Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How do you divide up cooking in your house?

(21 Posts)
Annunziata Sat 03-May-14 21:29:36

I am getting all confused trying to work out.

I have 7 dc, but only 6 are going to cook, and they are all working and studying and have other plans all the time confused

Do you have a monthly rota? How often do your DC cook a week?

I do 99% of the cooking, but I'm teaching the DCs. Once they are more competent, I plan on getting both of them to cook at least once per week, each.

I wouldn't trust DP to cook, but he does other stuff so I'm not bothered.

EatShitDerek Sat 03-May-14 21:32:51

My son pours cereal. That is all he will do. He will bring me a drink if I ask but I don't often. In my opinion he is lazy but he thinks at 4.5 he is too young hmm

Annunziata Sat 03-May-14 21:35:34

I think my DS1 is too young at 24.5 grin

Anyway. I thought about once a week each but then I won't ever be able to cook and I really love cooking, so that doesn't work.

CorusKate Sat 03-May-14 21:36:09

DP cooks, we both eat.

TittyNotSusan Sat 03-May-14 21:38:54

DD (12) cooks every night she is here and not at an after school activity. And she refuses to cook things that are already in packets because that's "boring".

Now if you want to talk about who cleans the kitchen, that's a different story!

ManWithNoName Sat 03-May-14 21:39:01

I do 99% of the cooking. I always have. I like it.

DW says she always wanted a housekeeper.

RhondaJean Sat 03-May-14 21:40:36

Would it work with you doing Monday to Friday cooking and they have a rota at weekends?

So they would all cook once a month roughly.

Annunziata Sat 03-May-14 21:43:46

No, 2, 3, 4 and 5 all work weekend nights, and Sunday we do a big family dinner.

I would happily cook all the time! But they need to learn.

RhondaJean Sat 03-May-14 22:05:31

Rota for Monday/ Wednesday/ Friday then?

Annunziata Sat 03-May-14 22:12:18

I think so... if there are 3 days a week and there are 6 of them, then they cook twice a month! That's good, isn't it? And I can swap them if they need to work or go somewhere!

Thanks grin how are you keeping? Pleased with today?

NearTheWindymill Sat 03-May-14 22:15:35

I cook. The kitchen is mine. I have, however, taught the DC what to do and they are very good at fry ups and lunch. They can do:

Omolettes
Spag Bol
Steak
Risotto
Oven chips
Sausages
Bean and other things in tins
Soup and cheese on toast

They know the basics.

RhondaJean Sat 03-May-14 22:23:13

I think that might work grin

I am good thanks. Nice result for us today, I'm a bit disappointed though because I've been willing Liverpool on and after last weekend I was really hoping everton could take a point from man city today but never mind.

I have wine and cheese...how are you??

zzzzz Sat 03-May-14 22:25:53

I cook, they load dishwasher/clear.

I like cooking.

BackforGood Sat 03-May-14 22:43:08

Mine do minimum of once a week each, but I've only got 3, and personally don't like cooking. To me, 7 sounds ideal - once a week each and never my turn smile

ShoeWhore Sat 03-May-14 22:47:20

Could you pair them up and give each pair a might of the week? Up to them whether they cook together or take turns. Cleaning up after yourself has to be part of the deal too!

Annunziata Sat 03-May-14 23:04:06

Oh wine and cheese, lovely, I have ribena grin

I love cooking too much, I'd be so sad if I couldn't cook any more!

I think they would get up to more trouble in pairs shock I am trying to train them into good husbands so I want them to be able to do it themselves!

Thank you though flowers

foxdongle Sat 03-May-14 23:56:29

I do 80% of it, because I love it and have more free time than everyone else.
dcs do their own breakfast daily, tea at least once a week, baking with me (sometimes dd does it on her own) every couple of weeks and lunchboxes if they having them. they also help setting/clearing/cleaning table.

zzzzz Sat 03-May-14 23:59:08

Teach them to cook one fantastic meal each, but frankly I think your DILs would probably thank you more for laundry and hoovering skills wink

craftysewer Sun 04-May-14 04:28:11

DH does it all and has done ever since we got married 24 years ago.

craftysewer Sun 04-May-14 04:29:28

I have cooked him about 3 or 4 meals and he criticised/moaned about them so I refused to cook anymore! He has taught all three daughters to cook as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now