Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Erm I'm not trying to drown my baby!

(26 Posts)
ItsBritneyBitch Tue 13-May-14 21:35:25

Going swimming for the third time with nearly 7month old baby tomorrow.

The friend I'm going with asked "have you put her under yet?"

Erm what? shock

She said young babies have the "diving reflex" which means they can swim underwater without help.

Now before I go and do the poor child some damage, can someone verify this and possibly give me tips on how to do it safely? grin

ItsBritneyBitch Tue 13-May-14 21:36:06

I've just realised that title may be insensitive?! I do apologise if it is!

BillyBanter Tue 13-May-14 21:36:20

I'm not sure if it lasts as long as 7 months. you might want to check first...

TimeForAnotherNameChange Tue 13-May-14 21:38:15

Your friend is right! Just talk calmly an levelly to child your, pull her gently under the water and straight back up, keep talking and smiling. You'll be surprised smile Once or twice the first time will be fine, but most children love it. How is she with water over her face? We were doing this with ours from about three months old.

Hassled Tue 13-May-14 21:38:17

I think the baby has to be much younger - it's some instinctive memory of being in the amniotic fluid which is lost quite early. But whatever - why would you want to even try? Ignore mad friend.

BigRedBall Tue 13-May-14 21:38:24

You know I always wondered if that baby in "Tomorrow's World" (brilliant programme might I add!) was real. <Watching this thread.>

I thought it was the first 6 months? Probably totally wrong

therealeasterbunny Tue 13-May-14 21:40:09

I'm not sure of the specifics so can't give advice, but I took my DS swimming with my friend who is a swimming teacher when he was about 4 months old and I dunked him under her supervision and he loved it! (I wouldn't have done it without her there tho as it freaked me out a bit!!)

BingoWingsBeGone Tue 13-May-14 21:40:12

I thought the reflex was up to 6 months. DD1 went from 6 weeks and loves being underwater.

AngelsInWinter Tue 13-May-14 21:40:17

I couldn't do this, but I'm phobic of water so can't imagine putting my baby under it, if that makes sense...

TheNightIsDark Tue 13-May-14 21:46:00

It must be true. Look at Nirvana's Nevermind coverwink

ItsBritneyBitch Tue 13-May-14 21:48:41

Oooh I don't know wether to do it! She's ok with water on her face splashes about in the bath and loves swimming the last two times we went.

I'm thinking of swimming lessons but she'll be nearly eight months then surly that's to late?

I think ill give it a go tomorrow. I'm not sure. confused

hiccupgirl Tue 13-May-14 21:49:59

I think it's pre 6 months tbh. I remember taking my DS swimming around 8-9 months and trying to dunk him a tiny bit while being all calm and encouraging. He hated every second and screamed at me. He still doesn't like water on his face at 4.

I'd ignore your friend tbh.

ItsBritneyBitch Tue 13-May-14 21:50:40

TimeForAnother how old was you baby? Mines 6months 3weeks

privitandpetunias Tue 13-May-14 21:54:24

We did this at swimming lessons we were taught to count out loud to three bouncing them up and down, then on three blow on their face gently this encourages them to close their mouth and then dunk them under and lift them back up. We were told to start off just dunking them up to their nose the first couple of times then moving on to dunking them up to their eyes and then fully under.

Mine started quite young but the teacher used the same technique when they started at the same age as your baby.

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Tue 13-May-14 21:55:37

My baby of exactly the same age as yours has been doing this since he was 3 months. She'll either love it or hate it.

Three very important things to remember:

1 make sure you have her attention before you dunk her. This will be the hardest part grin

2 make sure all of her head goes in. If the top of it is above the water there is a risk she will inhale and swallow water.

3 BIG smile and lots of praise when she comes up. Even (especially) if you are terrified.

ImperfectTense Tue 13-May-14 21:55:59

Used to go to a parent and baby swimming class and they did dunk them under. We had some pics taken underwater. The teacher put them under and they swam to the surface. I think DD was at least 10 months at the time.

Arion Tue 13-May-14 21:57:40

The reflex is till 12 months. I started water babies with DD 1 week before her 1st birthday.

You give a command, we used 1,2,3, bubbles, then you take them under the water. Hold them around the chest, under their arms, by your side, so they're flat in the water. Then dive them down and up again. You must make sure they are totally submerged for the reflex to kick in, not just have their face under. Don't let go, and expect them to be able to swim back up!

The command is so they learn what's coming and hold their breath once the reflex has gone.

ItsBritneyBitch Tue 13-May-14 22:12:59

Ok some really good advice here I really think I'm going to give it ago. If I have confidence to do it then she should feed off that and not be scared!

I saw water babies and another class that's near me and they both do the underwater pictures the look amazing!

I will post tomorrow and let you all know how it went!

slithytove Tue 13-May-14 22:15:52

You can do this, but you don't do it right away, you build up to it. You also train the baby as it were to expect it by always saying 1, 2, 3, and then under. They learn to hold their breath. Before you get to this stage, you do 1, 2, 3, and blow on their faces. Once they are used to this, you do the dunking.

It's online if you google.

slithytove Tue 13-May-14 22:17:01

X posts, should really rtft!

zoobaby Tue 13-May-14 22:17:57

We did water babies too. Very good. The command was "Name, Ready, Go". We learnt the same style as described as arion but before that we did one where you held them under arms, supporting their chest in palm of your hand where you're travelling backwards and they are coming forward skimming along surface of water. You give command and dip them down, pull them through water and raise them up all in one go. As they cope, you go longer and deeper. Then progressed to slight release and hold again.

I think the key is to be calm and to progress slowly. Don't just dunk them 5 times in 5 mins.

HRMumness Tue 13-May-14 22:21:48

There is definitely some kind of reflex which means they don't take in water but unsure of when it stops. We have done waterbabies since DD was 4 months, she is now almost 22 months and they do underwater swims on their own now (briefly). Although my DH takes her rather than me, which is a good thing because I'm a total worrywart.

I don't think it is too late to sign her up for swimming classes and if she enjoys it, perhaps give one of your local baby swim classes a call? A lot of what they do is prepare them if they were ever to fall into water through singing / repetition / associated actions.

WaitingForMe Tue 13-May-14 22:28:15

I have a gorgeous picture of DS naked and swimming free underwater.

Cute now. Leverage for GCSE revision later.wink

SourSweets Tue 13-May-14 22:56:12

Yes, train them first. Name, ready, go (pause) and then splash water onto his face. After a few times of repeating this he'll know to close his eyes and hold his breath after the word go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now