Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I've started walking as a mild form of excercise...

(21 Posts)
partialderivative Mon 16-Jun-14 16:15:31

I've been doing this with my DP for about 3 weeks, 25 mins per evening walking up and down local hills until we are breathless.

When will we start to feel any benefits, and what will they feel like?

We can both walk a lot further without panting, that's good. But will there be anything else apart from being able to walk a bit longer before we get breathless?

I'm in my mid-50's and have done very very little exercise for the last decade or more. Even then I don't think I could really describe myself as being fit since my mid-20's

So, please tell me what I have to look forward to if I persevere.

RingleaderOfTheTormentors Mon 16-Jun-14 16:22:00

Everyday tasks will become easier. You will feel the HIGH after exercise. You will get out and say hello to people on your way, smiling makes you feel good. So much better than watching TV for that 25 mins.
You are spending quality time with DP and can chat about things on your mind. (You don't have to look at each other so people often find it easier to chat about important stuff on a walk)
You will save on your heating and electricity bills for being out of the house. YOu will think more carefully about your diet to make the most of your new healthy lifestyle.
Clothes will fit better, you will feel stronger, your muscles will feel tighter and more toned.
You will have more stamina.
Sex will be LOADS better. smile

BrokenToeOuch Mon 16-Jun-14 16:26:54

Hmmm. I walk quickly for 2 hours three times a week and haven't really noticed any benefits other than sleeping very well which I know is great.
Its just nice to get out and about and discover nee local places and areas I had never seen before.
Persevere but maybe build the distance up a bit?

partialderivative Mon 16-Jun-14 16:27:36

Cor! When will any of that start kicking in? I do love the chance to chat with DP in a way we don't do nearly often enough.

With regards the thinking about diet more carefully, I am probably going to stop reaching for a cold beer from the fridge the moment I get back.

Thank you ringleader.

partialderivative Mon 16-Jun-14 16:31:41

Broken toe: I really am at the bottom of the league when it comes to fitness, so whilst 25 mins may look trivial to you, it's a big deal for me. Esp since all of it is up and down hills.

2 hours a day! Is that in one go?

You won't need me to congratulate you, but I am impressed.

PeppermintInfusion Mon 16-Jun-14 16:34:13

When I get into regular walking I always notice I have much better posture and I can feel a bit of toning around my thighs and abdomen. Also it's easier to do strenuous things around the house.

mumofthemonsters808 Mon 16-Jun-14 16:39:09

Good for you, I walk everywhere because I do not drive and it really is good for the soul.

BumpNGrind Mon 16-Jun-14 16:57:40

I walk a lot with DH in the summer, same thing as you really but maybe for a bit longer. I really noticed a change in my mental health, I feel a lot calmer after a tough day and also a lot closer to my DH.

I can't say I lost loads of weight, maybe a couple of lbs last summer, I'm pregnant at the moment so not really checking too closely. If you are doing this for weight loss you have to really up the intensity (my dm lost 5stone through walking and smaller portion sizes).

BrokenToeOuch Mon 16-Jun-14 17:03:49

Oh no, 25 mins of uphill doesn't look trivial at all! I've been doing it for about 3 years now, since I stopped running. Yes the 2 hours is in one go, on my app it works out at an average of about 7 miles which isn't fast, but I really appreciate just being able to walk without the dc slowing me down!
I go on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night, would love to be able to get out more.
Just enjoy going I think, health benefits will be a bonus then smile

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 16-Jun-14 17:10:23

The way to really feel the difference would be to clone yourself 199 times, for 100 of you to keep walking and 100 of you to stop. Then count how many of you get dementia and how many of you get breast cancer twenty years down the line.

You'll never know for sure what difference it makes to you personally when it comes to the major diseases of old age, but discounting the life or death stuff, keeping seriously active in your fifties can also make the difference between being the sort of old lady who you look at and think "gosh, she's an inspiration, I hope I'm like that when I'm 82" and....the other sort. It's what helps you stay able to get out of a chair unaided, have a bath without help, pick up that thing you dropped on the floor. Grim thought, and of course some people will do everything "right" and still get unlucky with their health, but basically it's an investment in your grandparenting years.

partialderivative Mon 16-Jun-14 17:31:31

Thanks to all who have replied.

I hadn't noticed some of the stuff people have replied, until I read it here.

It's been so long since I did any form of physical movement apart from going up and down stairs (I thought that this would count of I did it 3 or 4 times a day)

It is very good for my self esteem!

mupperoon Mon 16-Jun-14 17:31:34

Walking, especially up and down hills, is just about the best exercise ever! As others have pointed out, the benefits are incremental and you will suddenly realise one day that you are much fitter and possibly more relaxed than you were 2 or 4 months ago.

Eventually you'll feel like you're missing out when you're not able to get out for a walk - I am missing long hilly walks terribly now I'm pregnant!

I lost loads of weight training for long distance walking challenges and my fitness levels improved massively, as well as my blood pressure and pulse rate falling. Having a goal beyond your own health really motivates you. You might not want to try a 100km walk over 24 hours just yet, but there's loads of shorter charity walks to try. My MIL has done the 22.5km Marsden March a couple of times now and she's in her mid 60s - even my exercise shy other half really enjoys that walk too!

bobsleighteam Mon 16-Jun-14 17:35:38

I walk for a living (think local delivery person) and cover 7 miles everyday not including weekends. that now takes me about one hour 40 mins to do. when I first started it was about 2.30 hrs. so ive gotten much faster, I feel fitter, never get out of breath these days and im losing weight without having to diet or watch my figure.

BravePotato Mon 16-Jun-14 17:42:15

you can look forward to better skin (better skin colour) from the exercise, improved circulation and fresh air.

You will sleep better as well.

You will clear your head whilst walking or think things through without distraction.

your metabolism will go up, your body will burn calories faster.

it will improve your mood and general sense of wellbeing

you have made a good start!

I got a dog 6 months ago, and walk an hour a day, and I feel it has been very beneficial all round.

partialderivative Mon 16-Jun-14 17:58:10

I hope I'll be able to come back here in a couple of months and let you all know how things have been.

Feeling good just now, especially after reading all your encouraging posts.

We just got back from our longest walk yet (maybe 1.5 miles, we're not talking the marathon yet) It took 28 mins. and it was very hilly!

BeachyKeen Mon 16-Jun-14 18:12:48

That is the great thing with exercise, the more you do it, the better it feels!

Spaghettio Mon 16-Jun-14 18:19:15

If you're interested in the stats, many walking apps for your phone will record the distance, the time and even the elevation you do. If nothing e,we, it's quite interesting to look at - and maybe compare it in a couple of months.

RingleaderOfTheTormentors Mon 16-Jun-14 21:39:07

Yes, Strava is a great free app for your phone, it tracks your route: speed, elevation, calories. Each section of the route is seperate, and you will get Personal Besty alerts every time you do better on each section. And if you do better than anyone else on your route, you get Queen of The Mountain which is very motivating smile

fuckinglondonballs Mon 16-Jun-14 21:48:42

Well done OP! I really want to start doing this.

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Mon 16-Jun-14 21:51:57

You might not notice the gradual change, but I bet if you stopped for a couple of weeks you would notice the difference grin

I walk most places as I don't drive, and while I don't lose weight I don't put it on either!

BlackeyedSusan Mon 16-Jun-14 21:54:43

our postie bounds up and down the stairs. two flights in each hallway. 7 hallways. I am gusessing they get used to it over time.

as for me. 25 mins is good. I can do longer when I have a reason but otherwise not. i try to build it into everyday life but not doing so well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now