Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

People and the mispronunciation of things (lighthearted!)

(375 Posts)
TractorTedMum Thu 01-May-14 13:01:43

I love my big sister, she's beyond bonkers with half the things she says. Here's a few nuggets.

If she was saying someone got upset about something rather than they having a 'coronary' she'd say they had a 'cornea', yes that thing in your eye!

If she talking about the actor David Jason aka Del Boy she always calls him David Jansen. Now she's the oldest and David 'The Kid' Jansen the dj fella was knocking around when she was a teenager so she should know the difference.

Our SIL, always mixes up Tweety Pie and calls it 'Twitty Bird'. Jasper Conran who has lovely stuff in Debenhams is now known as Jasper Carrott, the comedian.

All that used to make me stabby, now I just laugh at my family and extended families ability to ignore when they're told whats the right name! Plus we're all using the wrong names now as its a running joke.

notsosqueakyclean Sat 10-May-14 09:05:57

Also dh is a vet- someone once brought a cat in asking if they should be feeding it more because they thought it was 'emancipated'!!

notsosqueakyclean Sat 10-May-14 09:02:58

Ah, but that can be a regional accent thing- I say 'rath' for wrath cos I'm from norn iron Slumberparty, just as I say bath and not 'barth' like my english husband! [Wink]

HemlockStarglimmer Fri 09-May-14 20:58:51

Talking about breeds of dogs the other day, DD came out with Spanner Cockule.

sandy1969 Fri 09-May-14 20:10:08

My Dad wanted to know how to join Linkee Din. Took me a while to figure out he meant the site "Linked In" but the emails came from Linkedin. I now prefer to call it LinkeeDin.

MademoiselleG Fri 09-May-14 17:54:50

My friend forever tells us to help ourselves to the basmati vinegar for the salad dressing...I've always wondered where on earth she gets it!

HypodeemicNerdle Wed 07-May-14 23:37:58

DD has decided that very big things are 'hughnormous' grin

Optimist1 Wed 07-May-14 23:18:47

Loving the "kangaroos and wobblies", Buffie ! smile

BoffinMum Wed 07-May-14 19:33:12

Then there was the OU summer school I was teaching at where I sent them off to do a bit of research on some extracts, and come back and present. We regrouped, and then I made the announcement, "I hope you all got something out of your passages".
Much laughter, and it featured in the Thursday night review. grin

BoffinMum Wed 07-May-14 19:31:20

I used to think there was a Radio 4 programme entitled "Cross Incontinence".

"Crossing Continents", obv.

BoffinMum Wed 07-May-14 19:29:38

Those paninis remind me of another one.

My university lecturer mate at an elite university, probably one of the highest educated, cleverest people in the UK uttered this gem:

"They have refurbished xxxx cafe so well, and redone the menus. You can get punanis in there and everything."

grin I hope not gringrin

MerryInthechelseahotel Wed 07-May-14 14:33:00

I fostered a little boy who kept crying for a balloon but said over and over "I want my abloon" he was so sweet!

purplemeggie Tue 06-May-14 20:27:34

Hmm. Except, according to the Oracle at Wikipedia, it was originally named supercrema and was renamed for the rest of the European market. I'm sticking to Nutt-ella! (But a panino-full does sound good).

An Italian friend of mine gets very upset about the British saying Lar-tay instead of Lattay....

NutellaLawson Tue 06-May-14 17:52:34

well you say that, purple, but it's an Italian invention (ferrero) who would, presumably, pronounce it nootella (to have in your panino, maybe).

purplemeggie Tue 06-May-14 16:55:28

Of course nutt-ella. It's not made of noots, is it? Or newts, for that matter.....

dd might get lost in an 'amaze' and her favourite Australian animals are kangaroos and 'wobblies'

grin

LouSend Mon 05-May-14 13:45:53

Ah. Makes sense. Thank you.

Thumbwitch Mon 05-May-14 13:18:03

Not an actual biology degree, LouSend, but I did work in hospital labs and usually pronounce it enkephalitis anyway. Although ensephalitis is just as correct, I believe - with a hard c it is derived from the Greek (kephalikos), but the soft c derives from Latin (cephalicus), and thence from French (cephalique, where it would definitely be a soft c).

LouSend Mon 05-May-14 13:09:44

Ooh, Thumb, as you have a biology degree may I ask if encephalitis is pronounced en-seff-el-eyetis or en-keff-el-eyetis, please? Not that it's a word I use regularly, but it's one I'm reluctant to pronounce.

Nutt-Ella is a great name for a girl. Yuwneek and sweet.

Thumbwitch Mon 05-May-14 12:57:52

Nutt-ella here as well.

Ha. That last one has, bizarrely, reminded me of one of my biggest bugbears, which started in my teens when I was doing biology, and the biology teacher pronounced "cervical" as cerviacal (cer-vie-a-cal). It pissed me off then, and it's pissed me off ever since as this now seems to be standard pronunciation for it and I can see NO fucking reason for it. Cervix, not cerviax - cer-vic-al, not cerviacal. [grump]

FaceDirectionOfTravel Mon 05-May-14 12:44:03

It winds me up when people pronounce nuclear 'nuke-u-lar'.

No.

It is 'nuke-lee-ar'. Like the spelling?

ZingWatermelon Mon 05-May-14 12:40:51

more kids' ones

lettuce spray (Let us pray)
Pontius the Pilot
most highly "flavoured" lady (favoured)

and my favourite:
we were singing "Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna to Prince of Peace" and my niece got really excited and burst out:
"You were singing me!"

her name is Anna

grin

ZingWatermelon Mon 05-May-14 12:36:32

Hungarians say Nootella.
I've got a British passport now so sod them all - it's Nut Ella for me.
grin

that'd be a great girl's name.

<presents idea to DH>

MerryInthechelseahotel Mon 05-May-14 12:29:23

Thanks for clearing that up Nutella

Definitely Nutt ella here....never heard of noo tella crazy way to say it grin

NutellaLawson Mon 05-May-14 12:02:50

speaking of which, how do you say it? Noo-tella or Nutt-ella?

I say the former but I can see the logic of the latter.

Thumbwitch Mon 05-May-14 07:53:34

Oh no Zing! Nothing worse than wanting something and not having any in...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now