Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I got my degree results today and I'm so disappointed

(81 Posts)
unreasonablyupset Mon 16-Jun-14 10:04:53

I was so near a first. I know a 2:i is really, really good but... I worked so hard. I was so close. And everyone is being so terribly nice and I feel so ungrateful because I just need to cry sad

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 16-Jun-14 10:08:24

I know how you feel half a percent for me. But 19 years on nobody is interested.
Congratulations a 2:1 is a huge achievement.
On CV's I always listed the modules I had got firsts in and the prizes I had one which helped to high light just how close I was.

SecretSix Mon 16-Jun-14 10:10:22

I'm sorry you didn't get the result you wanted but a 2:1 is still amazing. Be proud of all your hard work! I don't know much about degrees, is there any option for re-marking if you think it's justified?

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Mon 16-Jun-14 10:10:46

That sucks when you were so close but congratulations on your 2:1.

Offler Mon 16-Jun-14 10:12:10

Aw, OP don't be hard on yourself ((un-mnetty hug). You have done so well, a 2:1 is great. You worked your hardest and you should be proud of what you have acheived whether it was a 3rd, 2:2, 2:1 or a 1st.

You get a well deserved pat on the back from me smile

Have some thanks & cake

unreasonablyupset Mon 16-Jun-14 10:12:39

I was 1% and I thought that was harsh!

Thank you flowers

Graduation is only three weeks away so I don't think there's a chance of an appeal. It's all double marked anyway.

katienana Mon 16-Jun-14 10:20:11

A 2:1 is a great result, it's great that you worked hard and were close to a first. Did you really need a first or was it more for your own sense of achievement? It is very unlikely to hold you back in anyway. I know lots of people with 2:2 who have gone on to have great careers.

morethanalltheteainchina Mon 16-Jun-14 10:22:31

Firstly, congratulations. A 2:1 is still really impressive.

I graduated 5 years ago and no one has ever asked me what degree classification I was awarded. I think they are more interested in the subject and where I studied.

I know it's not the same but I was 1 mark off an A in one of my A Level subjects, which then spoilt my AAAA run. I was quite disappointed at the time but one of my teachers told me that the markers would have been aware that I was 'only' one mark off an A and therefore would have made a conscious decision not to award that extra mark and the higher grade. I'm not sure if this is the same at degree level but I would imagine that this might be the case.

EatBananaZombie Mon 16-Jun-14 10:24:42

Take yourself off to the loo, lock the door and cry. Honestly, crying is ok.

Its also the end of a lot of hard work/possibly stress so that will be adding to your emotional reaction.
I understand. This was me many years ago. No one could understand why i felt so bad. I was so cross with myself. I look back and can see the emotional roller coaster of the degree ending and stress at not knowing what the future held was really weighing on my mind and adding to my distress.

2:1 is a great achievement! I know its easier said than done but try to focus on the positives by moving forward and not dwell on what you "could have" done.
I got straight on with a project and i think this helped me over my disappointment by refocusing my attention on that instead of dwelling on what could have been.

Have one of these wine and go easy on yourself.

Prettykitty111 Mon 16-Jun-14 10:25:14

OP a 2:1 is pretty amazing congratulations. I know it doesn't feel like it now because you had your heart set on a first but ime employers prefer 2:1s mine definitely would employ a 2:1 over a 1st.
I understand how you feel as I got a 2:2 expecting a 2:1 and felt it was the first time I'd ever "failed" anything but ten years later I'm just proud I did it at all.
You got a degree and that is an amazing achievement in itself. Go have your cry if you need to its understandable to be disappointed if you wanted and expected that first but then go out and celebrate!

unreasonablyupset Mon 16-Jun-14 10:27:29

Now I feel shit because I phoned my mum and she started crying 'for me'. FFS.

Definitely need wine. Buckets of the stuff wine

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Mon 16-Jun-14 10:33:39

I actually think it's good you can cry, don't bottle it up. I always think things seem a bit better after a good blab.

HannahLaRouge Mon 16-Jun-14 10:33:40

I was 0.4% off a first - was fuming at the time but have never ever had to state my degree classification. Congratulations!

tilliebob Mon 16-Jun-14 10:35:21

Aww, I was one sodding A away from a first class honours degree and it still annoys me over 20 years later.

However, no one knows, asks or cares apart from you, to be honest, after a wee while.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 16-Jun-14 10:38:12

I understand. It's so much easier to miss it by a mile than by a hair's breath. It's the difference between 'distinction' and non-distinction for everything else.

Even though it's not reasonable to run a sword through yourself and your achievement, it's understandable to feel like an 'also ran' and that nobody remembers who was 'second', etc.

You will NOT always feel this way, OP. You will come to terms with it and rightly feel proud of your achievement. You just want to be heard in your disappointment right now. I'm hearing you. thanks

unreasonablyupset Mon 16-Jun-14 10:39:32

0.4%! That's just unfair!

I think I need to get out and celebrate. No point wallowing, is there!

Lesshastemorespeed Mon 16-Jun-14 10:39:45

Congratulations on your 2:1. Can you ask for a re-mark/appeal <no idea of correct terminology>

I was 3% off a first and I always regret not asking about that.

Mrsjayy Mon 16-Jun-14 10:43:52

It is ok to feel dissapointed ypu must feel gutted especially as it was so close congratultions though have a strop and a cry, then revel in the fact you have a degree well done

FragglerockAmpersand Mon 16-Jun-14 10:43:59

CONGRATULATIONS. flowers wine

Take it from me, if you get a first, literally no-one gives a flying fuck roughly ten minutes after you graduate grin

I know it's gutting to be so near but honestly, revel in how brilliantly you did.

FragglerockAmpersand Mon 16-Jun-14 10:44:36

Also your Mum was very naughty hmm And should know better. So there.

meerschweinchen Mon 16-Jun-14 10:45:13

I'm sorry. It's hard when you were so close, and understandably you'll be disappointed. BUT you have just got a very good degree. It's still a great achievement, so do try to celebrate and be proud of yourself.

As several others have said, it will bother you, but no- one else. In the scheme of things it really won't make any difference, and I'm sure you'll go on to have a great career, whatever you've chosen to do.

WellWhoKnew Mon 16-Jun-14 10:53:13

I was 0.5% off a first but was always told 'a first makes you look too much like a SWOT, and 2:1 means you had room to party hard, whilst not neglecting your duties.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda I'm afraid.

Anyway you could always go on to do a Masters and re-dress the balance then (I did!!).

And congratulations, by the way, you have done really well to have completed a degree.

Definitely go with the wine.

Tell your mum (in the nicest way) to knock it off. She should be very proud of you.

I have a 2:1 ... I don't believe it has held me back. I'm guessing you maybe got firsts in some papers? If so, remember that.

It's not 'ungrateful' to want to have a good cry, though. Get it all out of your system and then you'll be much more able to accept it later on - and you'll find some of the pride creeping in, I bet.

Greenrememberedhills Mon 16-Jun-14 11:14:23

Now listen up!

That is a fantastic result.

Now is a VERY good time in your life to learn not to be too hard on yourself. To pat yourself on the back. And to see the glass as mostly full.

Because 1. You have done well.

And 2. A feeling that you should have done better is an easily developed habit, and doesn't lead to happiness.

I got a first, but it took me YEARS to learn that. Which would have been better than a first.

toothlessdragon Mon 16-Jun-14 11:18:56

Honestly, university exam boards and external examiners look incredibly carefully at borderline cases. No-one misses a first if they can possibly be considered for one, the whole run of marks is carefully examined and discussed in every case. Try not to fret about it and enjoy the great mark you got.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now