Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What's the best food you've ever had at a wedding?

(67 Posts)
MilkandCereal Sat 07-Jun-14 13:12:54

I'm not getting married,but a relative is,and I'm going to help her out a little with the planning.

So please tell me about the most memorable meal/buffet you've had at a wedding.

shakinstevenslovechild Sat 07-Jun-14 13:18:26

At mine we had pub grub. A choice of steak pie, roast dinner and something else I can't quite remember. It was great.

One of my friends had KFC for hers grin I loved that too.

I also went to one who had a huge carvery which was lovely.

I don't know many people who have had fancy weddings.

SantanaLopez Sat 07-Jun-14 13:19:21

It's all been the same to be honest!

Soup, chicken, some sort of cake, plus buffet.

MTWTFSS Sat 07-Jun-14 13:21:54

Simple food cooked beautifully (such as: meat so tender it falls off the bone) + a good vegetarian option.

superbagpuss Sat 07-Jun-14 13:22:10

at my wedding we had a hot dinner buffet

choice of steak pie or yummy veggie lasagne (I'm a veggie). no faffing with starters, just everyone helping them selves to ad much dinner as they wanted grin.

Kewrious Sat 07-Jun-14 13:22:57

Unlikely to apply to your friend but I went to a British Sri Lankan wedding once and the food was outstanding. Lots of curries but each one tastes totally different. And they put all the curries with bowls of rice on each table so you could keep helping yourself. It's making me hungry just thinking of it!

youbethemummylion Sat 07-Jun-14 13:23:51

Bacon sandwich at 11:30 after hours of drinking and dancing it went down a treat!

goshhhhhh Sat 07-Jun-14 13:24:30

Chicken liver parfait with onion marmalade, lamb cutlets (cooked really well) & llovely veg, cranachan for pudding - it was delicious.

AlpacaLypse Sat 07-Jun-14 13:24:48

Fillet steak and home-grown vegetables. It was truly fantastic!

Bride was a farmer's daughter and the meat cost only the price of butchering and cooking it, ditto veg.

Eebahgum Sat 07-Jun-14 13:25:30

Best ever was a sausage buffet - selection of posh sausages to choose from, different types of mash & veg etc. then in the evening they brought out a buffet of burgers, pizza etc.

MuttonCadet Sat 07-Jun-14 13:25:46

We picked the venue for the food, Michelin starred restaurant, so that was the best we've ever had. But it was a teeny tiny wedding, so not for everyone.....

FatalCabbage Sat 07-Jun-14 13:26:22

I don't remember any meals but my own.

Evening food I remember better, though. Pallid bacon sandwiches at one, epic cheese table at another.

Seriously, cheese table. Four or five whole cheeses, lotsof bread and crackers, a couple of chutneys/pickles, then apples, grapes and celery. Really delicious and an excellent foil for booze.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Jun-14 13:30:34

A friends wedding her brother is a chef who has worked in several Michelin starred places and has won awards himself. We had chilled essence of tomato to start, fillet of beef and then the most amazing Etonian Mess. Very simple, but amazingly well cooked.

JonSnowsPout Sat 07-Jun-14 13:34:46

Last summer.
Hog roast and then the ice cream man came and we all got ice creams.

Went down really well

missknows Sat 07-Jun-14 13:53:12

Bbq for the evening :-)

Lanabelle Sat 07-Jun-14 13:55:03

Haggis stuffed chicken and turnip mash. mmmmmmmmm

CorusKate Sat 07-Jun-14 13:59:50

I've never been to a wedding. Three funerals, but no weddings. Why is wedding food always something people stress over and spend so much money on when for funerals people are generally satisfied with a table full of buffet stuff?

Ememem84 Sat 07-Jun-14 14:00:31

Winter wedding. Individual beef wellingtons. Broccoli. Red wine sauce. De-effing-licious.

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Sat 07-Jun-14 14:02:50

Sunday roast, bloody lovely. Evening do was an awesome hog roast too.

SeriousWispaHabit Sat 07-Jun-14 14:04:42

People still talk about our wedding food (10 years ago). It was at a farm and really good, traditional home cooking:

Homemade pate (or veg terrine for the veggies)
Carvery - choice of beef or turkey (or veg option) with giant Yorkshire puts, proper homemade roasties, cauliflower cheese, interesting veg.
Choice of puddings, but a lot of people ended up having more than one - pavlova, lemon tart, profiteroles.

Evening we had a buffet of cheeses, pate, bread, grapes etc.

I also went to an excellent wedding that was an Indian meal served to each table where you helped yourselves to all the different curries from the middle of the table. That was really good.

mrsleomcgary Sat 07-Jun-14 14:08:59

I went to a wedding in America last year and even though I'm not vegetarian I went for the veggie option, different types of wild mushroom in filo pastry and mash . It. Was. AMAZING! My own wedding was the usual soup, chicken or fish and sticky toffee pudding but it was really well done which is the important thing.

My brother went to a farmers wedding a few years ago where the meal was a fish or sausage supper delivered from the local chippy smile

BertieBotts Sat 07-Jun-14 14:09:27

Mine grin We hired a Chinese all you can eat place, it was fantastic. Small restaurant (they closed off half for us), family run place, they pulled out all the stops.

My only regret was I could only fit about one small plate of food in, because my dress was so tight and I was drinking coke which was silly, nerves + gassy drinks fill you right up! Everyone around me was saying how lovely it was and I wanted to eat more but I felt like I was going to burst!

adsy Sat 07-Jun-14 14:12:45

Ours was an 8 course taster menu at a Michelin star restaurant with wines to match each course. By far the best wedding food ever.
The children had their own waiter and different soft drinks to match.
There were only 14 of us though so a little pricey scaled up!!
Oh, and it was a private room so kids could play games / lego etc. when they'd had enough. God, it was great!!

jimblejambles Sat 07-Jun-14 14:14:59

At our evening do half way through the night we had bacon and egg sandwiches. That went down very well grin

AllThatGlistens Sat 07-Jun-14 14:15:07

The food at my brother in laws wedding last week was delicious, very well made canapes with champagne, then I had chicken liver parfait with onion marmalade, cheese and leek croquettes with salad, and vanilla and honeycomb cheesecake.

The evening buffet was simple and well made, choice of sandwiches, chicken, curry, mini veg lasagnes, salads etc and then bacon rolls around 12.30 after the fireworks and dancing which helped to soak up some of the alcohol consumed grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now