Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

If you are or were taking anti depressants, are you be brave enough to say so?

(162 Posts)
SoleSource Sun 04-May-14 21:51:12

I started Setraline 50 mg on Thursday.

I am feeing better already, got anxiety and depression.

How have you been taking them for?
Which kind and dose?
Did they help you?

smile x

magimedi Tue 06-May-14 17:50:20

I was on citralopram for a year for anxiety. It took a melt down for me to admit it & go to the GP. I then wished I had ages before. They really, really helped me & now I can cope with the anxiety when I see it coming. If it got bad again I'd have no hesitation in going back on them.

So pleased to hear you are feeling better, Sole. You've always come over as such a capable person & I am so happy that you have used that to take this step to help you cope.

A very big hug to you from me. XXXXXXXXXXXX

Ah sole glad you're feeling great. Mental Health team visited me today and decided to give me a Diazzy. Feel nice smile

SoleSource Tue 06-May-14 16:42:07

grin

oh bring it on

GarlicMayHaveNamechanged Tue 06-May-14 16:27:21

You'd be like this!

SoleSource Tue 06-May-14 15:30:06

Hope so Garlic, thank you smile

Imagine what 100 mg would do to me shock

GarlicMayHaveNamechanged Tue 06-May-14 14:50:35

Haha smile Any day now you'll realise the world does not in fact hate you flowers

SoleSource Tue 06-May-14 14:20:43

Yes shall do!! grin

Feeling smug to the world and its pathetic hate of me grin

GarlicMayHaveNamechanged Tue 06-May-14 14:11:58

Blimey! I wish mine were that good grin

I'm so pleased for you, Sole. Carry on taking care of yourself now: that's an order!

SoleSource Tue 06-May-14 13:55:18

field not filed*

SoleSource Tue 06-May-14 13:54:55

I feel so relaxed. As if I have an invisible protection filed in me and surrounding me. Lots of things could have really made me feel like utter shit the past few days but they haven't grin

I hope this feeling doesn't ware off.

Upwards and onwards.

FanFuckingTastic Tue 06-May-14 01:59:37

The law doesn't always protect you, I've experienced that as a woman and as a mental health sufferer. I'm in the position of having multiple disabilities, not just my mental health, so I cope alright without working, whilst I don't want to have it be that way forever. I say what I say as a means of being able to find the right employer for me, by being upfront, I know whether they'll deal with my disabilities fairly, or whether the first bump in the road means either going through horrible tribunal stress, or losing a job. Both to me are infinitely worse than the rejection because of who I am at the beginning stages of looking for work.

I might be different if I HAD to work, because then it would be about supporting my children and omitting certain medical information might be necessary, but I really wish it wasn't, it's so horrible that people get discriminated against because of their health. But I did my time as a legal secretary for an employment solicitor, and was well aware of how difficult the process for taking employers to tribunal can be. I can see why people with mental health problems don't want to go through the process as it is very triggering.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 05-May-14 23:38:36

No I agree the law won't always protect you. I am lucky that my employer was very supportive as when I was ill there is no way I could have coped with tribunals.

Hope they work for you op, sertraline is the third I have tried and is wonderful for me smile

CaptChaos Mon 05-May-14 22:37:43

I have taken ADs on and off since I was 15. I am off them now and have been for 4 years. I also trained as an RMN. I make no secret of it, if people ask, I am happy to discuss it with them. I had a breakdown 11 years ago and was a voluntary in patient and my DSs were in foster care for a while so that I could get well.

If you have told another person about you taking AD'S and their response felt hurtful, what did you say back?

My mother tells me I'm a bit weak for having had depression, she forgets that I remember her being depressed. I think it's fear. My vile SiL is the same, but I have since found out that she is also on them.

I have asked people if they take painkillers when they are in pain, and that I have taken ADs because I was ill. If they don't like it. Tough!

Rommell Mon 05-May-14 22:27:01

Oh I agree that people should know - and good luck to anyone who wants to take out a case under the legislation, or any shop steward who wants to support an employee who is being discriminated against. I suppose what I'm saying is that just because it's illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen and it certainly doesn't mean that people can necessarily rely on the law to protect them just because it says it will.

I rang ACAS as they basically said I couldn't take it to tribunal and could only appeal, didn't want to appeal because I didn't want to step foot in there ever again.

I've had depression since being 17 but don't class it as a disability, it does hinder me if I have a bad day or tablets stop working but that's about it.

blossommy Mon 05-May-14 22:22:06

From govt website:

When a mental health condition becomes a disability
A mental health condition is considered a disability if it has a long-term effect on your normal day-to-day activity. This is defined under the Equality Act 2010.
Your condition is ‘long term’ if it lasts, or is likely to last, 12 months.

‘Normal day-to-day activity’ is defined as something you do regularly in a normal day. For example - using a computer, working set times or interacting with people.

If your mental health condition means you are disabled you can get support at work from your employer.

There are many different types of mental health condition which can lead to a disability, including:

dementia
depression
bipolar disorder
obsessive compulsive disorder
schizophrenia
self-harm

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 05-May-14 22:16:22

I chose to tell my new employer because I had a long period of time off sick. I had a genuine reason for that so I told them
I also ticked the box to confirm I considered myself to have a disability.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 05-May-14 22:14:43

I didn't say therefore you will be fine to be fair. But it IS illegal and people should know.

Rommell Mon 05-May-14 22:11:50

There's no timeframe on taking cases of discrimination to tribunal, so that part is bullshit. As for whether it is classed as a disability or not, that turns on the facts - the basic test is if whether you have a physical/mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out day to day activities. So the scope is quite wide, and quite possibly you'd be able to prove it.

Fruli Mon 05-May-14 22:07:09

Citalopram, 20mg. Rubbish for the first month but better since - glad I persevered. While mine was part PND, part sleep deprivation and part a wholly unsupportive work environment, I'm not intending to stop/wean just yet.

Who knows? My DH, MiL, close friends, Mumsnet (now!) and the new boss. Anyone else who should need to know I wouldn't have a problem telling them. If you've seen the Black Dog and Depression video, it helps me explain some things.

When I got sacked I was told I couldn't pursue it because it wasn't classed as a disability, and I'd been there less than 2 years

Rommell Mon 05-May-14 21:56:51

Not all mh diagnoses are classed as a disability. And even if you can overcome that hurdle, going to tribunal is extremely stressful. So it's all very well to talk about how things should be, but if you have to get by, you just make the decision that works best for you. Some employers are great, true, like the one I went to after I was an in-patient; I really couldn't fault them at all. But there are plenty that aren't, so I now take the view that why should I put myself in the potential firing line. It is a personal decision, I think - there's no right and wrong. But I think that telling people it's illegal to discriminate (which of course it is) and therefore you will be fine (when you won't always) is not very helpful.

AbbeyBartlet Mon 05-May-14 21:54:18

I have been on 300 mg of Venlafaxine per day for years. I didn't inform my employer but it's on the emergency sheet for work (I keep these records so convenient!).

I don't advertise it but if someone asks I would tell them.

Its also illegal for potential employers to ask about sickness records until you have been offered a job.

I didn't know this. 2 of my previous jobs made me do a list of illness I had and medications I took!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 05-May-14 21:47:17

It illegal to withdraw a job offer due to mental health issues as it is seen as a disability.
Its also illegal for potential employers to ask about sickness records until you have been offered a job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now