Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

If your children dress peculiarly or look a bit minging would you tell them?

(56 Posts)
AtYourCervix Sat 03-May-14 20:24:00

Teenager children.

Not in a quirky 'i have my own style and am cool in a geeky kind of way'.

More of a 'you've missed and you look shocking and people will laugh'.

Would you say 'ffs DD/S you look a fright go and change/shave/wash your hair'?
Or let them get on with it and let them get sneered at by bad people like me?

BoJolly Sat 03-May-14 20:27:38

I will tell them to go wash if they smell.

Other than that, I wouldn't say anything. That could possibly be because I often look a fright though.

AtYourCervix Sat 03-May-14 20:28:59

Not your average normal teenager fright. Really bad.

Parsnipcake Sat 03-May-14 20:30:22

It depends on the teen. Some would take it better than others. If they like the look, they will appear confident and get away with it probably!

BoJolly Sat 03-May-14 20:30:32

I am trying to imagine things worse than normal teenager fright.

Could you give an example?

EatShitDerek Sat 03-May-14 20:31:19

Mum has a 12 and 14 year old teens. She tells them if they look a twat or stink. She was the same with me --still is--grin

I also tell them

AtYourCervix Sat 03-May-14 20:31:48

I'm crap. I'm all 'oh be an individual. Dye your hair. Get pierced. Wear purple.'

But then I get all shock by someone else and wonder why on earth the parent hasn't pointed out the child looks minging.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sat 03-May-14 20:33:32

Judging by the family photo albums I often looked a total state and I wish someone had said something. However I would have taken it VERY badly.

PrincessBabyCat Sat 03-May-14 20:34:11

Hygiene, I'd always tell. I tell my husband to take a damn shower some days There's no excuse for being smelly or unkempt.

If it's clothes though... They'll figure it out on their own. I wore all sorts of stupid stuff as a teen and didn't get laughed at. If it bugs them to get laughed at and they do, they'll stop. Otherwise, just let them get it out of their system before they have to apply for jobs and have boring outfits and haircuts like the rest of us. wink

BoJolly Sat 03-May-14 20:34:39

I have to be honest. My DSs are fairly boring conservative and never took to the shat-in-the-pants look.
I think I might have had to say something if they had.

thornrose Sat 03-May-14 20:35:26

If I see a child/teen that looks bad I might cringe a bit inside or feel sorry that other people their own age might take the piss but as an adult I don't have it in me to sneer at a teenager.

AtYourCervix Sat 03-May-14 20:35:31

If the DDs look greasy i'll tell them.

Or slutty. Or just peculiar combination (twinset and leggings).

AtYourCervix Sat 03-May-14 20:36:46

I think if they were boys i couldn't tolerate the jeans around the knees look.

BoJolly Sat 03-May-14 20:37:37

Twinset and leggings makes a change from twinset & pearls.

<imagines very interesting W.I. meetings>

AtYourCervix Sat 03-May-14 20:38:00

Sner isn't the word.. No. Wrong word sorry.

But a 'what the actual feck were you thinking'?

AtYourCervix Sat 03-May-14 20:38:45

See through leggings.

I'd tell them bluntly.

BoJolly Sat 03-May-14 20:39:26

We used to worry about VPL

<wistful>

AtYourCervix Sat 03-May-14 20:39:31

Whispy moustache...

'Get and shave your face now'

5madthings Sat 03-May-14 20:39:50

My ds1 has no dress sense whatsoever and he just doesn't care, I actually wondered if he was colour blind he was that bad at co coordinating clothes, camo trousers and a check shirt.. And yes I will tell him if things dont match etc.

OHforDUCKScake Sat 03-May-14 20:43:17

Speaking as someone who dresses very scruffily (is that a word?) I judge no one on how they dress.

However, if one of my boys was to be smelly or visibly unclean I would mention it. Otherwise, unless they were young and at risk of being bullied, Id not mention it.

thornrose Sat 03-May-14 20:44:42

Aha, 'what the fuck were you thinking' I get grin (really sorry, bogged down with goady threads, temporary sense of humour failure)

It's a bloody tough call. I'll call dd up on cleanliness and absolute wrongness. It's such a bloody fine line!

LifeHuh Sat 03-May-14 20:45:20

Cleanliness yes- and I do comment (nag!!) in RL. Clothes, no , not unless asked.
I would say something about unsuitable interview clothes though.

BoJolly Sat 03-May-14 20:46:17

My mum doesn't like me wearing Dr Martens. She buys me old lady slippers at christmas.

HecatePropylaea Sat 03-May-14 20:46:35

If they smell or are dirty then I think we have an obligation to throw them in a shower and scrub them grin

but if they just want to go out looking stupid, well, <shrug> when I consider how ridiculous I used to look as a teen and probably half of you lot did too grin I think we'd do well to keep our gobs shut

Xihha Sat 03-May-14 20:51:55

I go with the 'dont you think that top would look better with those trousers?' approach with my teen sister and when teen brother went through the showing his bum stage I used to walk up behind him and pull his trousers up, unfortunately mum cottoned into this and now leaves me to tell them for her as they take it better from me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now