Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Weirdest thing you've ever slapped between two slices of bread?

(75 Posts)
HecatePropylaea Sat 07-Jun-14 10:43:39

in my youth, there was nothing I wouldn't make a sandwich out of and I think my two favourites have to be pea sandwiches (white bread. salad cream. garden peas.) and fray bentos pie sandwiches (white bread, and lift the top crust off the pie and there is soggy pastry underneath. Use that for the sandwich.)

The joys of first living alone. grin

Chicken, ham, salad and peanut butter. Maybe not that weird but it was goooood

LoveBeingInTheSun Sat 07-Jun-14 10:45:15

Lasagna blush

Rikalaily Sat 07-Jun-14 10:46:40

Pizza, I love those little Chicago town pizza's in a sarnie. Dp thinks it's disgusting grin

HecatePropylaea Sat 07-Jun-14 10:46:41

don't blush. Lasagna sounds lovely!

OneLittleLady - was that all the one sandwich? I think you win. grin

I remembered another one of mine. Cheese and jam. very VERY nice.

PollyCazaletWannabe Sat 07-Jun-14 10:48:41

Macaroni cheese and sweet chilli sauce. AMAZING.

HecatePropylaea Sat 07-Jun-14 10:49:04

that pizza one sounds lovely too.

I feel like going shopping now...

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sat 07-Jun-14 10:49:37

My mum went through a phase of giving us date sandwiches - she'd buy a block of dates (no idea if you can still buy them), cut into slices and put on white bread with butter. Tasted good but looked pretty revolting.

I also know people who swear by a pie on a sandwich.

I'm in Scotland though where it seems you can make a piece (sandwich) out of pretty much anything. In fact DH says if you can't put it on a piece it probably isn't food.

HecatePropylaea Sat 07-Jun-14 10:49:53

mmmm...

I'm regretting starting this.

I am going to get so fat, I'll have to be winched out of my bedroom window. grin

QueenOfThorns Sat 07-Jun-14 10:50:06

DH puts pot noodles in a sandwich sometimes shock

HecatePropylaea Sat 07-Jun-14 10:50:54

oh yes, pot noodle sandwiches. I used to do them too.

You have to eat 'em quick before the bread dissolves!

RandallFloyd Sat 07-Jun-14 10:58:46

I like white sliced, plastic cheese, smart price plain crisps and a bit of mayo.

Not controversial so much as truly shit.

Needadvice5 Sat 07-Jun-14 11:02:08

super noodle sandwiches and mashed potato sandwiches are the best!

AlpacaPicnic Sat 07-Jun-14 11:02:28

I came here specifically to say Pot Noodle.
Or super noodles with a slice of plastic cheese in there as well. Only to be eaten in the privacy of your deserted empy home due to slurping...

NorbertDentressangle Sat 07-Jun-14 11:02:30

If DP were on MN I think this thread would be his spiritual home.

His favourite is fried-up mashed potato in a sandwich.

EasterSundaySimmons Sat 07-Jun-14 11:08:36

Half a cheese sandwich with a sprinkle of salted cashew nuts.

The softness of the bread, the crunch and saltiness of the nuts and the creaminess of the cheese. Lovely.

Macocious Sat 07-Jun-14 11:14:49

I used to make sandwiches out of everything. Cottage pie sandwich and chicken kiev sandwich were two good ones

ManchesterAunt Sat 07-Jun-14 11:17:17

You're all bad bad people!! shock

grin

nameuschangeus Sat 07-Jun-14 11:19:25

To be fair I didn't actually make these myself but I happily devoured them... My Gran used to make me sugar sandwiches. I might have to go and have one now.

I had a boyfriend who would always have cold leftover roasties on white bread with salad cream.

You can't beat a chippy sandwich - preferably white bread with your chips, peas, pudding and gravy on. God I could eat that now!

I remember watching Gillian McKeith once going on and on about how shit this woman's sandwich was. It was your bog standard chip butty. It did the opposite to what she was aiming for as I immediately went and made myself one.

NutellaLawson Sat 07-Jun-14 11:21:06

Lettuce and fresh chillies used to be my work lunch. I had a colleague used to like walking up to people having their lunch, pick up their sandwich and take a bite (he thought he sneering funny).

He only did it once to me. grin

ClashCityRocker Sat 07-Jun-14 11:21:11

When I was skint, I used to live on brown sauce toasties in a toastie machine. Not as bad as some though. Also bake bean toasties.

My brother used to like cheese and jam.

Jam and bananas or chocolate spread and banana in a toastie-machine is absolutely epic though!

cjbk1 Sat 07-Jun-14 11:21:39

Maybe not so weird compared to others but a packet of mini cheddars; I wanted crisps but only had cheddars they didn't quite cut the mustard

Oh how could I forget this one. I used to work in a park cafe all over the summer. I would make myself a chicken nugget barm with the inside of a chicken and mushroom pie scooped on top. It was completely perfect!

Standinginline Sat 07-Jun-14 11:22:57

Well if I had a curry or any kind of dish where I could dip bread into like spag Bol I'd make it into a sandwich smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now