Stocking fillers for DS's girlfriend - 21 year old American student

(38 Posts)
Lilymaid Mon 11-Nov-13 16:51:16

DS' very nice American girlfriend is likely to be staying with us for Christmas and I want to get her some stuff for a Christmas stocking. Obvious things include bath bombs, shower gels, lip salve etc. She will be going back to the US in the New Year so it would nice to include a few British products - provided they don't weigh too much!
Any ideas?

tweetytwat Mon 11-Nov-13 16:52:12

A nice jar of Branston Pickle grin

Sweeties

Aw what a lovely idea! I would put some sweets in (such as pear drops or rhubarb and custard etc) and definitely some chocolate.

Lilymaid Mon 11-Nov-13 17:04:43

Oh yes, real chocolate - in this case not British, but sure she must like a Lindt Reindeer!
Branston Pickle .... hmmm! Say she and DS get married one day ... I would be thought of as the MIL from hell!

Chocolate coins! I don't know if they are a British thing or not but Christmas isn't Christmas without them

Leeds2 Mon 11-Nov-13 17:33:02

Union jack key ring, or notebook. Loads of UJ stuff around at the moment.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Mon 11-Nov-13 17:35:02

A pack of Yorkshire T-bags smile

neolara Mon 11-Nov-13 17:36:23

Marmite

IreneR Mon 11-Nov-13 17:37:13

Sugar mice! I don't know what they are, but as an American myself, I've always been fascinated by the very mention of them, and I wish I could have some in my stocking. I think.

Nice pair of gloves from somewhere suitably English (Joules etc)

Something tartan

Lilymaid Mon 11-Nov-13 18:45:41

Union Jack stuff good (unless mnade in China). Also like idea of gloves or similar (wrist warmers?)
Chocolate coins a definite must have!
Sugar mice ... I've never eaten one, are they that British?

givemeaclue Mon 11-Nov-13 18:52:54

Is it just me thinks 21 is too old for a stocking

celestialsquirrels Mon 11-Nov-13 18:57:50

Nice nail polish
Choc
Good paperback
Love the sugar mouse idea
I wouldn't go too unionjacky but a couple of v English things might be nice

ProfondoRosso Mon 11-Nov-13 19:01:17

Lovely idea! Could you look on Etsy for some nice gloves/mittens made by a local maker? Nice local touch, and good to support self employed makers.

FriskyMare Mon 11-Nov-13 19:02:17

You are never too old for a stocking...they are the best bit grin

Selks Mon 11-Nov-13 19:03:54

Tesco - yes, Tesco - has got a fantastic range of really nice slipper socks and socks in at the moment at bargainous prices. Really nice. I've stocked up for stocking fillers. Big stores only, probably.

kiwidreamer Mon 11-Nov-13 19:05:10

A nice pen, Emma Bridgewater perhaps. Something Cath Kidston, maybe a compact mirror

Lilymaid Mon 11-Nov-13 19:38:50

"21 is too old for a stocking"
Not in our house - DSs still have them and they are in their 20s (and so do we). DH and I have great fun finding each other small and sometimes strange presents - there's always a strange kitchen implement, unusual chocolate, small book (e.g. Carol Ann Duffy poems).

Sugar mice are lovely, although I haven't seen one in a while. Our very traditional village shop used to have them in big glass jars behind the counter.

I don't think Enid Blyton is a childhood staple in the States, so how about a Mallory Towers paperback or similar? You're never too old for Enid Blyton.

dementedma Mon 11-Nov-13 21:07:37

no way 21 is too old for a stocking.we do one for mum and she is 78!

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Mon 11-Nov-13 21:09:24

Something Cath Kidston - maybe a little compact.mirror or similar?

scratchandsniff Mon 11-Nov-13 21:16:00

Try H&M for winter hats, scarves, gloves.
Earrings or bangle from somewhere like accesorize
Nail polish
Photoframe
Magazine
Cath kidston mug or similar
Cosmetics purse for handbag

LadyRochford Mon 11-Nov-13 21:23:48

A magazine. Maybe Hello (particularly if it has the Royals on the cover!) or Grazia or something. Or private eye/ Time/ BBC Good Food/ whatever her interest is.

An Agatha Christie book.

A sherbet dipper

A chocolate orange

A British Christmas classic, e.g. A Christmas Carol (Dickens) or A Child's Christmas in Wales (Dylan Thomas)

A travel size game, I like Pass the Pigs or Connect 4.

mrspremise Tue 12-Nov-13 08:30:15

Make sure you have some really good Christmas crackers! Nothing to do with the stocking, but they DON'T HAVE CRACKERS IN THE STATES! Madness... shock

beachyhead Tue 12-Nov-13 08:36:25

Union Jack knickers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now