Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Right, the 14 day house blitz starts here.....

(94 Posts)
Hakluyt Sat 07-Jun-14 09:00:27

Dp is away for 2 weeks..I want to super blitz, deep clean and clutter clear while he's not here to offer wine, interesting conversation and other distractions.

Anyone want to join me? I intend to do a boot fair next Sunday as well.

Rkg233 Sat 07-Jun-14 09:02:35

Ooh me too. Need some motivation. 4 mo DS is v demanding so during his nap times/any spare time I have I find it very difficult to get up and something productive rather than sitting on the sofa in front of the telly.

ApocalypseNowt Sat 07-Jun-14 09:05:49

Oooh sounds like something i could do with being involved in!

What is the plan for day one?

TheFairyCaravan Sat 07-Jun-14 09:10:45

I'm 4 days in. DS2 and I have got rid of so much junk this week. DS1 actually asked if I was going to shred the whole house! grin I've got rid of old furniture too.

I'm at a standstill this morning because DH is meant to be sorting out his shit in the dining room and has just arranged to meet someone else later! hmm I shall do it of he doesn't and he won't have anything left, which might be a better idea actually because he keeps things "just incase" but it's never needed!

Nocomet Sat 07-Jun-14 09:12:34

I have a week to finish getting rid of clutter from DD2's room.

Then DD1 has finished her exams and I have promised we will get her a low bed and decorate her room.

(Full grown adults don't fit in high sleepers that never had enough ceiling clearance to start with)

Busymumto3dc Sat 07-Jun-14 09:14:41

I need to do this and would be grateful of motivation on here!

House is full to the brim with several cupboards of death

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 07-Jun-14 09:17:58

I'll join you.

We moved 9 months ago and still have books in boxes. I need to sort and put the ones I intend to keep on the shelves.

I am stopping childminding in 6 weeks, so I'm going to start sorting the toys and thinning them down.

Today in going to do a general tidy, catch up on the ironing and put the laundry away.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 07-Jun-14 09:18:46

i'm in. might not be blitz. more a poke about with a pointy stick sort of thing.

TheNightIsDark Sat 07-Jun-14 09:20:46

I'll join in. Back to work after mat leave Monday so blitzing this weekend.

So far have moved DS2 into own room, DD and DSD into shared room and DS (5) into his own room as he's been referred with ADHD and his struggles to sleep were keeping everyone up hmm

I need to strip wallpaper that DS helpfully started pulling off weeks ago, swap toys and books into correct rooms (3 story house so more work than it sounds), deposit middle children to sleepovers and gut their toys and clothes!

Hakluyt Sat 07-Jun-14 09:28:31

But you're not supposed to do anything productive with a 4 month old except look after the 4 month old! You have to sit and gaze at them as they sleep and cuddle them all the time or they don't grow properly! You can cheer us from the sidelines.

I,m going to try not to do too much at once- I tend to be too enthusiastic in days one and two then say "sod this for a game of soldiers" and give up.

I think I'm going to make some lists today dividing the house up into chunks. And I'm going to go to the supermarket and get boxes for charity shop and boot fair and lots of bin bags. I'm starting with clutter clearing- no point cleaning or finding space for stuff I'm getting rid of.

BigBirdFlies Sat 07-Jun-14 09:52:10

I'm a terrible declutterer. How do you declutter? Do you throw things away, send them to a charity shop, get a skip or what?

I just don't like the idea of waste I suppose!

LoveBeingInTheSun Sat 07-Jun-14 09:55:23

Oh I could do with this wish I had some time off work on my own. Tbh I'm currently having a rest from cleaning the living room dc are 'helping'

listsandbudgets Sat 07-Jun-14 09:58:33

I will join you but not until Monday as its pointless trying to do anything with teh children at home. DS for example has just pulled all the books off the bookcase and all his toys out of the toy cupboard sad

We certainly need a skip. We've still got clutter and old rubbishy furniture belonging to the previous owners. Only thing is we moved in 2011 blush In my defence I've filled 2 skips since we moved in and had a baby plus DPs dad died and his mum downsized and gave us loads of the contents of her house.

