Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

If you have a great great grandparent in common what sort of cousins does that make you?

(20 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Sat 07-Jun-14 14:07:48

I'm thinking third once removed? Any other ideas??!

EatShitDerek Sat 07-Jun-14 14:10:00

3rd cousins?

My son has a great great grandparent. If my cousin had a child then they would be 3rd cousins I guess?

pancakesfortea Sat 07-Jun-14 14:10:21

3rd. The removed is about whether you are the sa

pancakesfortea Sat 07-Jun-14 14:11:31

...same generation. So if it was your great great but only their great you would be once (ie one generation) removed.

Yes, same generation means straight 3rd cousins. For each generation different it's once removed, twice removed. So you own first cousin's child 'A' is your first cousin once removed. Your children would be second cousins to 'A' and you'd share great grandparents. Etc...

EduCated Sat 07-Jun-14 14:16:19

Yep, 3rd cousins, with removals depending on the generational difference. Easy way to remember it is to count the Gs!

If there is a generational difference, the degree (1st, 2nd, 3rd) depends on whose closest - so if it was your Great Great GP, but their Great GP, it would be 2nd once removed, not 3rd.

*They'd share great grandparents.

MirandaWest Sat 07-Jun-14 14:17:22

If you share a grandparent you're first cousins
Great grandparent then second cousins
Great great grandparent then third cousins etc

The removed part is to do with being a different generation.

Your mums first cousin is your first cousin once removed.

emeraldgirl1 Sat 07-Jun-14 14:50:34

Thanks!! Just met up today with my MiL's great aunt who has a great granddaughter and we were wondering what relationship the two babies were...

Mrsjayy Sat 07-Jun-14 14:53:30

The coudi thing confuses me I think my cousins kids are my kids 3rd cousin but thats not right is it

Mrsjayy Sat 07-Jun-14 14:55:29

O I know a couple who share a great grandparent so they are re,lated but married I know its far enough away but still

JodieGarberJacob Sat 07-Jun-14 15:06:23

I think your DH and mil's great aunt's great-grandchild are 3rd cousins and the great-grandchild and your ds are 3rd cousins once removed. <waits to be corrected>

JodieGarberJacob Sat 07-Jun-14 15:08:11

Just realised that's what you said in the first place!

Mrsjayy Sat 07-Jun-14 15:09:15

See confusing !

JodieGarberJacob Sat 07-Jun-14 15:11:04

Your first cousin's kids are your kids' second cousins.

Mrsjayy Sat 07-Jun-14 15:16:08

So are the ymy 1st cousins once removed

JodieGarberJacob Sat 07-Jun-14 15:50:02

Yes. And you are THEIR first cousin once removed. It's as clear as mud isn't it?

Alyosha Sat 07-Jun-14 15:52:58

Your first cousins' kids are your first cousins once removed. Your kids and your cousins' kids are second cousins.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 07-Jun-14 16:21:43

The Queen and Prince P. are third cousins; their common great great grandparent is Queen Victoria.

They are also second cousins once removed through the Danish royal family.

AElfgifu Sat 07-Jun-14 16:31:29

Supposedly no one in the world is further away that a 50th cousin to you.

if you are British, no other brit is further than a 20th cousin.

Not sure if those numbers are exactly right, but somewhere in that region.

That causes complications in asking the decendants of Richard III where he should be buried ( The king in the carpark) most of us are decended from him!

The numbers I've just given must be two high, just calculated that if you go back 25 generations, you have 33.5 million ancestors in that generation, which would have been many times over the population of Britain, so most people in Britain then must have appeared on your family tree thousands of times each, meaning you can'thave to go back that far before you are related to EVERYONE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now