Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

can anyone recommend an actual scary horror movie ?

(87 Posts)
misstiredbuthappy Sat 07-Jun-14 16:01:25

So im in the mood to watch a horror movie tonight can anyone recommend any ? The ones I've seen lately arent scary at all.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 07-Jun-14 16:03:54

The Hills Have Eyes.

I felt violated.

FruVikingessOla Sat 07-Jun-14 16:05:07

The Skeleton Key www.imdb.com/title/tt0397101/?

libertytrainers Sat 07-Jun-14 16:07:36

borderlands

The ring scared me, the Japanese (I think it's Japanese ) original is really good as is the grudge. The American versions are good but not as chilling.
I found the woman in black pretty scary too, I had to ask dp to come and hold my hand blush

Clawdy Sat 07-Jun-14 16:10:55

The Innocents, starring Deborah Kerr. A version of The Turn of the Screw,made in the 1960s, no blood, no horror,but truly terrifying, I've never forgotten it.

DustWitch Sat 07-Jun-14 16:16:38

The Orphanage, I watched it a couple of years ago and it still haunts me!

Mirrors and The Descent are another couple of good films.

The Conjuring is Ok ( shudders at the thought of Annabelle the haunted doll)

Corinne89 Sat 07-Jun-14 16:18:25

Sinister!!!

Corinne89 Sat 07-Jun-14 16:19:06

Have you seen the real life doll that it was based on? Not quite the same lol

AbbeyBartlet Sat 07-Jun-14 16:22:56

The Omen (original one)
Patrick (slightly obscure but scared the shit out of me!)

notoneforselfies Sat 07-Jun-14 16:23:13

Wolf creek!

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 07-Jun-14 16:23:22

Conjuring and sinister are shit!!

Watch fourth kind

I don't find films scary though so will follow fir suggestions

Toapointlordcopper Sat 07-Jun-14 16:28:27

I second the Orphanage. Not a traditional horror, but truly gut-wrenching and unforgettable.

My kids used to play 'what's the time, mr wolf?' but I had to stop them afterwards as was so disturbed by the film <complete wimp emoticon>

wibblyjelly Sat 07-Jun-14 16:30:08

The Justin Bieber film? grin

LogicalPreference Sat 07-Jun-14 16:34:43

The Fourth Kind is the least scariest film I've seen. An owl that is suppose to be an alien looks directly at a camera. Terrifying stuff right there.

Depends what you like in a horror film. Some people like gore, some with actual scares that make you jump, or those that are sick and twisted that they play on your mind afterwards.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 07-Jun-14 16:36:00

I'm one of the few who found the whole Paranormal Activity series terrifying. I got up the use the loo a few nights ago and couldn't look at the loft hatch just in case... <wimp>

Lots of excellent Japanese horrors like Ring, Ju-On (The Grudge), Dark Water, Audition, Battle Royale etc.

Wolf Creek really haunted me as it's a realistic situation as opposed to a supernatural one.

I found Sinister pretty creepy too!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 07-Jun-14 16:37:24

Ooh I forgot VHS! Waaaah!

Fcukfifa Sat 07-Jun-14 16:39:30

Poughkeepsie tapes.

All the new horror films don't scare me. Oh put this on on sky one night and fell asleep, I was scared witless, had to turn it off!

One particular scene stayed with me for days! I googled it and it's quite an iconic scene.

CheshireSplat Sat 07-Jun-14 16:42:21

I came on to say The Orphanage but see its been recommended. So second choice would be Eden Lake, a really nasty british movie (with Michael Fassbender I seem to recall). That was pretty horrid. I saw it and the orphanage within about a month of each other about 6 years ago and haven't watched a scary movie since! They finished me off .

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 07-Jun-14 16:44:30

I didn't find the film itself scary. Just the underlying message if the potential of such unpleasant alien encounters was something that made me think "oh crap"

I wouldnt to want to be visited by aliens!!

I've spent years trying to find an actual scary horror fi

SunnyL Sat 07-Jun-14 16:45:06

oh god I second Eden Lake. Bloody good scar film.

Case 39 with Renee Zelwegger has a good start.

fragglefok Sat 07-Jun-14 16:45:54

The Changeling (not the Angelina Jolie film), think it was made in the early 80's. It doesn't need daft special effects, it has good old fashioned atmosphere...scared the crap out of me (but I am a wuss).

MrsBungle Sat 07-Jun-14 16:47:42

I turned the hills have eyes off! I couldn't watch anymore! Violated is a good word!

Isn't paranormal activity scary then?! I've not watched it as I'm too scared at the thought!

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 07-Jun-14 16:48:05

Insidious and Insidious 2 if you haven't already seen them. Mama, not scary as such but has a disturbing end. I did not like the ending at all.

I did not get VHS at all. It took me three goes before I managed to get to the end of it. I found it odd and a bit jumbled and incoherent and hard to follow.

PeachTrees Sat 07-Jun-14 16:50:23

the descent. It gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now