Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How old were your children when they first told you they loved you?

(62 Posts)
Namelessonsie Sat 03-May-14 21:33:04

Just that. Dd1 is nearly 3 and had never said she loves me despite being told that I love her daily, several times daily....

ThatBloodyWoman Sat 03-May-14 21:34:00

Can't remember but I don't think they did at 3.

PossumPoo Sat 03-May-14 21:35:22

I cant remember but I'd say definitely by 2. She's 3.3 now and says it regularly to me.

YouKnowNothingJonSnoow Sat 03-May-14 21:35:52

DS says it, after I say I love you, I love you, I love you. About three times and he'll say 'dove you mummy'. I think i put too much pressure on him to say it though! Ha. he He's 2.7 and started saying it back occasionally a couple of months back. He has said it once or twice spontaneously(sp?). He says it to his baby sister all the time whilst sitting on her!

PirateJones Sat 03-May-14 21:36:16

about 2.

Does she know "i love you" is a thing people say, if she hasn't heard it she probably won't say it?
If you want her to say it, role play with toys, "i love you" then "i love you too" back.

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 03-May-14 21:37:18

DS isn't two yet, and tells me it a lot.

However, he also 'wuvs' the man next door, the electrician, the builder, random shop assistants, the barber...everyone really. So I'm not sure it really means much!

ikeaismylocal Sat 03-May-14 21:38:07

Ds is 16 months and he says "I lur luuu" before he goes to bed, I think he is just copying me as I have said it to him every night after his bath, he now kisses me and says "I lur luuu" before I say it to him, I then say "I love you too!" and he looks very pleased with himself.

MajesticWhine Sat 03-May-14 21:39:14

DD definitely said it at age 3. And I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have said it before she was 3.

rainbowfeet Sat 03-May-14 21:39:29

Ds is 2.3 & hasn't said it yet hmm after lots & lots of prompting... Really annoying as he repeats everything else I say even the odd swear word when I don't think he can hear me!!! wink

EugenesAxe Sat 03-May-14 21:39:33

DD has recently started to at 2 1/2 years. I think DS was similar, maybe slightly older. I think DD has just copied DS to an extent, although she is very affectionate.

Namelessonsie Sat 03-May-14 21:39:34

Yes she knows it's something people say, she hears me and DP say it to each other, and our parents! I also tell her dd2 loves her.

I don't want to force it but she's such hard work and I try so hard with her that it would be so great to have a little crumb back...

Changebagsandgladrags Sat 03-May-14 21:40:33

Three. I think they forced it into him at nursery...

Children tell you they love you?! confused

wink

I remember finding it really weird to say 'I love you' to anybody, including my parents grin - I am not the demonstrative type.

They all do it in their own time or not

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Sat 03-May-14 21:42:00

My DDs didn't say it to me for ages, I can't remember how old they were but they just didn't at that age. I don't know why! I tell them often that I love them.

treaclesoda Sat 03-May-14 21:42:25

DS recently said it for the first time, he is 2 and a half. Previously, his response to 'I love you' was 'yes, you love me!'

EatShitDerek Sat 03-May-14 21:42:57

Mime says it before telling me he wants something ir has done something. He is 4.5

Namelessonsie Sat 03-May-14 21:43:23

Ha yes she's not demonstrative or naturally affectionate, but quite happy to talk robots, rockets, planes etc... In fact she's extremely good at answering the question she wants to answer rather than the one you asked. Reminds me of some management types!

hippo123 Sat 03-May-14 21:43:46

Dd just turned 4, ds 6. It must have taken them a while to realise.

Namelessonsie Sat 03-May-14 21:44:58

Ok feeling a bit better about it now!

NearTheWindymill Sat 03-May-14 21:48:08

I don't know - we all tell each other a lot. My mother wasn't very demonstrative with me and when I was about 43 and on the phone and getting bored and thinking about DH or the children I said rather matter of factly "love you" and she cried down the phone because I'd never said that to her before. She still hasn't to me but it was a bit of an epiphany because I wouldn't have thought she had ever cared. Goodness that sounds awful.

Armi Sat 03-May-14 21:48:09

I trained mine to say it initially to cheer me up! She's two and three quarters and has been saying it for a while. Now she says it spontaneously, complete with enormous hugs and wet kisses. Or she'll suddenly announce,'I LOVE my mummy!' from the backseat of the car. It's lovely.

I have turned into a sap.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sat 03-May-14 21:48:14

DS: Teddy loves dinosaur.
Me: Does he? I love YOU. Who do you love?
DS: Unnnh....
Me: You love NANA.... and CRISPS.... and TEDDY..... and I love YOU!
DS: <Silent>
Me: Do you love me?
DS: I love DADDY!

Smartiepants79 Sat 03-May-14 21:48:30

Somewhere around 3. Could have been a bit before. She is 3.8 now.
She says it mostly in response to me saying it. She does sometimes say it spontaneously.
I'm not entirely convinced that she truly understands what it means. It's just something she knows you say.
Is she affectionate in other ways? Does she hug and kiss you? I would place much more value on that. As I said I don't think my Dd knows what I love you means. It's just words to her. Words that she has learned appropriate times to use.

Rommell Sat 03-May-14 21:50:03

Ds was two. It was a truly lovely moment. I mean, you don't love them in order to get love back - you just love them because. But when they say it and give it back to you... well, that's pretty fucking special.

Namelessonsie Sat 03-May-14 21:50:42

No she doesn't hug or kiss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now