Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How much am I likely to be fined for this offence? :-(

(62 Posts)
ellawithaspecialnose Sat 03-May-14 12:45:46

Does anyone know? I scraped another car in a supermarket car park, got out to have a look, couldn't see any damage (it was dark, though), so didn't leave my details. If I'd thought there had been damage I totally would have. So I had police coming to my door a couple of weeks later to charge me. sad blush I know it was stupid. Anyone had this experience?

OhGoveUckYourself Sat 03-May-14 12:47:29

What have you been charged with? Fail to stop or fail to report accident?

SavoyCabbage Sat 03-May-14 12:49:19

Hmmm. Did you tell the police you looked? I am presuming you mean you looked at the other car and saw no damage, rather than your own.

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-May-14 12:52:55

YY what have you been charged with? Have you got to go to court?

ellawithaspecialnose Sat 03-May-14 12:53:37

Both, Gove sad . And I did tell them I didn't see damage but it was dark ...

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-May-14 12:55:06

How did they find you?

Normalisavariantofcrazy Sat 03-May-14 12:55:10

Failure to report an accident, not sure if there is a fine involved but make sure you tell them exactly what happened and what actions you took

ellawithaspecialnose Sat 03-May-14 12:57:39

A witness took down my reg, Sparkling. I've been given a date to go to court but can plead guilty by letter instead.

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-May-14 13:01:27

Would it be worth posting a link to this in the 'Legal Matters' topic? Obviously pleading guilty by letter and avoiding court is preferable.

AreYouFeelingLucky Sat 03-May-14 13:01:46

It doesn't matter if you saw damage or not if you scraped their car. It's not very believable that you could do that and there be no damage at all.

Regardless, you'll probably be looking at points and a fine. The level of the fine will depend on whether you are found guilty of one or both counts, and whether you have any believable mitigation.

OhGoveUckYourself Sat 03-May-14 13:06:38

Without going into every detail you will probably get a fine based upon 100% of your weekly income and you will get points put on your licence as well (probably 5 or 6 according to the Sentencing Guidelines) .There will be a victims surcharge of probably �20 and prosecution costs These are endorsable offences so it will show on your driving licence and you must notify your insurer.
If you stopped and got out and looked at the other vehicle for damage then you are not guilty of the' fail to stop' offence and should only plead guilty to the fail to report and use the fact that you stopped and couldn't see any damage as mitigation. You will have to attend court if you want to plead not guilty and a date will be set for a trial.

ellawithaspecialnose Sat 03-May-14 14:59:22

Thanks all, this is helpful. Bugger.

Gove, I was a bit unclear upthread and have double checked the charges, they are: 1) failure to stop *and give your name and address*; 2) failure to report accident at a police station or to a police officer; 3) driving without due care and attention.

Three charges, bloody hell. sad Idiot. Thanks for the tip about mitigation though, Gove.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 03-May-14 15:03:26

I thought supermarket car park were private property and the law of the road didnt apply so any scrape were and insurance only issue- not police. confused

Wantsunshine Sat 03-May-14 15:04:48

This really surprises me. I had this happen to me twice and the people drove off. Both time witnesses took down licence plate. They police sent the people a letter, they replied said it wasn't them and so police said they couldn't take it any further. One was a doctor at my GP practice! Lying bastard! Not you the Doc.
You should have said it wasn't you! At least you were honest.

Is it possible that you left your name and address but the wind blew it away?

nope, forget that, I am not encouraging lying blush

plus2new Sat 03-May-14 15:10:16

Is there proof that your car caused the damage? A few years ago I was very surprised to find a note on my car asking me to ring the police station. When I rang I was told that I had been reported for causing damage to a parked car in the car park I use for work.

I was absolutely certain I had not caused the damage (new driver at the time, very cautious, always parked in empty part of car park) and I was asked to bring my car to be checked.

The officer knew once he checked my car that I hadn't done it. I had some old damage to my car done when I scraped my gate at home as a learner.

What had happened was that someone had their car damaged by someone who left the scene so they looked around the car park and reported me because I had damage to my car.

I was in court this week for driving without due care and attention, I pleaded guilty and got 3 points and £100 fine, payable at £10 a fortnight.

ellawithaspecialnose Sat 03-May-14 15:14:07

Really, SillyBilly??

Sunshine that stinks! So the witness who took down thenumberplate was being called a liar?! shock

I couldn't lie, Moomin, but most of it was caught on CCTV anyway. Not the impact, but me driving a few spaces down and parking, then getting out and going to look at the other car. (And the witness reported I'd done that too.) One thing I find unbelievable in the charge is that the car owner apparently came back to his car and 'immediately noticed the damage'. I simply don't believe this - I had peered at his bumper and not noticed a thing, so the only way he could have is if the witness had come over to tell him to look - which isn't what it says. Still, a fair cop, I know.

So you all think a week's pay and points then? sad

ellawithaspecialnose Sat 03-May-14 15:16:18

Netto why did you actually go to court if you pled guilty? Could you not have done it in writing? The court I've been asked to go to is 20 miles away, despite my house and the supermarket being about 3 miles apart! I would have work and childcare probs if I attended court that day, too.

MelonKim Sat 03-May-14 15:16:34

gah - plead guilty
They take your income into account so fill in the form they post you

MelonKim Sat 03-May-14 15:16:47

you can plead guilty by post. yes

ellawithaspecialnose Sat 03-May-14 15:17:25

Yep, I intend to plead guilty.

MelonKim Sat 03-May-14 15:18:19

yup weeks pay minus a third and 5-6 points

they will only do you for the bigger of the two offences probably

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 03-May-14 15:19:02

Im not 100% sure but i know there is something about supermarket car parks and the driving laws not being applicable. Research it before you decide what to do.

Raskova Sat 03-May-14 15:20:43

Surely you can't be expected to call the police every time you bump someone's car. If never even have thought to. Especially if I thought I'd caused no damage.

It may be cheaper to pay for the damage. Ask if you still can. 3/6 points will make your insurance premium go up, if it still works that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now