Why don't pop stars bring out proper Christmas songs anymore?

(30 Posts)
spookyskeleton Sun 01-Dec-13 18:01:59

it is such a money spinner if you get a really catchy one I would have thought more would do it. I am not counting songs that just happen to have been released at Christmas time but not Christmas related.

Last decent one that I can think of is Mariah Carey and that was released years ago!!

chipsandpeas Sun 01-Dec-13 18:03:04

i think they may see it as pointless as theres a 99% chance that the xmas no 1 will be a xfactor winner

spookyskeleton Sun 01-Dec-13 18:07:37

But if the song was really good enough it wouldn't matter if it didn't get to number 1, it would be played every year a la Shaking Stevens/Slade etc so would make far more money in the end.

Tubemole1 Sun 01-Dec-13 18:13:13

The Killers have a go each year.

AuntieStella Sun 01-Dec-13 18:16:58

I read somewhere that Noddy Holder was asked if he ever got annoyed by hearing "Here it is, Merry Christmas" all over the place for months: he replied "No - it's my pension"

I don't think today's acts are as good at pop anyhow, and don't take themselves lightly enough.

kelda Sun 01-Dec-13 18:29:54

What about Smith and Burrows? That was only a couple of years ago.

spookyskeleton Sun 01-Dec-13 19:24:31

Smith and Burrows?? Never even heard of that so not sure that would count as a classic that will be played every year hmm

CloverkissSparklecheeks Sun 01-Dec-13 20:10:35

I think it is a shame that Christmas number 1 is not really a Christmas song anymore. I love a good christmas song - Shaky is my favourite tchgrin

They seem to add a few festive sounding bells in random songs released near xmas now, I think the new 1D is trying to be christmassy!

MimieD Sun 01-Dec-13 20:17:39

Bellowhead released a Christmas single today, profits go to help people hit by the disaster in the Philippines, proper Christmas goodwill tchsmile

chanie44 Sun 01-Dec-13 20:23:17

I was thinking the same thing OP. Well, slightly different, in that I was thinking about releasing my own Christmas song and live off the royalties for the rest of my life.

mistermakersgloopyglue Sun 01-Dec-13 21:08:53

Leona Lewis has got one out called 'One More Sleep' - its pretty shite (the opening lyrics really are 'Snow is falling all around us, My baby's coming home for Christmas' hmm ) but could go down the 'All I Want For Christmas' Mariah route!

mistermakersgloopyglue Sun 01-Dec-13 21:09:40

Leona Lewis has got one out called 'One More Sleep' - its pretty shite (the opening lyrics really are 'Snow is falling all around us, My baby's coming home for Christmas' hmm ) but could go down the 'All I Want For Christmas' Mariah route!

mistermakersgloopyglue Sun 01-Dec-13 21:11:06

So shite I said it twice!

The Darkness did that 'Don't Let the Bells End' one fairly recently and that has done quite well.

Well I have to say after The Pogues and Kirsty McColl Fairytale of New York there's no point in anyone else else trying to release a Christmas record, because they pale into insignificance tchwink

spookyskeleton Sun 01-Dec-13 22:00:36

Clover Shaky is my fave too - I absolutely love it grin

Am fairly sure Gary Barlow could come up with something if he put his mind to it so there must be a reason why it doesn't happen.

I think Slade hit the nail on the head for why popstars should do it wink

MacaYoniandCheese Sun 01-Dec-13 22:08:46

Because it's naff?

GobbySadcase Sun 01-Dec-13 22:10:05

Because of Simon Cowell.

Fairytale of New York wasn't really popular until a few years after it was released though. Maybe Leona will be the same

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 01-Dec-13 22:16:39

Kelly Clarkson's just released a whole album of 'em. I heard one about being alone for Xmas today.

I think it's that the charts have changed - esp. in the UK. Now, most radio play happens way before release date - so a Xmas song would be all out of sync. And only certain MOR artists subvert this. So Kelly C, Buble etc can do Xmas albums or songs and people will buy them but younger artists cannot really.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 01-Dec-13 22:17:51

Barlow's Xmas song came too early look!!!!

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Sun 01-Dec-13 22:54:29

I like Leonas one,made me smile and bop along in the car!

But yep,I say it every year,people should be making proper Christmas songs!

spookyskeleton Sun 01-Dec-13 23:15:49

Hazel I was going to link to that when I typed my last post but didn't have time to find it grin tis a classic alright wink

Am sure he could do much better now!

Darkesteyes Mon 02-Dec-13 01:29:54

Hurts released one about 2 or 3 years back All i Want for Chrtistmas is New Years Day.

Mellowandfruitful Mon 02-Dec-13 01:59:29

Doesn't Jona Lewie basically live off the Stop the Cavalry royalties (as indeed he should!) ? Although his Ikea ads may now have enhanced his standard of living a bit. tchsmile

I think it has gone more in the direction of albums, like the music industry as a whole. Kim Wilde has one out that sounds really good tchsmile

crypes Mon 02-Dec-13 03:02:49

Has LittleMix re-edited their latest song to include the word Christmas a couple times? I heard it today on radio and thought I've never noticed it included a reference to Christmas.That was sneaky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now