Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

The strangest thing you've ever seen in someone else's house?

(249 Posts)
IsChippyMintonExDirectory Fri 02-May-14 20:46:04

DH and I were driving past some houses today and it reminded me of a guy I once went on a few dates with who used to live in one of them.

It was his parents house, and the first (and last) time I went over I used the downstairs loo, and the walls in the toilet were head to toe with family photos! It was the most bizarre thing, why would you wanna see a picture of your nan while you were having a wee? The strangest thing was it wasn't just a few pictures, it was like a wallpaper of pictures. The same people over and over again on holidays, posed portrait pictures, school pictures etc

He didn't mention it when I came out or tell me not to go in, so it can't have been a weird photo room that just happened to have a toilet and a sink in it.

Needless to say that was the last time I saw him it just freaked me out too much.

Has anyone seen anything that weird in someone else's house?

Dh viewed a flat, where the floor, walls, ceiling - even the side of the bath - were all carpeted in deep purple carpet! He didn't buy the flat. grin

IsChippyMintonExDirectory Fri 02-May-14 20:50:14

Ooh maybe they were related to these people

My great uncle had a stuffed two headed lamb in his living room.shock

Apparently it was born on his farm.

Used to terrify me and my cousins as kids

Wishyouwould Fri 02-May-14 21:01:36

A life-size cardboard cut of of Elvis Presley. In the corner of the living room between the sofa and the chair. No explanation given. Walked past the house several times over the last couple of years and it's obviously part of the décor!

castlesintheair Fri 02-May-14 21:04:12

A (rather large to my 5 year old self) pet alligator in the bath.

Meglet Fri 02-May-14 21:04:40

We have a 6ft cardboard skeleton called Fred hanging from the corner of the living room.

He had a break in the loft when the kids were pre-schoolers but he's joined the family again now smile. The thing is I totally forget it's a bit unusual so I take a moment to realise why people are giving him a funny look. For the record I am not in the least bit gothic, whole house is white / neutral with laminate floors.

Nancery Fri 02-May-14 21:06:51

OP I don't think that's that weird tbh!

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 02-May-14 21:09:14

I have posted this before: we went to a dinner party in a private home years ago and there was a full size men's urinal attached to the wall of the bathroom.

Nancery Fri 02-May-14 21:09:26

It's better than having pics stuffed in boxes (some photographs never make it into albums after all) and it gives you something to look at while you're on the loo! I'm not sure if Id do this myself but I doubt she don't think it's that board

LettertoHerms Fri 02-May-14 21:10:21

I knew a woman, worked for my dad's company, who collected toys from fast food restaurant kids' meals. Her entire house was decorated with her collection, particularly the kitchen.

I was a child at the time, and even I found it immature and creepy. She used to take me out to lunch in exchange for me giving her the toy! And she would make me ask the poor employees to go digging through the boxes for particular toys from the line rather than the random one they would throw in.

Nancery Fri 02-May-14 21:10:26

Full size urinal? Gosh! Maybe there was a lot of communal weeing in their house!

PirateJones Fri 02-May-14 21:11:18

A disembodied waxwork head.

havenever Fri 02-May-14 21:15:51

I don't think the photos in the toilet is weird confused

Nancery Fri 02-May-14 21:18:59

Glad it's not just me havenever!

Ohbyethen Fri 02-May-14 21:19:56

The glamour shots over the fireplace and all around the room.
It was a friend of my mother's and she was a single mum so it was just her and her young sons in the house - only mentioned because I know of one weird husband who decided to hang his wife's nude on the wall to appreciate. In the dining room - so she would have playgroup mum's and any and all visitors sitting in a room where they were surrounded by her naked arse, tits out and in pride of place a naked picture taken from the gynecologist's angle.

I found it very strange. Not least because she paid a lot for this 'professional' shoot but she was just 5ft tall and draped in a floaty nightie for someone about a foot taller so when she was in clothes she looked like she had stolen her mum's things. Very unflattering too.
I mean I like my vagina as much as the next but even though it's quite a pretty one I don't want to be eye to snatch with my vulva over dinner.

AlwaysOneMissing Fri 02-May-14 21:24:47

I dont think photos in the toilet is weird either - I thought it was a 'thing' to personalise a downstairs cloakroom with photos/memorabilia/ etc as it's something interesting to look at whilst using the loo but you don't have to look at it all the time like you would in another room.

I don't have anything like this in my downstairs loo, but I would actually quite like this if I was a guest in someone's home!

MamaMary Fri 02-May-14 21:24:59

A large rifle mounted on a stand prominently placed in a windowsill. I saw it from the outside.

MamaMary Fri 02-May-14 21:25:52

Yeah, I've been in homes with family pics in the downstairs loo. Wouldn't do it myself.

deerkitty Fri 02-May-14 21:26:27

You win hands down ohbyethen

IsChippyMintonExDirectory Fri 02-May-14 21:28:41

I think it was the amount of them that freaked me out there wasn't a square inch of wallpaper to be seen. And there weren't many in other areas of the house. I just couldn't look at pictures of my brother or my mum and the like while I was having a poo.

aziraphale Fri 02-May-14 21:38:56

My neighbour has a big fake lizard on her shed roof. I think it's great but the other day it fell off and was sitting on the lawn and scared the living shite out of me.

Ohbyethen Fri 02-May-14 21:41:29

Family pictures in the loo? Possibly my own but I would struggle to have a poo or change my mooncup fixed in the gaze of someone else's great aunt Mary!

I'm sure I've read weirder than mine here before but I live among the odd a neighbour of my grandmother has a conservatory style upvc porch and on display is a full woodland scene of badly taxidermied animals.

Why would you have a urinal? Toilets really aren't that tricky to use.

Someone I know has a bathroom like that. It have me something to look at to he honest.

My brother moved into a house with red hand prints all over the kitchen ceiling. Someone had dipped their hand into a pot of paint and thought it would be a nice way to decorate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now