Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

what's for dinner? help required quickly!

(42 Posts)
BrokenToeOuch Sat 07-Jun-14 17:12:51

Dp usually does the weekend cooking as he really enjoys it. I do the majority during the week, things that can be cooked during the day and stuck in the oven/heated up at dinner time (enchiladas, curry, pies, spag bol type stuff), basically things that can be prepared in advance.
But he's been really busy today so I'm cooking. I'm going to the supermarket in a bit and need some genius inspiration to help me! I'm quite good at cooking but not great at thinking outside the box!
Oh, and we had steak last night.
I don't mind spending a bit of time cooking so it doesn't need to be something really quick.
Please someone help me!

Applelicious Sat 07-Jun-14 17:16:13

Well, we're having ready made pizza. Maybe not the inspiring kind of dinner you were looking for. grin

catgirl1976 Sat 07-Jun-14 17:16:59

Home made chicken tikka, pilau rice and onion bhajis.

Never made bhajis before so unsure how it will turn out

BrokenToeOuch Sat 07-Jun-14 17:17:36

Not really but thanks for sharing! grin

catgirl1976 Sat 07-Jun-14 17:18:43

Beef stroganoff is really quick and easy (and retro)

There is a Nigella recipe for meatballs which take hours but are amazing, ditto Jamie Olivers "Jools favourite Winter stew"

BrokenToeOuch Sat 07-Jun-14 17:19:44

Ooh I could do a curry, we have all the spices.
not personally a fan of tikka but could do a different one. Could make some breads.
Good luck with the bhajis.

BrokenToeOuch Sat 07-Jun-14 17:23:02

I'd love a stroganoff but we had beef last night so would have to do pork. Anyone know what cut of pork? Fillet? With homemade chips?

I do make that exact winter stew, it's a family favourite!

justaweeone Sat 07-Jun-14 17:23:59

I might make this

Spicy Chicken & Chorizo pasta

For the pasta
300g Wholewheat pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - diced
100g Chorizo
2 cloves garlic
1 red chilli - or more to taste
1 red onion
1 red pepper
15-20 cherry tomatoes
1/3 190g jar red pesto
300ml pot low fat creme fraiche
Splash lemon juice
For the Salad
Bag rocket
50g parmesam -shaved
Balsamic vinegar
Method

Heat olive oil in a pan. Dice chicken and chorizo and add to pan - fry gently for 3-4 minutes until chicken is browned and chorizo oil is released
Whilst chicken is cooking, roughly chop onion and pepper and finely chop garlic and chilli. Add to pan and cook until onion and peppers have softened and chicken is cooked thoroughly
Add tomatoes to pan, gently cook for 5 min until tomatoes begin to burst. Cook pasta as per pack instructions
Whilst pasta is cooking add creme fraiche, lemon juice and pesto to chicken and warm thorugh. Season to taste
Add cooked drained pasta to chicken and creme fraiche mix and stir until coated - serve with a rocket and parmesan salad

littlegreengloworm Sat 07-Jun-14 17:24:08

Bit of a treat. Fillet steak, wedges, pea and onions.

justaweeone Sat 07-Jun-14 17:25:34

Most of us love Indian food, but cooking it from scratch - well that just seems like too much hard work. But, it doesn't have to mean hours in the kitchen, mixing and marinading, promises Anjum Anand.

The British-born TV chef and cookery writer - who was taught to cook authentic Indian food by her mother and many aunts, and whose passion for her family's cuisine inspired her to launch The Spice Tailor range - is on a mission to bring dishes from the subcontinent up-to-date by making them easier to prepare while retaining their rich, spicy flavours.

Goan chicken and chorizo stew from Anjum Anand's Quick & Easy Indian
As a busy working mum-of-two, Anand, 42, is well aware that although many people love to cook, they don't have limitless time to do it - and that's the theory behind her latest book, Anjum's Quick & Easy Indian, which is packed with the recipes she regularly cooks at home for her own family.

"The meals I cook are often simple, with lots of one-pot recipes, easy street foods, spice-laced sandwiches, salads and quick curries," she says.

"This book is a reflection of those meals."

She doesn't shy away from cheating.The book features a detailed list of time-saving ingredients, ranging from ready-cooked rice and pre-prepared crispy fried shallots or onions, to ready-made tamarind and date chutney and pani puri packets and kits.

As for her dishes that contain the Portuguese sausage chorizo, like her Goan Chicken And Chorizo Stew, Anand points out: "Chorizo was first brought to Goa with the Portuguese many hundreds of years ago, and the Indian, slightly spicier version is used extensively in Goan food."

She says it should probably take around 20-25 minutes longer to make a good chicken curry from scratch, with boneless cubes of meat, than to prepare one with a ready-made sauce.

"But it's worth the effort in my opinion, as the resulting tastes are so much better," Anand insists. "I do find once you're used to the flavours of a well-made curry, you can't go back."

And to prove her point, here's recipes from her new book for you to try.

TV chef and cookery writer Anjum Anand
Goan chicken and chorizo stew

(Serves 4-6)

2tbsp vegetable oil

4 links fresh chorizo sausages, sliced

1 large onion, finely chopped

15g root ginger, peeled weight, grated

4 large garlic cloves, grated

1-2 green chillies, pierced with the tip of a knife

1 1/2tsp ground coriander

1tsp garam masala, or to taste

1tsp ground cumin

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 rounded tbsp plain flour

6 large skinless bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat

250ml chicken stock or water

1/4-1/2tsp tamarind paste, to taste, dissolved in hot water

Here's what you need to do

Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan and add the chorizo. Cook gently on both sides until the slices release their oil into the pan. Remove with a slotted spoon or fork and set aside.

