Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

It's all jealousy but is it really worth working??

(144 Posts)
Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 16:31:45

My friend is a single mum (kind of) of two kids (2.5 and 7 months) and she is receiving £18 more a week in working tax credits than my reasonably paid 47hours a week job. She can do this until the youngest is five. She will also receive housing benefit that is £5 a month short of her rented and well maintained house.

So basically she's got a shit load of money. Her DP earns about 18k a year.

I mean, really, why do I work when if have a much better life and be much better off not doing so???

To be clear, this is about the system and not those who use it. I also have nothing against my friend apart from jealousy because now she can afford all the things I can't hmm

Piratejones Sun 08-Jun-14 16:34:36

Shouldn't you be thankful for what you have?

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Sun 08-Jun-14 16:36:08

Because you're not relying on handouts. You may be have a chance of career progression, pay rises, pensions, income beyond the next few years. It is a more secure future.

EatShitDerek Sun 08-Jun-14 16:36:14

Yes because been a single parent is a better life. I'd rather work but shit happens. Pack in your job and give it a go

Nulliferous Sun 08-Jun-14 16:37:31

Go for it, OP.

But just be aware that benefits can go down, as well as up. It's a hell of a gamble to put your family's income into the hands of the like of IDS.

Personally, I'd rather work and be self-reliant. Who wants to sit at home on bennies for five years? What will your friend do when her kids grow up & the government money tap is turned off?

So is she single or not confused

EatShitDerek Sun 08-Jun-14 16:39:51

Exit I'm thinking she has a partner who isn't her child's father. Only way it makes sense

Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 16:42:46

Derek, she's not really a single parent.

I wouldn't want a life on benefits and I'm happy with my own. (Obv there are many things I desire but I'm happy with what I have) Like you say, it's more reliable.

I just don't think 'the system' inspires people to work sometimes. If I was her, I'd have no desire to look for work until DC was 5.

If you truly didn't want to work, I'd imagine you'd pop a child out every five years. Work would probably be easier wink

Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 16:43:43

She has a partner who is both children's father. He lives with his mum still iyswim.

Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 16:45:00

I may as well bleeding say it now, anonymous and that. He doesn't actually live with his mum...

shopaholicbookworm Sun 08-Jun-14 16:45:04

Agree with others here that being in work is better in the long term both financially and otherwise. How easy will it be for your friend to get a good job if/when she does eventually go back to work?

It may seem that she is better off at the moment but that won't last - 5, 10, 20 years down the line you'll be the one in the better position.

Think of the positives in your life and don't get distracted by what others have - the grass is always greener.

SpiceAddict Sun 08-Jun-14 16:46:35

So she probably shouldn't be claiming at all and is committing fraud.

GemmaPuddledDuck Sun 08-Jun-14 16:48:15

So you're annoyed about benefits fraud then?

EatShitDerek Sun 08-Jun-14 16:50:02

So what is the real.point of this thread? The fact she is a single mum on benefits like stated in your OP or the fact her and her partner are committing benefit fraud that you drip fed into it?

Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 16:50:48

Yes but it's easily done (so they say) I hear everyone's At it confused

Im a single parent. I get my Childcare almost paid for. That's it. I have an ungodly situation where I still share the house with XP as we have a mortgage. Can't sell til the fixed term is up and can't afford to move out. It's ok tho, he was out til stupid o'clock and is STILL IN FUCKING BED!!! Can anyone guess why he's XP wink

DoAndroidsDream Sun 08-Jun-14 16:51:43

If her partner's living with her then she isn't single and shouldn't be claiming as a single parent.

Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 16:52:52

The real point is unrelated to my friend but I use her as an example.

For many people who are single parents with kids, it really isn't worth working. That's my point. It's an unfortunate spiral/catch 22 hmm

DoAndroidsDream Sun 08-Jun-14 16:53:40

Yes but it's easily done (so they say) I hear everyone's At it

Who's they? Everyone isn't at it.

Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 16:53:42

He lives with her the three days or whatever is apparently allowed.

Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 16:55:26

DoAndroids, i hear everyone's at it. As in, that's what I've been told. I don't know any more than that...

EatShitDerek Sun 08-Jun-14 16:55:35

If she receives working tax isn't she working them?

And you are the thread about your friend by making a whole OP about them

Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 16:59:55

Because it took that long to describe it? Perhaps I could have described it better. It's done now.

Tax credits in general. Not sure why I put working blush

I don't work and I absolutely despise being on benefits! I hate it! The idea was that I would find a full time job and my H would stay at home and watch the children but I couldn't find one and he left recently so now I'm stuck! I can't afford childcare but even if I could manage to get a job where I would be no better off but could afford my rent, childcare, bills and food, I would do it! I hate being stuck at home. It's not that much fun, you know?

Raskova Sun 08-Jun-14 17:07:26

I completely agree dozy and I'm not saying it's fun at all. But that's my point, where is the help for you to get out of that situation?

Well, if she's committing fraud there's no point comparing, is there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now