Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

anyone want to diagnose my washing machine?

(21 Posts)

it's a whirlpool, nearly 4yo. there's 6 of us, so has to earn it's keep.

usually use the economical 1h 40deg programme.

wash cycle runs fine, but when it comes to spin (and when running just spin) the pump chugs away, the drum rotates, but doesn't get to full speed. the 17 minutes spin cycle takes double, and the washing is still sodden after.

Money is tight, so it would be really useful if anyone has any ideas. I'm trying it now on a 400 rpm spin to see what happens (usual speed is 1400rpm)

ClaimedByMe Sat 07-Jun-14 14:45:29

Have you checked there's nothing lurking in the filter?

Snog Sat 07-Jun-14 14:57:25

could be a partly blocked filter which you can sort out yourself very easily

Done filter. that's regularly done. do a boil wash at least once a week with the tea towels.

JugglingChaotically Sat 07-Jun-14 15:01:00

Filter would be my guess too. And check it soon as the longer it is blocked the more likely the pump will go as it's trying to pump through a blockage!

JugglingChaotically Sat 07-Jun-14 15:01:16

Cross post. Sorry!

Definitely sounds like a blockage, as it won't spin at full speed if it can't empty

Does it have a filter at the front? If you're feeling able, drain it with the little pull out tube then lie the machine on its back. Its easy to remove the filter from underneath, then you can dismantle it and check there is nothing tangled in it. My machine sufferers similar and all that was wrong was a long thread from a t-shirt tangled round the blades. Good luck

lollilou Sat 07-Jun-14 15:11:34

I have this problem too I have to open the little hose and drain it every time before I put a wash on. I have checked the filter nothing there. It will spin normally if I do that.
I would love to know what's wrong with it as we don't have the cash for a new one.

Dp is giving it a go- I'm supposed to be revising, not cursing because of sodden towels! Ds wet the bed last night so I have loads waiting to be done [sad]

Nomama Sat 07-Jun-14 15:32:49

When you check the filter carefully feel all the way back up the hose, right back up as close to the drum as you can manage.

Sometimes something, especially 50ps can get stuck and act like a flutter valve. Dad has pulled out bra wires that have general fluff wrapped round them that does the same job (he is a 'domestic appliance engineer'). It is sometimes worth just changing the hose - which is relatively easy to do.

Floor ... is the floor not quite flat? If so then the machine won't spin as it will detect an off centre load, especially if it starts to spin but doesn't make proper speed.

But it might be that the bushes have worn. If all else fails (cos these don't go as often as some might like you to think) have a look online for 'replacing washing machine motor carbon brushes' and see if it is something you feel you could do. It's quite easy, if you are confident with big boy's meccano type stuff, cheaper than a new machine, but an engineer can charge quite a whack as it looks like an impressively complicated job!

If not, yellow pages and find your local repair man...

sanfairyanne Sat 07-Jun-14 15:35:17

as nomama says, maybe the hose has a coin stuck, so it rotates and sometimes blocks

Found a penny in with the ball float (does that make sense?) All else clear. We have dp's old one in the outhouse, this one is mine from when I moved in iygwim, so not totally stuck. Just I prefer this one, it has a bigger drum.

Running it again, the motor goes to pick up speed but can't, hear it hum as it increases and then it stops, the drum stops and tries the other way. Timer didn't get stuck at 14 mins this time though! (maybe because it's empty?) but it's now stuck on 13 instead!

Nomama Sat 07-Jun-14 16:06:55

That sounds more like it may not be sat level on the floor, have you checked that?

yes, floor is fine.

pretty confident it's mechanical, just not sure where or what!

Chapsview Sat 07-Jun-14 16:13:08

Open up the back and check the drive belt. Sounds like the motor is spinning but the belt is worn hence you are not getting full spin. Easy to replace - did mine last week - got new one from espares.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sat 07-Jun-14 16:20:14

could be the brushes worn away, sadly need replacing is my guess. could well be wrong though.

Nomama Sat 07-Jun-14 16:24:27

Chaps, OP reports the drum moves, and hasn't said the machine is screaming when the drum does move, so it is unlikely to be the belt.

Bushes would be the next guess. But maybe it is time for an engineer... or the other machine.

PigletJohn Sat 07-Jun-14 16:57:49

I am assuming that when you look through the window, or open the pump after it has tried, you can verify that it has pumped all the water out.

I think it might possibly be the speed control on the PCB. Lots of modern appliances regulate the motor speed electronically (you may have a knob or press buttons on yours - try different speed settings). If so, a new PCB is often surprisingly expensive, so see if Whirlpool do a fixed-price repair.

qwertybirdie Sat 07-Jun-14 17:53:35

Google to see what pump your machine has. We just replaced ours. The branded one will be more, but you should get a much cheaper compatible one on Amazon or similar. We paid about a fiver, and DH changed it. Like a new machine now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now