Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

People who don't comfort eat: how do you de-stress?

(41 Posts)
LadyAlysVorpatril Sun 04-May-14 22:42:04

I am trying to diet but my habit of dealing with stress by eating is so hard to beat. All the ways I can think of to relax or destress are impossible when you're in sole charge of a 2 year old all day and work in the evening.

Eg. We had a stressful 1.5 hr train journey where he wanted to run around and I had to keep him in his seat without being able to distract him with books, a meal, or playing on my phone because he gets travel sick. I felt so frazzled at the end of it (and we were still 2.5hrs from home!). All I wanted to do was eat. What would a normal person do?

Any suggestions welcome!

WorraLiberty Sun 04-May-14 22:47:26

Honestly? I just accept that right now, is a very stressful situation and that it will eventually be over.

I used to focus on their bedtime and count down the minutes grin

treaclesoda Sun 04-May-14 22:49:10

I drink gallons of coffee blush

That's not good either but it takes my mind off wanting to eat

DurhamDurham Sun 04-May-14 22:50:53

I spend hours in the bath, literally entire evenings spent in the bath topping up when necessary. If I find myself getting stressed or miserable I run a bath and disappear.

Meglet Sun 04-May-14 22:52:14

Pre-kids I would beast it at the gym.

Now I'm stuck in the house I shovel food in like there's no tomorrow when I'm stressed. Salted popcorn is my vice.

gamerchick Sun 04-May-14 22:54:24

ciggie or redbull in the shorterm. But mostly xbox with a bit of bingo thrown in. bingo is one of the places you can go to alone.. where no kids are allowed, lasts around 2 hours and you finish at 9. Of course with the little bit of potential winnings thrown in.

I can't eat past 6ish pm or I get horrible nightmares so comfort eating is no good to me anyroad.

thenightsky Sun 04-May-14 22:54:39

When I'm really properly stressed my stomach is in knots and i'm unable to eat without feeling sick.

Fairylea Sun 04-May-14 22:55:20

I choose cake.

And that's why I am fat.

But I'd rather be fat than stressed.

When I was very slim it was because I replaced the cake with vodka and slimline tonic and then I was too off my trolley to fancy eating cake.

As you can tell.. I might need some tips too.

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 04-May-14 23:09:44

I do a number of things, depending on time and energy available. Not all of them good for me.

I smoke.
I drink tea.
I go for a walk.
I get off my arse and do some stretches.
I drink alcohol.
I imagine what I would do on my dream holiday (which I sometimes research on the Internet).blush
I dance.
I comfort eat sometimes, but when I do, I don't eat much.

Maybe if I do more of the good de-stressers, I'll need the bad ones less often. <<lightbulb moment>>

trufflesnout Sun 04-May-14 23:17:01

I am slim and stressed.

justkeeponsmiling Sun 04-May-14 23:21:41

Alcohol. Every time grin

LadyAlysVorpatril Sun 04-May-14 23:24:08

Well, we do have some vodka in the house :-)

LadyAlysVorpatril Sun 04-May-14 23:25:49

I suppose worra's advice is probably better though. Just accept the stress and ignore the chocolate croissants!

MistyMeena Sun 04-May-14 23:27:38

When stressed I can't eat. I am very often stressed (self employed!) therefore I am thin. When I find time to eat I eat crap. I am underweight and probably very unhealthy. To de-stress I go to bed as soon as kids are asleep. Makes for an interesting marriage. More stress. Sorry to derail. Feeling sorry for self today!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 04-May-14 23:30:18

Wine.

pommedeterre Sun 04-May-14 23:32:55

Currently pg so back to eating but last year I stopped my binges by not eating breakfast and drinking lots of wine every evening. I was the slimmest id been for ages.

JassyRadlett Sun 04-May-14 23:39:05

I keep my hands busy - knitting and sewing, mainly.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sun 04-May-14 23:52:43

Black tea and splatter movies. If this isn't possible, a gyro hand exerciser. After 20 minutes, the fatigue shuts down appetite.

MostWicked Mon 05-May-14 00:02:30

Tea
Coffee
Wine
Walk
Exercise
Scream
Play a game
Bath
Accept the situation
Do something about it.

I can't eat when I'm stressed or sad. I want booze. Or coffee during the day. I

I do get PMT sugar craving so I understand that need to feed. I'm going on a no sugar diet in June to try and stop cravings.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 05-May-14 00:10:37

Tea.
Do something active. Could be running around with the kid or attacking pruning shrubs with loppers.

Watch/listen to something that makes me laugh.

Bath

Killer sudoku or a cryptic crossword at bedtime (diverts the brain from stressy thoughts)

More tea (decaff after 6pm).

kissmyheathenass Mon 05-May-14 00:16:32

I walk my dog - fast and furious. Or I drink wine. Often occasionally after a good walk the desire for wine has vanished.

LadyAlysVorpatril Mon 05-May-14 00:23:19

Right, I am going to try to substitute comfort eating with exercise. This is it. I am changing my life!

kissmyheathenass Mon 05-May-14 00:27:13

Find an exercise you enjoy. It has taken me decades to realise I love walking, fast and on my own. its a great de-stresser. Hate hate hate gyms ,jogging, classes and most other forms of exercise.

DrinkMoreWater Mon 05-May-14 00:28:54

Do you feel hungry or do you just fancy something nice or do you want a whole packet of biscuits 'because you can'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now