Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Gumtree - ive been ripped off

(36 Posts)
MrsKnowName Sun 04-May-14 00:34:52

today I bought a elc dolls house off Gumtree for £50. The ad said as new never been played with, when I went to see it the woman had already dismantled it but it looked OK. when I got it home the front door has been snapped off, stairs is missing and vital part of the assembly is missing. plus the furniture included is very damaged. how I didn't spot it I don't know!! this was a birthday present for my 3year old dd and now I'm 50quid out of pocket with no present, I just can't give her it it barely stays together. I'm so angry and disappointed I explained to the woman who it was for not once did she mention the damage. I could cry sad sad sad

MrsRTea Sun 04-May-14 00:38:23

Oh no! Can you complain to Gumtree at all? REally sorry for your distress. sad

Have you told the woman you brought it from the state its in? Sounds stupid but she may have a heart

MrsKnowName Sun 04-May-14 00:43:11

I have written San email to Gumtree. I also have also contacted the woman by email but she also gave me her phone number I'll send her a text tomorrow. I'm just so annoyed at myself.

MrsKnowName Sun 04-May-14 00:43:57

no response from woman I don't think she has a heart... sad sad

MsMarvel Sun 04-May-14 00:46:28

Maybe wait longer than 10 mins after midnight on a Saturday night?

MrsKnowName Sun 04-May-14 00:47:22

I sent the email at 17:20 this afternoon...

If you know where she lives can't you just take it back?

MsMarvel Sun 04-May-14 00:51:08

Well you can understand that based on the information you have on the thread it was a bit hasty to be saying the person had no heart? She's maybe had a busy Saturday night.

HeartShapedBox Sun 04-May-14 00:57:46

I'd be going to her door first thing tomorrow, the cheeky fucking bitch.

she knew exactly what she was doing, dismantling it in advance.

If tomorrow she hasn't replied. I'd try calling her not everyone checks their emails daily.

Hmm, it does sound like she dismantled it so that you wouldn't notice the missing parts but it seems such a daft thing to do when the buyer is collecting it from your home and will no doubt come back to ask for a refund or the missing bits.

If she hasn't replied to your email by mid morning tomorrow give her a call. Try not to lose your temper - it may be possible that someone else moved the missing parts and she hadn't realised when she sold it to you.

Good luck.

Not sure if gumtree will be able to do anything but worth mentioning as they may be able to stop her selling on there, do you have the original add or maybe can you take a screen shot of the add?

You must be feeling so pissed off but fingers crossed you will hear back off her tomorrow sad

Bogeyface Sun 04-May-14 03:01:47

I would be inclined to take it right back to her house and demand your money back, threatening to involve the police if necessary.

MrsKnowName Sun 04-May-14 08:16:00

I have the original ad number. I can understand that she may not realise there were missing parts but the door is snapped off and you can see the damage but I didn't see it - I don't know if that was because it was "hidden" behind the other bits or I didn't notice. yeah maybe she had a busy sat but she managed to find the time to email me back to arrange a time just not to apologise for her mistake and to offer my money back. if I had paid £20 I would just put it down to my stupidity. I'm going to call her today sand see what she say - if she answers.

sillymillyb Sun 04-May-14 08:24:58

I think I would be turning up at her door with it and demanding a refund, though I appreciate this could be Risky. I hope it gets resolved for you op, I bloody hate unscrupulous sellers.

EasterSundaySimmons Sun 04-May-14 08:31:04

Unfortunately, you can never take the word of strangers and should have checked it over thoroughly before parting with your cash. However, the majority of people feel awkward about asking to thoroughly check, as they feel embarrassed.

People selling stuff that is damaged or not fit for purpose use this embarrassment to help make a quick sale.

I would bag it all up and return to her house. Do not act angry, just be firm that it's not in the condition that was described and you want your money back.

Texting will get you nowhere, you have to face the woman in person and by doing so and acting civilly you are likely to get a better outcome than if you go round screaming or ranting.

Good luck.

msrisotto Sun 04-May-14 08:34:08

I doubt you'll get any response from calling/texting. You're going to have to turn up at her house and demand your money back.

bimbobaggins Sun 04-May-14 08:35:32

Whenever i am selling anything i always ask the person buying to inspect the goods before buying it. Enen thouh some of them are quite happy to take the stuff without even taking it out of the bag/box etc but this is to keep myself in the right.

MrsKnowName Sun 04-May-14 08:43:38

and the embarrassed thing is me... that's why I have ended up in this mess. I know I should of checked it. OK I will go back to her house.

EasterSundaySimmons Sun 04-May-14 11:11:20

You need to see her quickly, before she has spent or banked the money, or says she has!

It is possible that the woman hadn't realised that there were some missing parts and may be able to retrieve them. That doesn't solve the broken door though.

If she refuses and stands her ground, I'm afraid there isn't much you can do and will have to chalk it down to experience and in future not be so trusting.

It's a horrible thing to happen and a lot of money to lose.

You could sell it on giving an accurate description as someone may be looking for spares or be able to repair it and you could either get your money back or at least a large proportion of it.

If you don't get a positive outcome from this woman, please don't let it get to you. Some people are unscrupulous and hopefully she will get her karma.

MrsKnowName Sun 04-May-14 11:56:49

I went to her house but she wasnt there so i sent her a text. she denied the broken door at first then said she didnt realise it was broken said there was only 1 set of stairs and said the missing bits are on her sofa. she said its what i should of extepected for £50. I pointed out her advert and the fact it had been advertised as in an as new condition as it was hardly played with. Im just waiting to hear back about a time to take it back to her. i feel i have been nice about it and i havent accused her. fingers crossed she comes back to me on this.

Sounds positive OP.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

HeartShapedBox Sun 04-May-14 15:26:01

has she got back to you yet, OP?

MrsKnowName Sun 04-May-14 17:32:37

no not yet. ill drop her another text around 8pm which has given her plenty of time. otherwise ill go back to her house tomorrow evening. thanks for all the advice and general sympathy. nothing like this had happened before. my backup plan is to sell on for 20 quid but i would imagine ill struggle to sell it even at that price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now