Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How do you use your food processor?

(60 Posts)

Inspired by another thread. I have used mine to make hummus, which was nice. I've tried using it to cut onions and they turned to mush.

I bought it thinking it would turn me into a domestic goddess. Please tell me what to use it for with very specific dummy proof instructions!

How do you use it with veg without them turning into mush? And what else can you use it for?

lucysmam Sun 04-May-14 14:49:49

I use it for grating cheese because a normal grater hurts my hands sad (that and it's quick).

I whizz up cake/muffin mix too & add any chunky bits after.

Chop veg with the slicing blade so it's fine. Or with the bigger blade for chunkier, more substantial, veggies.

I've just hand-chopped a cabbage from FIL's allottment like a plank and then realised I could have shredded it using the chopping blade on the food processor confused hmm

I make pastry in it too, can't manage it by hand for some reason confused

If it was a bigger one, and had a dough hook, I'd use it for pizza dough as well.

Wiifitmama Sun 04-May-14 14:56:03

I just finished making cashew nut butter in mine. I use it to grind nuts to powder too. It got used earlier today for hummus. I make pesto in it all the time from whatever herbs I have. I made a kale pesto in it last week. I don't use mine for cakes only because i have a big electric mixer I use for that. I don't use it for bread or pizza dough either as I have a breadmaker that does that.

lucysmam Sun 04-May-14 14:57:50

oooh, I used it the other week for harissa paste too. And have used it for curry pastes as well smile

How WOULD you use it for cakes/dough? Am I missing a trick here because mine's small? I don't think it has a dough hook, just a couple of different slicing blades.

This is what I have. What are they all?!

Objection Sun 04-May-14 15:04:53

fir gathering dust and making me feel guilty. And it's very good at it!

Bunbaker Sun 04-May-14 15:05:20

What make is it? Did you get an instruction book with it?

lucysmam Sun 04-May-14 15:10:22

It looks like the one I have Antoinette, I use the top left blade in your pic for cake mix. I only ever make a choc sponge or buns though, never tried anything bigger in there. Same one for pastry/pastes too.

Same one for a few seconds for rough chopped chunks of veg.

Slicer for other stuff.

lucysmam Sun 04-May-14 15:11:07

& don't attempt pizza dough in it, it doesn't work out well confused

ForeskinHyena Sun 04-May-14 15:17:19

I use it to mush finely chop veg for bolognese etc so there are no lumps in it! I also use the grating attachment for making cauliflower rice (low carbing) and the slicer for shredding cabbage for coleslaw.

I whizz up crumble and pastry in it rather than all that fiddly crumbling by hand. I use the blender jug for smoothies and milk shakes.

SteveBrucesNose Sun 04-May-14 15:18:04

I put stuff in it that I want making smaller and press the zusch button. Usually onions if I'm Bjorne lazy that was meant to be being, but I like Autocorrects version better

Also for pâté and stuffing. But not at the same time.

Oh and tikka paste. I've not made that for ages. Guess what's for tea tonight?!

lucysmam which is the slicer? blush

It's a kenwood tiny thing. I bought it new but can't find the instruction book. Wonder if it's online...

CoconutAmericano Sun 04-May-14 15:43:45

I have a kenwood, bought last week. The attachment bottom right is a thick slicer/coarse grating disc. Its good for chopping veg apparently. Maybe handy for soups/casseroles/ spag bol maybe? Im going to try this attachment tomorrow on some onion peppers carrot and squash for preparing a tray of roast veg.

CoconutAmericano Sun 04-May-14 15:48:04

I use top left attachment for cake mix and hummus. I would imagine its handy for making the biscuit base for cheesecake too but i haven't tried that. I've been using the blender part for smoothies.

Bunbaker Sun 04-May-14 15:49:18

If you go on to the Kenwood website they have manuals for all of their products. Which model is it?

CoconutAmericano Sun 04-May-14 15:51:33

wiifitmama how do you make nut butter? I bought almond butter in my local health food shop recently. It wasn't cheap!

NearTheWindymill Sun 04-May-14 15:53:06

i mostly use just the liquidiser (for soup and making breadcrumbs) and the electric whisk for making cakes. The food processor is a pain to set up, takes up too much space if left set up and is a pig to clean. I do use it if I'm making a bit Gratin Dauphinoise though because I can't get the potatoe slices anything like thin enough as quickly by hand.

misscph1973 Sun 04-May-14 15:58:26

You should definitely look up your model online to see if there is a manual or suggestions for use of the different discs. My discs look different to yours.

But there is loads you can use a food processor for. I work as a translator, and one of my regular gigs is manuals and recipe books for a food processor manufacturer, and there are loads of things you can do with these machines.

Personally I make mayonnaise (with the knife, your top left), really gorgeous, and I also make pesto, curry pastes and I chop cabbage for cole slaw and other cabbage dishes. I have also made crumble for apple crumble, dough for quiche and date balls (lots of dried fruit chopped together in the food processor and then rolled into balls by hand).

I also have a blender, as I find the food processor can't chop/mix/blend as fine as a blender.

itsonlysubterfuge Sun 04-May-14 15:59:52

To mince veg without turning it into mush, you should pulse rather than just turn it on and let it spin round. Think 2 second pulses with 2-3 second pauses. Really watery things, like pepper for example you should do lots of little batches rather than one big batch and again, make sure you pulse rather than just turn it on and let it go.

itsonlysubterfuge Sun 04-May-14 16:02:30

Also, nut butter is just dump nuts in and let it go, it could take a long time depending on the nuts and you may need to add a little extra oil if it's too dry. Usually you would use roasted nuts rather than raw nuts too. I was looking at making coconut butter and it takes 30 minutes! to turn dried coconut into coconut butter.

CoconutAmericano Sun 04-May-14 16:05:09

Love the idea of home made pesto. Anyone got a nice recipe for red pesto? I mix shop bought red pesto and cream into chicken and mix through pasta. My girls love it.

OK, some really good tips here. Anyone know what the plastic bits in my picture are? I can't work out if they're just for storing something or whether they're attachments?!

According to the bottom of my machine it's in the FP120 series, so I am off to look that up.

trixymalixy Sun 04-May-14 16:17:15

I use the grater attachment to grate carrots and courgettes to put in spaghetti Bol and stews or cake , cabbage and carrots for homemade coleslaw.

Miles easier than grating by hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now