Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Please tell me your awful employment stories

(53 Posts)
Objection Tue 13-May-14 12:48:35

I am working a three week temp job with the most awful woman - I'm a Nanny and she's the Mum and she has been so completely overbearing it is insane.
She has corrected everything I've done right from how to put the boys' shoes on to how to close the curtains.
I'm going insane!
Please tell me awful stories to give me some perspective a laugh

Sleepybunny Tue 13-May-14 13:17:13

My boss is also overbearing and insane. At first I thought it was a case of him learning to trust that I could do the job, but when he started correcting himself and going in circles. I quickly realised its a bit more than that!

He's also conveniently forgetful regarding anything I speak about, but sharp as a tack when he wants something.

He'll argue black is white most of the time. Lucky for him I'm laid back.

I once worked for a woman who would talk to me whilst leaving the room and continue the conversation down the hall way. Leaving me perplexed in my office.

I feel your pain! I'm cursed with working for the socially inept and control freak sociopath types.

JingletsJangletsYellowBanglets Tue 13-May-14 13:28:43

I'd say, I realise you have a specific way you prefer to do things, but as I'm not training to be a permanent nanny in your household and only here for a temporary period, I would prefer if you stopped insisting I do every task your specific way and instead let me focus on your children.

ContinentalKat Tue 13-May-14 13:32:48

Fond memories of a job in a small open office. Boss to his assistant, both well within earshot, "could you please ask kat to do xyz". She then came over, talked to me, within earshot of boss, and reported back to him afterwards.
It was like being in a surrealist play. I left pretty quickly.

Mrpicklesesquire Tue 13-May-14 13:40:57

my dp's boss insists on calling him every morning at 6.55 am

1. To see if hes up yet - he gets up at 7 as hes in for 8, and
2. To tell him what needs taking where that morning (dp's a driver, once he gets to work he gets his notes anyway with all his deliveries on for the day).

Im still at a loss as to why he has to call every morning. with a teething toddler once a few months ago Id had no sleep and had gone back to bed, queue his boss calling him so woke me and ds up.

Dont think he was expecting me to have leapt over dp to grab the phone and give him an earful that morning, but he didnt call again for a while, instead he would text hmm. now its gone back to calling. Cant wait for dp to move jobs though!

Thistledew Tue 13-May-14 13:51:53

I worked for an awful woman once who insisted on micro-managing everything I did, even though I had had significantly more experience and responsibility in my previous role. I could tell you stories all day about how her insane efforts to time manage me actually meant at times that it was impossible for me to get on with my work at all.

One example that does make me laugh was regarding an IT issue. When I started in the job she informed me that she wanted to check every item of correspondence that I sent out. I was to send it to her by email, she would check it and amend if necessary, then email it back to me to print, sign and take to the post room. In my previous role I had had full responsibility for doing this sort of correspondence and more, and would only speak to my supervisor about something I wanted to send if I had a particular query or concern.

On my first day she told me that there was a special program for sending email attachments internally. This meant that you could send a link, which the recipient would open - enabling them to amend the original document. Unfortunately, the whole IT department was busy dealing with some major crisis, so they had not been able to do my induction and set me up with the relevant passwords. I suggested that I just send her the documents as a standard attachment to start with until the IT team were free.

I should have taken it as a warning that she said that this was not good enough and I should go and wait in the IT room until someone was free to do my induction.

I worked this way for about 4 months - every day sending around half a dozen documents, which I carefully emailed to her and then printed out from this special link when she emailed back. After this four months I left, kind of by mutual agreement as we had a fairly mutual dislike of each other by this point.

What makes me laugh to this day I realised on my very last day that my boss had no idea how to use this special IT system that she had been so keen for me to use. Rather than using the link system she had been creating a new copy of the file and had been saving her amendments as a completely different file! I had no idea. I had been sending out the original version of the documents I had created, completely negating all the amendments she had made (which, from the files I checked, were just stylistic changes rather than anything of substance). I do wonder what happened if any of the client files were audited, and it became obvious that she had charged for time she had spend on amendments, when no amended documents appeared on the paper file.

missmash Tue 13-May-14 14:00:44

Worst one was an ex boss who asked me to get on my knees if I would like my wages.hmm

holidaysarenice Tue 13-May-14 14:14:08

Missmash tell me you didnt?????

Objection Tue 13-May-14 14:18:07

Oh jinglets I would absolutely love to bit don't have the guts!