PoirotsMoustache Sat 07-Jun-14 10:16:30

Oh I really need this thread today, thank you. I have to have a massive clear out so there's room for my soon-to-be-husband to move in in a couple of weeks. I was meant to start two hours ago and all I've done is bring a basket downstairs blush

I need to take a ton of stuff upstairs from the kitchen and the stairs, clear out and tidy the giant bathroom cupboard, clear my room, empty out and disassemble the fitted wardrobes and move the bed and chests of drawers round. Not to mention clearing whatever horrors await me under the bed. I don't know where to start!

MrsHuxtableReturns Sat 07-Jun-14 10:24:46

I'm in. I've been trying to do this for the last month but with a 5 months old and a 2 year old hanging around all day it's been one step forward and two back. The mess in my home depresses me and I've come to the conclusion that we simply have too much stuff. I have no idea how to start.

We're moving next week back to our tiny house while we search for a new big house to buy.
We moved to a big rental house last year and got all our stuff out of storage to go through it with a view to ebaying loads.
This week I shall be packing it all back into boxes to put back in storage...
I'm not getting this decluttering right am I?

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 07-Jun-14 10:28:48

I need to do mine too, I still have boxes of stuff from when I moved in a year and a half ago.

flappityfanjos Sat 07-Jun-14 10:29:46

Ooh, I'm in. We moved from a house with a garage to a house without a garage and the study is now full of boxes from the garage. Many, many boxes. I also have shitloads of clothes I want to sell on eBay. And I need the study usable as a spare room by next weekend.

DD woke up puking everywhere so have been running around sorting her out and washing bedding. I shall blitz the study/spare room some more this afternoon.

deakymom Sat 07-Jun-14 10:38:09

so far ive distracted myself with a photoshoot for the kids now im uploading to snapfish and the baby wont stop howling and go to sleep stupid thunderstorm

Jinsei Sat 07-Jun-14 10:45:19

I'm in! I'm totally overwhelmed by our house at the moment and could do with something to kick start me. And 14 days doesn't sound too awful, I should be able to keep something up for that long! smile

Where is everyone going to start?

Hakluyt Sat 07-Jun-14 11:00:13

Right- I'm going to lay down a few ground rules.

No more than 2 hours a day. And much less for those of us that work outside the home.

Try very hard not to start anything you can't finish- so one shelf or drawer- sort, tidy clean. Finish that before moving on to the next drawer. Try not to make things worse as you're making it better.

Clutter clearing a la Flyladyish- have 2 boxes and a bin bag. One box for things you want to keep but you don't have a place for, one for charity shop/boot fair (but only if you are really truly honestly going to do a boot fair ^this sunday^- otherwise be ruthless) and a bin bag for rubbish. Do a small, preselected area, considering every single object and making a decision about it. Or, if the area's too big, 30 minutes on the timer.Then, get the stuff out of the house. Rubbish in the bin, charity shop stuff actually to the charity shop. And the stuff in the wrong place to the place it lives.

I'm starting now with a very cluttered kitchen drawer that drives me crazy every time I want the beaters for my electric mixer. See you in 30 minutes.

exexpat Sat 07-Jun-14 11:08:11

I'm in. I have about two weeks until the builders come in and rip out DD's room and then start taking the roof off, so I have to completely clear her room (soft-toy zoo, hundreds of books, 7 years' worth of party bag/stocking knick-knacks etc) and also empty the attic.

We've made a start, but there's lots to go. Today's plan is to fill at least six bags to go to Oxfam, and list a load more on freecycle and Gumtree.

ThornOfCamorr Sat 07-Jun-14 12:03:06

Perfect timing for this thread OP! I have been looking around my poor house with fresh eyes as dd3 age 2 has just started sleeping through the night and I am far more awake and alert myself in the daytime. I thought we were fairly tidy and organised but the amount of stuff in drawers and tucked behind things is phemomenal! Also quite dusty although not dirty.
First stop- the kitchen plastics cupboard. Most embarrassing last weekend we had a BBQ and a friend helped to get the food ready opened it and everything fell out on to him blush I aim to do at least that today.

HayDayQueen Sat 07-Jun-14 12:45:46

Ooh, this sounds promising! I need to do this before I can finish painting, otherwise I just move mess from one room to another.

Clothes for Charity is a great way to get rid of unwanted clothes/shoes etc. They send you a humungous bag, you fill it, then they come and collect it. Saves multiple trips to your local charity shop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now