Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Loom band novice. Please tell me the best loom and where to buy.

(40 Posts)
MotleyCroup Mon 16-Jun-14 14:06:28

OK, so I've bought the bands and managed to make a fishtail bracelet using my own (poor) fingers. Ds hasn't got the patience to sit and watch yet, so I thought I'd go to the next stage and buy a loom but which one?

Just seen a Monster Tail loom on amazon which states it's more user friendly and is less bulky. Has anyone got one of these? Can you do the normal bracelets from the Rainbow Loom site on a Monster Tail Loom?

I've got quite a few packets of the bands (went mad last week) which I think will last us for the next 12 months grin I didn't realise just how few were needed for each bracelet.

Any tips on the best places to buy and which loom greatly appreciated.

Quite into making these myself.

monster tails are small (ours just arrived today) as they only have 8 pins on them. I got a proper rainbow loom which is pricier than some of the others. You would need a proper loom to do most of the bracelets. I got ours from amazon.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Official-Rainbow-Loom-2-0-Kit-Metal-Hook-Tool-Secret-Code-Included-/371065651801?pt=UK_Crafts_Children_s_Crafts_EH&hash=item56653c8259 - this is the same one on ebay and it comes with a metal hook

p.s. I dont mean you have to get a genuine rainbow loom but that you would need a bigger rainbow loom to do more complex designs.

Glittertwins Mon 16-Jun-14 14:38:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MotleyCroup Mon 16-Jun-14 14:40:59

Ilove, thank you. That clears the confusion between the two looms.

I'll check out the link later grin

MotleyCroup Mon 16-Jun-14 14:41:55

Thanks Glitter. Will look into this too. Grabbed a moment to come on here while I'm at work.

GobbolinoCat Mon 16-Jun-14 14:43:12

good thread, am watching with interest...am going to be entertaining this world shortly, perhaps for an xmas present...keep dd going through long winter months grin

crazykat Mon 16-Jun-14 14:54:23

Once you start making the trickier thick bracelets they use quite a few bands, I think the most I've used is about 80 bands for one bracelet.

I'd also suggest getting a couple of packets of all white/black bands as you tend to use more of these in the 'border' for the thicker bracelets.

YouTube is brilliant for tutorials though some are better than others. The instructions you get with most looms are rubbish and almost impossible to decipher.

ProfYaffle Mon 16-Jun-14 14:58:11

Be careful what you order if you go to Amazon. I ordered what I thought was an official Rainbow Loom but a crappy cheap copy (not even pretending to be a Rainbow Loom) arrived. Check the reviews, the fake one has lots of negatives. I'm in the process of getting a refund.

LurcioAgain Mon 16-Jun-14 15:00:20

I suspect (having spent the weekend with DS's new passion) that to make the thicker ones long enough, you'd need a bigger loom than the kit we got... But I reckon you could make your own with a 3" softwood plank, a shedload of panel pins and a crochet hook!

DS has decided he likes the thin ones and is just doing them on his fingers.

I would buy the genuine rainbow loom
If you want to follow the YouTube instructions. We have looms from the entertainer which are fine for a few bracelets but when we've come to try and make hearts/pandas etc the hooks are set out a bit different and so we couldn't do them. Wish if just brought the rainbow loom to begin with b

Glittertwins Mon 16-Jun-14 15:58:10

Sorry, the link I posted up would have taken you directly into my amazon account!
The loom we have is Loom Twister and has 13 pins per row.

ChuffinEllAsLike Mon 16-Jun-14 16:02:15

We have a loom which has 13 points going up.

As does the girls on the youtube clip.
And yet, when she pulls off her single band and we pull of ours, hers is considerably longer and sits nicely on her wrist,

Yet ours come off and they are tiny and are very tight on even my sons skinny wrists.

I dont get it?

you have to do an extension for the bracelets to get them to fit.

www.rainbowloom.com/instructions - all these show you how to extend the bracelets after removing them from the loom. We normally need 7 or 8 extra bands to get the bracelet the correct length

the best looms can also be moved about so that you can have a square configuration or a staggered one as different bracelets may require a different loom set up. You can remove the blue back bits on the rainbow loom and move the sets of pins about to suit the bracelet you are making

utahforever Mon 16-Jun-14 16:13:50

I bought a cheapy one from the Entertainer, but found it frustrating. Found the proper Rainbow loom in Claires (bit surprised), and it is much better made - although more expensive.

hth

I'm just watching a demo for the first, basic beginners band and WTF?? Kids do this?

ChuffinEllAsLike Mon 16-Jun-14 16:25:49

No their parents do.

[arghhhh emoticon]

Dancingwiththedrummer Mon 16-Jun-14 16:26:12

We got the official rainbow loom, it snapped sad got a cra z loom and it's great! Lots thicker and more durable than rainbow loom! You can buy extensions for this too

ChuffinEllAsLike Mon 16-Jun-14 16:27:54

And ilovepower the girl didnt do an extension. I assumed she would but she didnt.

this one

FourForksAche Mon 16-Jun-14 16:55:43

we got a cheap 2.99 one from eBay, it's small but good for the price.

we got a slightly bigger one with bands for a fiver in the entertainer toyshop.

PrueDent Mon 16-Jun-14 17:00:00

Chuffin I'd guess the girl's bands were slightly bigger than yours, and her wrist quite small. We have lots of packs from different places and some are bigger than others.

PrueDent Mon 16-Jun-14 17:04:49

I've ordered an ateam loom for myself dd.

Hoping it's ok as our cheap one broke.

some bands are also stretchier than others, maybe yours are quite tight and thats why the bracelet is smaller

PrueDent Mon 16-Jun-14 17:29:17

Chuffin I'd guess the girl's bands were slightly bigger than yours, and her wrist quite small. We have lots of packs from different places and some are bigger than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now