Objection Tue 13-May-14 14:20:43

missmash!!! shock

SuperFlyHigh Tue 13-May-14 14:25:44

too many to list….

temped at air conditioning company out on industrial estate in Croydon, the boss looked like Lurch out of The Munsters (or Adams Family) and he invited me to a dominatrix expo thing up in Earls Court. Of course I declined.

the other admin person was a tiny young woman who played hockey in her spare time and was a bit of a geezer-bird, she drank lots of JD and didn't want to be seen as feminine. we got those phone with digital faces - she called my boss' "Lurch", hers "JD" and mine "Tinkerbell".

The worst was when I'd been in a bad car crash severe whiplash and knee pains and was off a week, my boss thought I was lying until he saw the police report/insurance report I'd filled out, in work. then he said "oh it was a bad car crash wasn't it?!"

I worked for a food service company during my first semester at uni and was questioned every time I tried to do anything due to my visual impairment.

Not nice sad

TheLastNameLeft Tue 13-May-14 14:26:44

About three bosses ago, my line manager (newly promoted) had this thing about "priorities" to the point where I had about 5, she then came over and added another "priority" to which I responded "which priority comes first" "this one" she said... so I was then prioritising over my priorities.. nightmare she was but then again scared of getting anything wrong. I liked her really!

Strawdolly Tue 13-May-14 14:28:25

Objection, could you ask her how she would like something done before you do it? If she's spending so much time watching over you why doesn't she just look after her own children wink

I once worked for a woman who tried to use the fact my child had died to bully me. Goodness knows why she felt the need to try such a thing. Pathetic.

SpottieDottie Tue 13-May-14 14:30:58

Being refused time of for ante-natal appointments.

SleepySuitcaseSheepie Tue 13-May-14 14:34:11

Hasn't read earlier poss but jut wanted to say I have been there and done it, I'm a nanny too!

I have had some horror stories but I can't tell due to confidentially sad

Good luck, what I find most is counting down each day, a little treat every day after work, and then a big treat once you have finished the job! Good luck!

StarDustInTheWind Tue 13-May-14 14:34:50

I was a boss... had a member of staff who made fraudulent entries on his time sheet, had a private word in my office - first warning sort of thing - I still have the scar where he threw the chair at my head...

he was moved to another department - with MORE PAY!!..

I left soon after..

TheBogQueen Tue 13-May-14 14:35:48

When I was about 18 I had a job in a record shop - Our Price - and was kneeling putting 12 inch records on a shelf when the 'manager' stood next to me put his hands on his hips, thrust his crotch towards my face and said: "While you're down there love.."

twat

Objection Tue 13-May-14 14:36:09

straw dolly - don't get me started. I'll rant! I will!

I was young & not very worldly when & worked in a pub. My Managers were lovely. However we would get temps in to cover their holidays.

There was one particular man who made me clean the floor with a toothbrush because he said I needed to learn my station in life hmm

Momonga Tue 13-May-14 14:43:23

One of my colleagues is very annoying. Our work is slow and detailed, we need to concentrate and not be startled as otherwise our drawings will completely mess up- he has knocked into me more times than I can count and then, in a kind of baby voice, goes 'I'm sowwy'. He comes in and sniffs all the bloody time, he prances about singing Disney songs (this is relevant to our work but none of us wants Let It Go belted out by a guy who can't hold a tune) and has made suggestive comments to one of my friends. Thankfully he's almost certainly going to be let go of once our current project is completed, not that he knows that yet.

I moved to a school as second in a core subject department having been teaching for six years at that point.

The head of department was new too and the worst kind of micromanager. She would insist I saw her every day before I left the school for a debrief and then ring me at home between 8 and 10pm for a further debrief. She also insisted that I email her every document or PowerPoint I made for distribution within the department before I sent it out and without fail would change the font or page margins or something aesthetic so it was more "stylish". She was fucking mad.

Luckily she left within a couple of years for a leadership role at another school. Happy days. I assume she's given herself a heart attack or stroke through stress now. She was the dictionary definition of "sweat the small stuff".

Blithereens Tue 13-May-14 14:45:53

I spent a year in an office where it was deathly silent all day apart from when, at least once a day, an argument would break out, usually between the senior managers, and someone would scream, shout, swear or cry during the row and storm out. It was so bad the CEO went through six assistants in the year I was there :O

There was no work to do once you'd been in for half an hour, but you weren't allowed to do anything else so you would literally have to sit there, still, in the complete silence, for hours and hours, day after day, apart from the screaming fights. It was horrendous. I started job-hunting after the first week! Never so happy to leave anywhere in my life.

OnlyLovers Tue 13-May-14 15:08:45

Mrsickles, why doesn't your DP just switch his phone off?

Objection Tue 13-May-14 15:41:16

starting to feel better. keep the coming! glad to hear people can understand my pain with micromanagement mum.
aim sure she does it to look/feel like she's actually doing something. An attempt to justify the lifestyle choice, but my god is everything made 4 times harder than it needs to be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now