Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Can anyone recommend a stonkingly good book for this evening?

(144 Posts)
akaWisey Sun 11-May-14 19:31:38

One that had you hooked quickly? Genre pretty unimportant but I tend away from magical realism.

I've run out of ideas and want something to read!!

TIA

LauraChant Sun 11-May-14 19:34:38

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Deffo. You have probably already read it though.

ChippyMinton Sun 11-May-14 19:36:53

Burning Air by Erin Kelly

akaWisey Sun 11-May-14 19:39:56

Thanks both, haven't read either and I've just had a quick look at the reviews on Amazon. They're both well recommended there too.

Stripytop Sun 11-May-14 19:41:18

Just read buriel rites by Hannah Kent which was surprisingly unputdownable. Now reading The Fault in our Stars by John green. It's aimed at teenagers I think but it's definitely one I'd recommend.

LeBearPolar Sun 11-May-14 19:43:53

Longbourn by Jo Baker - read it recently and really got into it. It's the story of Pride and Prejudice from the perspective of the servants.

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 11-May-14 19:44:46

Alan Bissett 'Death of a Ladies' Man'. Hilarious, brilliant read.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Sun 11-May-14 19:45:48

I am loving The Cuckoo's Calling...by Jk Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith. Detective novel.

littlegreengloworm Sun 11-May-14 19:47:21

Out a few years but I loved The Memory Keepers Daughter

akaWisey Sun 11-May-14 19:47:56

Right - have downloaded Donna Tartt AND Alan Bissett. And I've got a list to come back to!! Thanks so much grin

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 11-May-14 19:51:41

If you're not Scottish you may not get the humour in Death of a Ladies' Man, OP. I've to collect 'Boyracers' from library tomorrow as it's on reserve (his debut novel).

Can also recommend Ian Rankin 'Knots and crosses'.

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 11-May-14 19:52:56

I remember reading Donna Tartt's book 'The Little Friend' several years back - if that book is anything to go by then 'The Secret History' will be good too.

Thanks for starting the thread, btw smile

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 11-May-14 19:55:17

Last book I couldn't put down was Room by Emma Donoghue.

Shinyshoes2 Sun 11-May-14 20:01:57

The woman who went to bed for a year - Sue Townsend

It's hilarious !!

CorusKate Sun 11-May-14 20:11:29

Cities In Flight by James Blish.

ASmidgeofMidge Sun 11-May-14 20:13:00

Omg am envy that you're getting to read The Secret History for the first time. I adore it

MerryInthechelseahotel Sun 11-May-14 20:13:22

My time, your time by Mary Torjussen. It is a really good thriller. I read it without stopping!

Primadonnagirl Sun 11-May-14 20:15:22

Before we met..don't be put off that it's a Richard and Judy choice..it is fab! Me and others were hooked from first page

SagaNorensLeatherTrousers Sun 11-May-14 20:20:30

Why couldn't I get into A Secret History? I didn't care about the characters enough I think. Should I give it another go? confused

brainwashed Sun 11-May-14 20:26:14

I started reading the knife of never letting go yesterday and was hooked pretty quickly. Aimed at teenagers//young adults but don't let that put you off.

Coumarin Sun 11-May-14 20:36:31

Slight derailment just to say, how awesome is it that we can just download whatever book we want whenever we fancy it. It still thrills me. Little things...

<living in the future>

LornaGoon Sun 11-May-14 20:40:56

I finished reading The Crimson Petal and the White by Micheal
Faber today.I highly recommend it; fantastic story and brilliant style of writing.

Probably a bit late but 'Smashed' by Koren Zailckas is an excellent read

glowstick Sun 11-May-14 20:44:14

Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver- skim the short first chapter though - it only gets going in the second...

akaWisey Sun 11-May-14 21:17:35

Definitely not too late, I'm reading all the time so these are all going on my list - thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now