Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I am not Woo but this has freaked me out!!!

(30 Posts)
EmotionalCrotch Tue 13-May-14 13:39:11

Will probably out myself if the other person involved is an MNer...

Visiting my Granda and was talking to the lass who lives under his. She has a little boy and I was talking to him about cartoons etc...

Anyway! The Mam said "Oh by the way, you know your Granda, what was his wife your Grandma called?"

Me thinking this was a strange question considering she has been dead 14 year and this lass only moved in last year, "Mary, why?"

Her, "OMG!!! REALLY!?"

Me, "Why"

Her, "just he <points at her DS> talks to a Mary every day, she asks for biscuits and says she likes it here, things go missing then turn up and I've seen a shadow of a lady out the corner of my eye a few times, and I've heard a womans voice coming from the bairns room of a night time! I wasn't sure if it was the name of the woman who lived here before me."

Me <covered head to toe in goose bumps> "well actually my Nana (Mary) used to be best friends with Betty who used to live here!"

Her "Its ok she doesn't scare us but what are the chances of it being the name Mary!"

Now I don't, well didn't believe but I am now. The coincidences are tooooo uncanny for my liking. Bearing in mind all the people who live around my Granda are now young couples who have moved in in the last couple of years and he doesn't talk to anyone as he is really deaf.

<checks out goose bumps on arm>

EasterSundaySimmons Tue 13-May-14 13:42:40

Wouldn't it be a Betty who he should be talking to? Mary lived upstairs?

WorraLiberty Tue 13-May-14 13:43:45

I take it you're Irish?

The name Mary has to be the most common ever

I have an Aunt named Mary on both sides and countless cousins/second cousins called Mary too.

EmotionalCrotch Tue 13-May-14 13:44:44

My Nana was always in Bettys house. They were best friends and she was bed bound so she was always in Bettys <the little lads> bedroom keeping her company and watching tv with her.

EmotionalCrotch Tue 13-May-14 13:45:32

Nope not Irish. Live in NE England.

WorraLiberty Tue 13-May-14 13:46:46

In fact I went to a clairvoyant evening at an Irish club once

The guy said to the crowd "I have a 'Mary' trying to make contact. Does anyone know a Mary who has passed to the other side?"

Fuck me, everyone had a dead Mary! grin

squoosh Tue 13-May-14 13:47:24

I love that Mary still has a fondness for biscuits in her ghostly realm!

WorraLiberty Tue 13-May-14 13:47:55

I thought you were Irish cos of the word 'Granda'

But all the same, Mary is still a common name.

squoosh Tue 13-May-14 13:48:59

There are loads of fascinating anecdotes of children 'speaking' to dead people and remembering other people's memories. I've no idea what it means but it makes for good reading.

magimedi Tue 13-May-14 13:51:54

SHE asked you the name & then said that was th name her DC was using?

hmm very hmm

EmotionalCrotch Tue 13-May-14 13:56:35

She had mentioned it to another neighbour who happened to be hanging her washing out and backed up what she had been saying.

Freaked me out all the same.

Sheeesh look at you lot being all anti woo probably would be the same if it was some body else grin

EasterSundaySimmons Tue 13-May-14 13:57:14

But why is Mary appearing downstairs and not upstairs in her own home?

Betty must be bloody furious that she is on the other side whilst Mary is living in her old flat and scoffing biscuits!

WorraLiberty Tue 13-May-14 13:58:43

Why do so many Mnetters claim not to believe in woo

And then post the most outrageous woo stories? grin

Burren Tue 13-May-14 14:00:21

I wouldn't get carried away with the goosebumps, personally. (Not to rain on your parade!)

I think your grandfather's superstitious downstairs neighbour is putting two and two together and making about seventeen - why did she leap to the conclusion her child might be talking to your dead grandmother, as she clearly had if she was asking her name out of the blue? And I notice she waited for you to tell her your grandmother's name before claiming her son was talking to an invisible, biscuit-loving ghost 'Mary'. She didn't say 'My son has an imaginary friend called Mary, which is puzzling me, because we don't know any Marys.'

YOU gave her the 'spooky' coincidental name information here.

Incidentally, my two-year-old son's imaginary friends (Iggle Piggle, Elvis from Fireman Sam and the Gruffalo's Child, currently, with a few occasional visitors from whatever bedtime books we're reading) always ask for biscuits.

squoosh Tue 13-May-14 14:01:22

I believe in woo and nothing remotely woo-ish has ever happened to me. Most unfair.

Burren Tue 13-May-14 14:01:31

x-post with the equally sceptical Magi.

onetiredmummy Tue 13-May-14 14:01:56

Ask your Granda if he has ever sensed her? Has she asked the child for a description of Mary?

Mary is a very very common name, both for a forename & also a middle name. May not be the same Mary at all. I'm glad that biscuits still exist in the afterlife though grin

squoosh Tue 13-May-14 14:02:05

If anyone knows where a person can go for a good time-slip please let me know.

onetiredmummy Tue 13-May-14 14:03:14

That one in Liverpool squoosh.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 13-May-14 14:03:43

That made me prickle all over.

onetiredmummy Tue 13-May-14 14:04:20

Bold Street

RabbitPies Tue 13-May-14 14:05:23

I've been wondering that for ages Worra. They always claim to be the least woo person ever,but dozens of much more likely explanations later,and they're still insistent that they saw a purple dragon in their garden.

squoosh Tue 13-May-14 14:05:36

Bold Street, that's right onetiredmummy! Great stories about that place. When I go to Liverpool I will make sure I take a stroll down Bold Street.

RabbitPies Tue 13-May-14 14:09:25

I've always thought that the afterlife sounded a bit shit if it consists of talking gibberish to Derek Acorah,playing an otherworldly version of Countdown with bored teenagers and their ouija board,and tipping 50 Shades of Grey off the shelf,but if there's biscuits to be had, I might just sign up for it.

Burren Tue 13-May-14 14:23:19

I couldn't be doing with all that showing up at spiritualist churches and séances, making gnomic pronouncements about an illness coming to someone whose name begins with M, and how Auntie Marge's missing cardigan button is down the back of the sofa. It would take more than a few custard creams...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now