Jun-14 23:52:23

Or.

Put him in his too, and shut the door. Get your duvet and lie across his doorway.

OorWullie Mon 16-Jun-14 23:55:56

I agree with others who have said make the room safe and give him your phone or a movie on the tv and doze a bit either on the couch or in bed.

Lack of sleep wont be doing you any favours when you need to look after him. I'm recovering from some injuries and am really tired in the day as a result, i've dozed on the couch a bit and DS (4) has been ok on his own with a new movie to hold his attention. I'm still aware enough to listen out for him but dozing enough to get the benefits of rest. He might even end up joining
you.

If all else fails can you get some sleep while he is at school tomorrow?

deakymom Mon 16-Jun-14 23:57:57

let him sleep naked put the heating on it might help!

Sonumb Tue 17-Jun-14 00:01:55

He is trying to get the cat to sword fight with him atm confused well at least that's what I think he is doing I could be hallucinating for all I know.
I'm going to give him another bowl of porridge and then I'll barricade us both in the spare room as that's the one room with the least dangers, I'll try and find a film to hold his attention for longer than 2 minutes thanks

Doctor is useless and just keeps saying their is nothing else they can do and hopefully he will grow out of it, so I need to change doctors before I lose it with them

Sonumb Tue 17-Jun-14 00:03:41

deaky I'd love to but he has Asthma, so the heating dries his chest up & I'm paranoid about him getting Pneumonia/bronchitis again if he gets cold etc

sleepdodger Tue 17-Jun-14 00:06:02

GOOGLE THE CHILDRENS SLEEP CHARITY - FABULOUS PEOPLE, AND A CHARITY AS NAME SUGGESTS. JUST BRILLIANT

Sonumb Tue 17-Jun-14 00:20:56

I'll have a look now sleep

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now