Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Well, I didn't know that. Things you've found out that would surprise other people.

(302 Posts)
kim147 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:41:37

There's snakes in Regent's park.
And scorpions in Sheerness.

OK - the snakes are not poisonous and would possibly eat rats. And the scorpions are an inch long and eat wood louse. But still.

The snakes escaped from the zoo. And the scorpions arrived on ships.

This was on Inside Science last night,

Babies have no kneecaps.

(I have no children yet, so a lot of baby/toddler/child stuff is a revelation to me!)

kim147 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:45:53

Don't they?

Thinks back to baby days but can't remember doing stuff with legs and bending them.

phantomnamechanger Fri 06-Jun-14 21:46:17

Freddie Flintoff is not Andrew Flintoffs twin grin

RetroHippy Fri 06-Jun-14 21:47:01

*phny

RetroHippy Fri 06-Jun-14 21:47:11

*phant

Nope, apparently they have cartilage that eventually solidifies into bone. Makes sense really, what with all that falling-over-whilst-attempting-to-walk malarky.

RetroHippy Fri 06-Jun-14 21:47:55

Stupid phone angry

phantom, you're not the only one that thought that grin

fluffyraggies Fri 06-Jun-14 21:48:09

Peanuts grow underground.

<well it surprised me!>

phantomnamechanger Fri 06-Jun-14 21:48:38

I know retro, I saw the thread grin

OscarWinningActress Fri 06-Jun-14 21:50:52

People from Halifax, Canada are called 'Haligonians'.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 06-Jun-14 21:50:57

Banana trees walk.
I bet everybody knows this though.

phantomnamechanger Fri 06-Jun-14 21:51:05

fluffy, have you seen how cashew nuts grow then?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

deakymom Fri 06-Jun-14 21:53:58

pineapples anyone else think they grew on trees? bushes look so wrong!

When you go to put a small childs shoe on, they will always, always stick out the wrong foot.

The reason why is what Newton was actually looking for when he accidentally discovered gravity.*

I think.

fluffyraggies Fri 06-Jun-14 22:09:35

Noooooo! shock @ cashews.

That's mad!

flubble Fri 06-Jun-14 22:10:35

Ducks lay their eggs in trees.

Ds2 is 3 and had an x-ray a couple of months ago and they pointed put this full stop sized white dot on the picture. It was his knee cap starting to form.

Banana trees do what? I'm off to google.

ThisFenceIsComfy Fri 06-Jun-14 22:23:41

Banana trees are all clones

Tiggerandpiglettoo Fri 06-Jun-14 22:28:53

A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off - it dies from starvation! Ewwww

In the Scottish Hebrides, an island is defined as being an island only if it is big enough to sustain 1 sheep.

colleysmill Fri 06-Jun-14 22:30:32

Knee caps develop by about age five iirc

I did not know avril lavigne is married to Chad kroeger from nickleback. Which is nowhere near as interesting as other posts!

We share about 50% of our DNA with bananas

kim147 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:33:07

Is that coding DNA or all DNA? Not much DNA actually are genes. Lots of our DNA is just there not doing any actual coding.

I don't know. It was a random fact I heard somewhere.
Also, I can't fully remember this one either (how useless am I?) but if there are about 30 people in a room there is around a 98% chance that two of them will share a birthday.

CrapBag Fri 06-Jun-14 22:34:53

I knew the knee cap thing but I didn't know it took so long for them to form! I'm going to be feeling DDs (3) knees tomorrow. grin

I didn't know that's who Avril Lavigne is married to either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now