Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Dinner ideas for hot weather,but not BBQ!

(26 Posts)
123Jump Mon 16-Jun-14 14:51:51

I have an Aga, and its too hot to even think about making a big dinner this evening.
We BBQ a lot, so I'm looking for an alternative. What do you do in this hot weather?
I'm not a big meat eater, but DH and DCs are. Just looking for new ideas...

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Mon 16-Jun-14 14:55:57

Salad and cold meat/pork pie etc.

Meat and veg, but light sauce, no gravy, no potatos.

Our favourite is hot chicken and bacon salad - usual salad with diced hot chicken and bacon tossed in.

BrokenToeOuch Mon 16-Jun-14 15:00:12

Dd1s favourite in summer is chicken bacon and avocado salad.
I make big tabbouleh salads and eat some in pittas with feta.
Roasted pepper salads with bread/olives/cheese.
Greek salad with marinated griddled chicken and tzatziki.
Fish?
Picnics?

Morethanalittlebitconfused Mon 16-Jun-14 15:02:52

Fish is my go to dinner at this time of year

Eebahgum Mon 16-Jun-14 15:13:32

Salmon with a big plate of salad & a jacket potato.

losersaywhat Mon 16-Jun-14 16:00:43

Tonight will be boiled potatoes, salad, coleslaw, chicken, baguette and whatever else is in the fridge that goes with it.

MTWTFSS Mon 16-Jun-14 16:02:28

Tomato & melon salad with your choice of steamed fish smile

lucysmam Mon 16-Jun-14 16:05:42

We're having chicken salad wraps tonight, maybe a handful of chips with them...when I get off my bum to do them

BrieAndChilli Mon 16-Jun-14 16:13:39

Quiche and salad
Couscous and chicken
Chicken wraps
Hot dogs
Salmon and new potatoes
Carbonara
Pizza

StoneFoxMama Mon 16-Jun-14 16:15:14

I do a summer roast, Asian style.
Marinade a whole chicken in fish sauce, soy, honey, red chillies, loads of garlic, ginger,lime, spring onion and fresh coriander. Bung it all in a clay pot/slow roaster and cook low and slow. You'll get a lovely rich sauce if you spoon off the oil at the end.

Serve it with corn on the cob, New potatoes, cucumber salad dressed with rice vinegar, soy, sesame oil and sesame seeds and jullienne courgette and carrots.

StoneFoxMama Mon 16-Jun-14 16:20:28

Also obsessed with this pasta dish, it's surprisingly light.
Chuck a bit of butter and milk in a pan, 1 tub mascarpone, 1 block of feta (this will make loads, you can half) melt it all together. Pop asparagus under a hot grill drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper.

When asparagus are cooked through chuck into cheese sauce, squeeze lemon juice into mix, loads of parsley and mix into cooked pasta, lots of black pepper. I'm having this tonight! (You can be indulgent and add parmesan at the end too)

I'm going to StoneFoxMama's house for dinner! That sounds amazing.

I often search for Mediterranean meals online during the summer. Today we're having Spanish chicken with last night's leftover roast chicken, with roasted new potatoes with rosemary and garlic.
I tend to do lots of vegetable pasta and rice dishes.

rolypolydoll Mon 16-Jun-14 16:23:40

Tapas good for hot weather. Or Mexican.

MrsLeonard Mon 16-Jun-14 16:27:12

tonight we are having pork chops with boiled new spuds, baby corn and asparagus.

ChairmanWow Mon 16-Jun-14 16:32:10

I'm veggie and sometimes just griddle or roast a load of aubergines, peppers, courgettes and onions. Then I can store them in oil and they're ready to have with salads, feta, goats cheese or whatever. Nice in wraps with Humous too. Puy lentils with mint, thyme and goats cheese is v yummy (served cold), also spinach and feta in filo pastry. There's a gorgeous Yotam Ottolenghi recipe with noodles I make, aubergine and mango which sounds weird but is actually really gorgeous and zingy.

I'm hungry now!

ChairmanWow Mon 16-Jun-14 16:34:14

Sorry, I mistyped there - the Yotam recipe is noodles, aubergine and mango with a limey dressing. I want to eat it now! Can someone send Yotam over pls

StoneFoxMama Mon 16-Jun-14 16:36:41

Anytime little I have feeder tendencies!

notamonkeysuncle Mon 16-Jun-14 16:39:16

Tonight we're having a sort of chicken tarragon with peppers and onions. Served with salad. DP will have new potatoes too but im LC so not for me.
DD is having sausage mash and beans. Not exactly summery but its her chose tonight as we'll be eating later

Salad, salad, salad. I made a giant couscous and roasted veg salad at the weekend. Was delicious. I love a massive Greek salad ( nigella Summer has a really tasty dressing).
The other week we had grilled salmon on puy lentils with beetroot. Sounds odd but the earthy taste of Beetroot was really tasty with lentils.
Another big summer favourite is frittata with whatever leftovers I've got. Often chorizo and peppers but I love pea and feta too.

MrsWombat Mon 16-Jun-14 16:44:10

Roast a chicken and boil some potatoes early in the morning when it's cooler. Cool them down, then store in the fridge till dinner time and serve with salad. This lasts a couple of days and I add things like pasta/pesto, and other cold meats over the next days.

Lasagne and salad.
Grilled fish and salad.

MasqueradeWaltzer Mon 16-Jun-14 16:45:14

I nearly started this exact thread last week - thanks, OP.

I really crave couscous with roasted veg in this weather but sadly am the only one in the family who will eat it hmm. Also, salmon, lots of fish dishes, lentil salads etc.

Toadsrevisited Mon 16-Jun-14 16:45:39

Chicken breasts diced, cherry toms and then stir in a pot of pesto and a pot of creme fraiche. Yum. Proper recipe here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1521/summerinwinter-chicken

It always puzzles me this idea that you eat different food when it's hot. Why?
My mother always used to sigh annoyingly and say, "it's too hot to feel hungry"
The weather doesn't affect my appetite.

StoneFoxMama Mon 16-Jun-14 17:02:09

I don't know your I just try to eat seasonally.

I'm doing quiche and salad for me and dh.

The boys are having yesterdays leftover roast dinner with home made wedges, they like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now