Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What can I do with a bag of kale?

(43 Posts)
MB34 Sat 07-Jun-14 18:43:40

Apart from roast in the oven to make 'crisps' (tried that once and it wasn't a success!) how can I use it/what can I make out of it?

Clobbered Sat 07-Jun-14 18:45:08

Soup!

Valsoldknickers Sat 07-Jun-14 18:52:19

Make colcannon by boiling it and then mixing it through mashed potato and onions (use loads of butter to lightly fry the onions and stir through the mashed spud). Really scrummy!

Eaten in copious amounts by us Irish at Halloween (with money wrapped in tin foil hidden inside it as an added bonus)!

Mcnorton Sat 07-Jun-14 18:54:21

Mmmm yummy colcannon. It's good in stir fry too.

Cocolepew Sat 07-Jun-14 18:56:14

Burn it for warmth.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Sat 07-Jun-14 18:56:27

It's delicious if you lightly steam it, and then stir-fry in a bit of butter or olive oil, seasoned either just salt and pepper, or add some cumin, whatever takes your fancy - makes a lovely side dish. It's my daughter's favourite green veg.

immortalwife Sat 07-Jun-14 18:57:30

Like valsoldknickers says, cook it like spinach and put it in your mash... Yum

Cornettoninja Sat 07-Jun-14 18:59:00

I like it in an omelette. Bang it in and it'll wilt like spinach.

ShangriLaLaLa Sat 07-Jun-14 18:59:13

Make lovely Leon sausage, kale and flageolet cassoulet. Simple and always fantastic.

Framboisier Sat 07-Jun-14 18:59:48

One of our favourite pasta dishes is penne with kale, chilli and anchovies. Think the recipe came from BBC Good Food. It's lovely...wish I had some kale now!

MrsFlorrick Sat 07-Jun-14 19:02:07

Kale chips. Olive oil into a large roasting tin with salt and spices. You could use a peri peri type or just chilli with salt. Garlic salt on its own. Endless combos what ever you like.

Then add kale and stir and turn it to coat it in oil and spice mix.

Then into oven for circa 20mins on a low heat (130/140c). Presto nice and crispy kale chips.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 07-Jun-14 19:05:05

Chop and add to stir fries.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Sat 07-Jun-14 19:05:15

Compost heap.

Stir fry in a wok very hot with lots of salt. I love kale. I even like to snack on it straight out of the fridge.

FishWithABicycle Sat 07-Jun-14 19:15:05

yay I bought Kale today too. it's great.
I'm making colcannon and having it with sausages.
I steam the kale (shreaded) in a basket above the potatos as they boil, meanwhile fry leeks (or onions but I have leeks). When the pots are done I tip the kale in with the leeks to dry them out a bit while I mash the potatos with a bit of cheddar and a spoonful of mayonaise. Then mix the lot together.
I'm making extra today because I want to have some leftovers to make some little fried patties of it with brunch tomorrow morning.

Randomeclectic Sat 07-Jun-14 19:20:00

Use it like spinach or cabbage

ej23 Sat 07-Jun-14 19:27:51

Stir fried with garlic and served as a side is nice.

AwkwardSquad Sat 07-Jun-14 19:43:36

Shred it and wash, then cook by putting in pan with good knob of butter and cook on low heat with lid on. It doesn't need any more water adding to it. Give it a toss occasionally, cook till tender. Then serve seasoned, a little more butter, balsamic glaze. Yum.

Also good shredded and added to soups and stews.

AwkwardSquad Sat 07-Jun-14 19:45:27

I'm going to try making kale chips smile Thanks for the recipe, MrsF.

Mandy2003 Sat 07-Jun-14 19:46:24

Take it as far away as you can, dump it and run! Horrible stuff sad

Frolicacid Sat 07-Jun-14 19:53:15

Brown onions and garlic with oil. Add kale. Add 1/2 pint veg stock. Add salt, pepper, rosemary and some chilli flakes. Cook over med heat for approx 15 mins until stock has evaporated. Eat the yummy, savoury goodness and thank me after !

maddy68 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:20:25

Make a version of crispy seaweed. It's amazing!
Deep fry sprinkle generously with sea salt and a pinch of sugar.

oliviafrombolivia Sat 07-Jun-14 20:56:08

nice fried up with chorizo

aoife24 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:58:03

Shred it, fry some lardons and garlic and finish with a bit of cream and nutmeg.

MB34 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:58:28

Oh my gosh, so many things! I'll definitely try the colcannon and cooked with garlic and the crispy seaweed...hell, I might have to buy another bag and try it all grin
Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now