Add the onion and cook for six to seven minutes, or until soft and golden on the edges. Add the ginger, garlic and chillies and cook for one minute until the garlic smells cooked, adding a splash of hot water from the kettle if it starts to stick.

Add all the ground spices, seasoning and a small splash of water and cook for 40-50 seconds. Stir in the flour and, after a minute or so, add the chicken and stock or water and return the chorizo.

Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the joints are cooked through: pierce the largest chicken thigh at its thickest point, the juices should run clear. If not, cook for a few minutes longer, then check again. Uncover after 20 minutes and cook off excess liquid if it's a little thin, or add water from the kettle if it's a bit too thick.

Add the tamarind solution, taste and adjust the seasoning. I like to take the meat off the bone and stir it back in, but I leave that up to you. Serve hot.

Anjum's Quick & Easy Indian by Anjum Anand is published by Quadrille, priced £18.99. Available now

Or this

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 07-Jun-14 17:26:43

This is a quick meal I do when time is short.

Salmon fillet covered in pesto then placed on a bed of tomatoes and baked in the oven You could even do it without the tomato and just grill it instead. I serve it with Small potatoes boiled then sautéed with green beans in a mix of olive oil and garlic. I do another veg/salad to go with it and it depends on whats in the fridge.

If you dont want the potatoes its nice with cous cous or a rice, a mix of wild rice is lovely. If I do it with the cous cous I great the rind of a lemon into it just to lift it a bit.

catgirl1976 Sat 07-Jun-14 17:28:05

Ooh that salmon sounds good

HeyMicky Sat 07-Jun-14 17:28:07

Speedy roast chicken - cut it down the backbone and flatten it out so it cooks faster. I mixed some lime juice, chilli, ginger and garlic into some butter and pushed it under the skin. Will serve with a green salad

justaweeone Sat 07-Jun-14 17:29:02

This is yummy if you fancy pork
Serves 4Prep: 1 hour 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutes
A lean cut of pork made gorgeously sweet and sticky – and extra-tender

In a large bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce with the honey, orange juice and zest, grated ginger and five spice. Roll the pork in the sauce, coating well**. Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and seal the pork on each side for 2 minutes, until brown. Transfer to a roasting tin; pour over the remaining marinade.
Roast the pork for 20 minutes, basting halfway through with the pan juices, until cooked through.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to pack instructions. Heat the sesame oil in a wok (or clean frying pan), and add the remaining soy sauce, along with the shredded ginger, garlic, chilli and for 3-4 minutes until the pak choi stems are just tender.
Slice the pork and serve with the rice and pak choi, drizzling over any pan juices as a sauce.
Meals based on 4 people using a min. 2kg joint. Serving suggestion. For egg safety advice, see pack.
You can live well for less than you thought at Sainsbury’s.
Based on price perception data October 2013. For more information see sainsburys.co.uk/livewellforless. Children’s nutrition recommendations differ to adults, for more information refer to sainsburys.co.uk/nutritionforkids.

Posted in: Recipes & Menus
Category: Make Your Roast Go Further, Chinese New Year, Roasts & Leftovers
Tags: Mains, Pork, Vegetables
Share page
Ingredients
1 tbsp clear honey
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 tbsp Sainsbury's soy sauce
Zest and juice of 1 orange
4cm piece root ginger, grated, plus a 2cm piece, shredded
1 tsp Chinese five spice
1 x 400g Taste the Difference pork tenderloin
200g basics long grain rice
1 tbsp Sainsbury's toasted sesame oil
1 red chilli, finely sliced
2 pak choi, halved
Buy ingredients
Nutritional information
1 serving provides
fat
18.9g
sat fat
6.3g
salt
1.06g
total
sugars
5.6g
cals

TheFairyCaravan Sat 07-Jun-14 17:31:36

Chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, new potatoes and salad.

We're having veggie chilli with homemade salsa and homemade guacamole.

MrsBrianODriscoll Sat 07-Jun-14 17:33:53

We are having burglars in a cream and brandy sauce, with yips.

myrtleWilson Sat 07-Jun-14 17:36:26

Tuna oloroso - tuna cooked in onion/spanish sherry sauce. From Moro...

myrtleWilson Sat 07-Jun-14 17:37:27

Interesting dinner mrs!

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 07-Jun-14 17:40:07

Mrs B, do you have a whole one each or do you dismember them in your garage and have one between you?

AWombWithoutARoof Sat 07-Jun-14 17:42:53

We're having chicken thighs with curry sauce from a jar, with cider to drink.
<classy>

Allalonenow Sat 07-Jun-14 17:43:08

Salmon in a parcel with lemon and herbs, with samphire. Strawberries with ouzo for pudding.

MrsBrianODriscoll Sat 07-Jun-14 17:43:38

grin

Halfpint76 Sat 07-Jun-14 17:52:09

Carbonara is always our go-to easy but super tasty dinner. 2 eggs, one extra egg yolk,parmesan and cream all mixed up. Fry some bacon with garlic then add together with the egg cream mixture into cooked spaghetti.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 07-Jun-14 17:55:36

Ive just made Dosas with Dahl and hot Sambal; no good to you as I started the lentils off before lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now