Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed being pregnant...

(96 Posts)
iirc Tue 27-May-14 20:25:44

Even though I had pretty bad morning sickness, travel sickness and dizziness. Also had terrible acid reflux/heartburn and I had pain when walking. I also found out I had pre eclampsia and needed an EMCS - but yet I still really enjoyed being pregnant. The pain seemed worth it and it felt like an adventure. I don't know if this is weird of me to think of it like that but I just loved being pregnant.

Am I the only one who really enjoyed pregnancy (labour if you can call it that too)?

Alchemist Tue 27-May-14 20:27:34

I loved being pregnant with all the changes and feelings.

I just look pregnant now.

TreacleMoon123 Tue 27-May-14 20:27:55

Can't say I loved the labours but I did love the pregnancies smile)

Frogisatwat Tue 27-May-14 20:28:08

I enjoyed the attention! The excitement of what was to come. .

I loved being pregnant. I was lucky because I was healthy throughout. My husband told me I was gorgeous, I was rarely sick at all.

Labour and post-natal period were much less fun.

TobyLerone Tue 27-May-14 20:30:02

I loved it all this time around. DC3 is now 20 weeks old and I'm sad she's the last one. I'd have another right now.

Bowlersarm Tue 27-May-14 20:30:54

I loved being pregnant. Felt 100% heathy throughout all three. Bloody hated childbirth though.

HeyBungalowBill Tue 27-May-14 20:32:27

I loved it until the last month where I couldn't sleep and felt like a whale grin

I miss my bump so much! He's upstairs asleep in his cot now grin

PortofinoRevisited Tue 27-May-14 20:32:58

I did. I loved near the end where I couldn't sleep and used to get up at 4am and drink tea and watch Midwife programmes on the Living Channel with baby kicking away.

DottyDot Tue 27-May-14 20:33:42

dp loved pregnancy. Absolutely loved it - so much so that she kind of changed into a different person - was completely laid back, happy and relaxed for the whole thing and wholly unlike her usual self... grin.

The downside was she got very bad PND afterwards which I think was partly due to all her hormones crashing and becoming 'herself' as soon as ds1 was born sad. She still says if she could just be pregnant all the time she would as she's never felt that happy before or since.

I hated being pregnant and got pre-natal depression, but was then thrilled the minute I had ds2. I called him "that bloody baby" when I was pregnant - felt taken over by an alien I had no control over and didn't want to know or care whether he was a boy or girl. But the minute he was born I loved him 100% and was back to being a very happy me! Mind you, I reckon I got my job on the back of being pregnant (I was a few weeks pregnant when I was interviewed) 'cos I was so serious - it was a proper grown up job - would never have got it if I was just being me grin

I loved it, I also had pre eclampsia and and EMCS but up until those last few days I was lucky enough to have a healthy, easy pregnancy with just the average niggles.

WrongendoftheSTIX Tue 27-May-14 20:35:18

I loved being pregnant. It was the only time in my life (since around 9yo) that I have felt 100% happy with my body and the way it looked.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 27-May-14 20:37:43

I enjoyed it hugely (not discounting lots of stress and worry, would the baby be OK etc - I'm neurotic at best of times) and people were just SO NICE to me sad in a way they aren't now!! Strangers I mean. People so concerned and helpful and interested... I also enjoyed the chance to look after myself for a change and not feel selfish about it IYSWIM - eat well, rest, exercise etc.
I miss it, I don't think it would be the same if I was lucky enough to be pg again - I do think a 1st pregnancy is v v special, it is an adventure, albeit a sometimes scary one.
Early weeks/months of motherhood MUCH harder - and I thought I was prepared for it to be hard...

Sleepyfergus Tue 27-May-14 20:43:27

I loved being pregnant too. Loved my drowning bump and knowing I was nurturing a little life. Loved the attention too, and being able to wear right tops to display my bump. I have 2 dds now and at 42, we won't be having anymore so I'm sad that I won't get to experience it again ��

I do not miss the worry though, if baby is ok, the constant knicker watch, when did they last kick, why won't s/he kick despite me prodding my tummy, do I feel sick, why don't I feel sick etc etc!

And I certainly don't miss the piles!

Sleepyfergus Tue 27-May-14 20:43:46

Tight tops, not right

McFox Tue 27-May-14 20:47:13

I love it smile I'm due in a few days and I'll be sad that this part is over - although very excited to be having a baby of course!!

I loved being pregnant despite a number of complications in each of my pregnancies and would do it again at the drop of a hat.
As long as nobody would make me take the resultant baby home - I am so done with infant care wink
And I found delivery v exciting too - I realise I am v lucky that I always felt well looked after and supported, whether it was a v medicalised induction, an emCS at 31 weeks, or the subsequent VBACs x2.

Dotty, interesting to read what you are saying about your partner and yourself.
It is a never-ending source of fascination for me that we all pretty much have the same hormones (in principle) but are affected to very, very differently by them. Weird.

tilliebob Tue 27-May-14 20:48:24

Loved my first two pregnancies but hated my last one, which was a shame after waiting years to conceive and knowing it was my last pregnancy - I could get it over fast enough!

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 27-May-14 20:48:52

I loved it despite the morning sickness throughout, the heartburn and the carpal tunnel in both wrists for the final 2 months.

expatinscotland Tue 27-May-14 20:50:33

I liked the second trimesters of all mine. Erm, but that's about all. I puked my guts out for the first 5 months with all and had horrid heartburn and oedema with all of them.

BertieBotts Tue 27-May-14 20:51:11

Loved pregnancy, loved birth (except for crowning, which is a bitch) and loved the newborn stage.

Proven weird grin

I'm not so keen on the preschool stage, so I'm sure it evens out somewhere.

WaitingForMe Tue 27-May-14 20:54:39

I loved the hope, the sense of adventure and feeling him move within me. It was the most profound experience of my life.

But I had a break of two weeks between morning sickness and crippling PGP before a 50 hour labour. I was staggeringly bad at it all. So much so that DH had a vasectomy within a year of DS being born (DS was his third child and we felt utterly blessed at how much my DSS's adored the baby that frankly we felt we'd be pushing our luck not to quit while we were ahead).

I loved being pregnant. I loved not having to think about how I looked in normal clothes but could relax and have a round belly on show. My boobs grew too smile I loved all of the attention too! I loved getting excited about all of the midwife appointments, having my bump measured and listening to the heartbeat and of course, the scans.
I was lucky and didn't get too many ailments. I had MS for about 8 weeks, but even then I knew it was another sign that a little life was growing inside me. My bump was a little uncomfortable towards the end, and had swollen feet and fingers but I didn't feel too tired. In fact, I wanted to work up to 1 week before my due date but was talked out if it.

I sort of enjoyed labour too. I managed to get to 8cm without believing I was actually in labour, and again I knew that every contraction was one more step to meeting my baby and one less that I had to do. I was pushing for two hours however, which was awful, but hearing the excited encouraging words from DH and the lovely midwives I had made it much more bearable.

I hope this doesn't sound like such a smug post, and I know I've been really lucky to have had such an easy time compared to some of the stories I heard.

I really can't waait to do it again.

Pinkelephanty Tue 27-May-14 20:58:13

I loved being pregnant and my bump.

PicardyThird Tue 27-May-14 20:58:50

I absolutely adored it, once the anxiety of the first few weeks was over (had had miscarriages before each time). Despite various issues and complications.

Another three mc since dc2's birth and wondering whether I will get to experience it again sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now