Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Rats, bloody rats everywhere

(94 Posts)
TouchPauseEngage Wed 14-May-14 13:15:27

I posted about rats in our garage a while ago. We thought they 'd gone after a fortnight of humane trapping (I know, I know) but I went in yesterday and there is rat shit everywhere. On every surface.

Called the council and they said our town is currently infested and there is a two week wait (usually 24 hour turn around)
Spent the morning taking everything out of of the garage and thrown loads of stuff out. They've eaten their way into DH cricket bag and it was full of piss and stunk.

I've put three trays of poison down (including one in the roof space above the garage). But I'm really worried about the dog. He doesn't go in the garage but are the rats likely to crawl into the house? We haven't seen any signs of them inside. Are we better keeping him upstairs with us over night for the next week?

Ugh. Feel itchy just thinking about them.

Lanabelle Wed 14-May-14 13:29:33

Rat poisons not the best idea, ie if it gets wet it dissolves a bit, gets on your dogs paws if we walks through the water it dissolved in etc, dog licks paws and it too becomes poisoned landing you with a best a big vet bill at worst a dead dog. Go back to trapping or get an air rifle. We use a falcon and a hawk too on the farm as well as the few feral cats but id keep cats away - if they eat one you killed with poison then they too will be poisoned

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 14-May-14 13:38:51

Get the poison down quick before it gets worse. The rats tend to eat the poison then go back to the nest to die ime. If you can stand it use snappy traps - we had great success with them. I would NEVER use a humane trap for mice or rats.

You'll know about it if they come into your house - noisy fuckers!

ProfYaffle Wed 14-May-14 13:43:04

I guess it must be a bumper year for rats, our allotments are infested this year and we've seen loads by the river in daytime which is unusual.

The advice I've been given is to get some damp proof bait (I've sent off for a tub off amazon) and put it in a lidded margerine/ice cream tub with rat sized holes cut at either side. Weight it down with a stone or something. Theoretically this stops pets etc getting to the poison.

TouchPauseEngage Wed 14-May-14 13:44:29

I think snappy traps might be the answer. I'm super squeamish and a bit of a softy (hence the humane traps) but after this morning I don't care how they die!

Lanabelle I'm loving the idea of getting a predator to sort them out but they are only in my small garage so don't think it would work. Would love to see nosy lady over the roads face if a falconer turned up though!

TouchPauseEngage Wed 14-May-14 13:47:48

prof the guy at the council said it was the heavy rain showers followed by bright sunshine. He said it's driving them inside. Makes me feel a bit better that it's not just me. We've been pretty stupid though - kept the dog food in there and I found bits of dog food everywhere.

bonzo77 Wed 14-May-14 13:56:12

Borrow a jack russell? Or cats?

wtffgs Wed 14-May-14 13:59:40

Urgh!

Poor you! We have had dead rats which the cat has pretended he has caught hmm

The whole town is infested?

Do you live in Hamlin?smile

JollyGolightly Wed 14-May-14 14:24:53

Get a ferret. Rats hate the smell and won't come near, apparently.

Lanabelle Wed 14-May-14 14:28:01

you don't want them retreating to die if their lair is for example under your floorboards - the stench will turn you green for weeks.

AdoraBell Wed 14-May-14 14:32:34

Get a plug in sonic deterrent, we bought one from B&Q but there must be other shops carrying them. It emits noise at a frequency that they can't tolerate and they bugger off.

merce Wed 14-May-14 14:37:45

My God that is HORRIBLE. I recommend sticky pads (banned by EU now, but still available in lots of hardware shops - we stockpiled them…..). If one of the foul thing touches it they will be stuck on it. Problem then is that someone (er - not me!) has to deal with the rat that is stuck on it (either alive or dead depending on timing). But you will catch the lot and worth it if you can persuade some fearless person to bash them on tech head. Amazingly effective. I spoke to a pest control man once who said they hope the public doesn't find out about these things or they'll be out of a job. I feel for you hugely. Have a genuine phobia of rodents, hence the stockpiling of the pads!! Good luck

You need a bold cat or 3, or some bait boxes with some whole wheat poisoned bait in (not chopped wheat, they prefer the whole grain apparently). Rats can chew through soft brick, so whether they will get in depends on your house.

Also don't put out bird seed as it is treated with vitamin K, which is an antidote to rat poison.

DandelionGilver Wed 14-May-14 14:51:06

If the council come out they generally put down bait and then come back a couple of weeks later to see if it has been eaten, and charge quite a lot of money for it. So if you're going to use poison it's cheaper to do it yourself.

Where were you releasing them. It needs to be quite a distance away, or they will come back.

We had them in the loft - buggers were climbing up the cavity wall - we could hear them. We put poison in the loft and where we thought they were coming in and it sorted the problem. Although one of them did die in the loft and the smell wasn't pleasant for a few days until I found it.

Once you've got rid of them, try to find where they got in and block it up.

TouchPauseEngage Wed 14-May-14 15:16:43

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm really worried about them crawling off and dying in the walls. But would rather search for the stink than have them in the house.

My MumS offered to take the dog for a week or so to keep him out of harms way too.

Was supposed to be going clothes shopping tomorrow but think I'll be in b&q stocking up on every rat deterrent money can buy.

And Keith I made a Hamelin joke to the man from pest control when he said that. He didn't laugh...I'm guessing he might have heard it before grin

My friend has just called round and told me they once had an infestation so bad chat they would find droppings in the cutlery draw every morning shock

CorusKate Wed 14-May-14 15:18:27

Like these?

CorusKate Wed 14-May-14 15:20:24

Seriously, though, the reason people don't use the sticky pads is because they're one of the most horribly inhumane ways to kill an intelligent animal.

TouchPauseEngage Wed 14-May-14 15:55:18

I had rats as a kid which is why I tried to deal with them humanely but it hasn't worked and I think if I leave it another week they'll be in the house. That photo has reminded me of my lovely rat Zeb and now a feel evil on top of feeling really skanky in my rat filled house sad

CorusKate Wed 14-May-14 15:57:18

I'm not trying to guilt you grin I just hate those glue traps so much.

Perhaps a few pet rats would put off the invaders?

I would go snap traps, checked regularly, in preference to poison.

TouchPauseEngage Wed 14-May-14 16:03:15

Don't worry. I'm far to soft for that. Will get some snap traps tomorrow and beg DH to deal with them. I think he's taking it more seriously now they've eaten his cricket kit grin
I could get more pet rats but I think he would probably leave if I suggested more rats to solve rat problem...

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 14-May-14 16:03:55

you don't want them retreating to die if their lair is for example under your floorboards - the stench will turn you green for weeks

We had an infestation a few years back, we were averaging in catching one every other night for 6 weeks (!!!!!!) in straps and they also ate shed pads of poison but we never experienced any smelly corpses.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 14-May-14 16:05:48

Be careful, rat traps are HUGE and take strength to open up and set dh did them also wear disposable gloves and double wrap any dead ones ones in plastic bags and WASH YOUR HANDS!

DrFunkesFamilyBandSolution Wed 14-May-14 16:07:26

Damn, glue traps were the only hung that worked for us with mice, will go stockpile some now, grrrh!

Good luck with the rats OP,

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 14-May-14 16:10:29

I wouldn't use glue traps either - they will chew their own legs off trying to free themselves and they shriek

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now