Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do you lie to your children?

(84 Posts)

It was our local carnival last Sunday at our local park and my DD was sat on the grass with some friends and they were pulling the grass up so I told them that they let the cows on the field at night to eat the grass so if they pull it all up then there will be none left for the cows grin

My H used to tell his younger sister that they used to let sharks in the pool at night and if they didn't get out of the pool quick enough before it closed they would let the sharks out!

Obviously there is the ice cream man is out of ice cream when he plays the music and when alarm sensors go red it is Father Christmas looking at you and checking you're being good!

Loletta Fri 06-Jun-14 15:23:17

I try not to lie too much because there comes a point when they can see through the lies and then don't believe anything you say

SirNoel Fri 06-Jun-14 15:24:05

All the time grin

FatalCabbage Fri 06-Jun-14 15:36:55

Never, to my knowledge.

Sometimes I tell them I don't feel able to answer, but I don't deliberately tell them a lie ever.

TheDietStartsTomorrow Fri 06-Jun-14 15:43:39

We both try to make a point of not lying to out children. Sometimes it's very difficult because I don't want to tell them what I'm really thinking but I think it's important not to lie if you want your children to grow up with strong morals and an honest character.

My DS aged 15 said to me just today, 'I know you have done so and so because I've asked you a few times and you've always averted the question and I know you never lie to me so that means that you have.'

Thurlow Fri 06-Jun-14 15:46:23

I don't think of it as lying so much as telling stories wink

But if we're lying in bed and DD wants both bedside lamps on and I can't be arsed to roll over and reach one of the lamps, I often tell her that it is broken...

squoosh Fri 06-Jun-14 15:47:03

Lies make the world go around.

I lied to my 3yr old today when he asked if I could mend the broken red crayon and I said I would take it away to get a crayon-mechanic to fix it when actually I was planning to stick it in the bin and magically pass off one of about 10 virtually identical crayons he owns as the original. He was going on and on and on about how it was broken and could I stick it back together and generally doing my head in. It wasn't even 9am sad

I'm going to hell for lying aren't I? sadsad

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 06-Jun-14 15:52:50

Our family have a long and proud tradition of telling WHOPPING great lies to children. From my Granddad convincing us that stone lions in the park came alive at night, to my own Dad convincing me that Uncle Jim owned Blackpool Tower, it's an art-form

ShatnersBassoon Fri 06-Jun-14 15:54:56

I do, often. I tell them we have to leave places when we don't really. I tell them their teacher will be very disappointed if they don't complete every worksheet that gets sent home. I tell them there is no ham for sandwiches when there is but I want them to eat something else for a change.

I find lying to much easier and more productive than debating with them.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 06-Jun-14 15:55:47

Most certainly do.

Burren Fri 06-Jun-14 15:55:53

Never. Too much of it, about things both big and small, around in my own childhood. I often tell him I don't know, though.

ShineSmile Fri 06-Jun-14 15:57:12

No, I try my utter best not to.

SirNoel Fri 06-Jun-14 15:58:09

You can overthink things a little bit. My teenagers do now know that actually adults don't posses 'back eyes' that allow them to see stuff happening behind them but they haven't had their faith in our integrity as parents irredeemably crushed- they just think it's funny

<watched 6yo with back eyes>

AGnu Fri 06-Jun-14 16:01:04

Sometimes I tell DS1 (2.5y) that I've just got to go look for something upstairs & just sit on the bed & play with my phone. I'm terrified of the day he discovers this.

Other than that, no. I don't have a problem with just saying no when necessary.

Shallishanti Fri 06-Jun-14 16:03:53

well....some of these I would not class as lies, more stories or fantasies and like FC and the tooth fairy they make life richer and more fun without causing harm.
Real lies, like 'the injection won't hurt', the policeman will know if you are naughty, or as someone suggested to me 'yes you can drink that it isn't made of fish oil' to veggie child- those are lies and dishonest. If you expect your dc to be truthful, better be truthful yourself. Lying about if there are any biscuits left etc may seem harmless but is a bad habit and undermines trust.
But I love the idea of the lions coming to life!

Agnu sometimes I tell my husband I've just got to go look for something upstairs and just sit on the bed and play with my phone, thereby leaving him to deal with both boys by himself for once. I only do it when they are at top wound-up pitch and my heads spinning grin.

wubwubwub Fri 06-Jun-14 16:27:05

There's a difference between lying to be nastily deceptive, and telling a tall story e.g. Lying to get someone in trouble is on a whole other planet compared to "Did you know, the fairies can tell when you don't wash your hands

FatalCabbage you have never once denied the existence of Father Christmas? Tooth Fairy? Never ever once told a teensy fib?

Helpys Fri 06-Jun-14 16:31:01

I do, but not to avoid 'owning my own shit' to use a lovely phrase. So I've got a million running tall tails, like the icecream can running out, but I'd never say Santa won't come or I'll tell the man and that little elf thing leaves me cold.

Shallishanti Fri 06-Jun-14 16:31:20

but why invoke the fairies wrt handwashing?
surely just as interesting and in the long term more useful to explain that there are germs, so small we can't even see them, and if they get from our hands into our mouths, or a cut on our skin, that could make us ill...and you can see them through a microscope...and here are some pictures...and different germs cause different diseases...and that's why we are careful about cooking food properly...etc etc

LoblollyBoy Fri 06-Jun-14 16:32:28

Rarely. I worry about getting found out.

Thurlow Fri 06-Jun-14 16:33:43

Because you go with what's going to make your kids actually wash their hands at that moment in time?

wubwubwub Fri 06-Jun-14 16:35:25

but why invoke the fairies wrt handwashing?

because Fairies know things...

MrsBungle Fri 06-Jun-14 16:35:40

All the time - usually just making up stories - like about fairies at the bottom of eye garden or Santa or that her drawing is the best I've ever seen. I tell an age appropriate version of the truth if needs be. I absolutely loved the stories my mum and granny told me as a child.

anotetofollowso Fri 06-Jun-14 16:37:39

Hmm, I never - ok, seldom - lie to my DC. But am in a quandary about what to do when they are old enough to ask about my own past. OF COURSE I have NEVER EVER done anything illegal but suppose, just suppose for a minute I had…how do I look them in the eye and lie? Alternatively, how can I tell them what Mummy got up to and hope they never do the same?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now