Unusual stocking fillers that aren't plastic tat

(332 Posts)
ObtuseAngel Wed 16-Oct-13 13:05:41

The things that websites and shops tout as stocking fillers are usually nasty overpriced plastic toys that break straight away. What we need is a nice long list of things that will be cheap, useful and interesting. Obviously everyone already knows about patterned pencils and unusually shaped rubbers, but it would be good to have other stuff too.

I will contribute:

Plaque disclosing liquid/tablets. DS got a pack of these in a party bag last year and I thought WTF, but he and DD really loved using them.

Mini magnetic bookmarks, DS is a keen reader but gets very frustrated if his bookmark falls out and he looses his place so I bought him these and he loves them.

Therean92 Wed 18-Dec-13 23:54:21

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

wonderwooman Fri 29-Nov-13 09:35:37

Bea, I saw patterned tape in Lidl recently - with their Xmas bits

BeaWheesht Tue 26-Nov-13 10:30:16

Thanks dandelion might pop to poundworld later

dandelionsRflowers Tue 26-Nov-13 08:21:12

Bea Poundworld have patterned sticky tape. I bought some Minnie Mouse for dd, I can't remember what others they had but def a few different kinds. I think it's a dispenser and 2 or 3 rolls in the pack. Masking tape is a good idea though, easier for dd to cut less likely to damage the walls

3bunnies Tue 26-Nov-13 06:17:47

hogwash I actually need a new sleeping bag - wondering if fuelled by the onesie craze. Also Bea the nursery always uses masking tape. The adhesion isn't as great but it is easier to paint over. Is also easy to write on.

BeaWheesht Tue 26-Nov-13 00:02:57

Ooh I've had a brainwave - I wonder if they'd like masking tape? Easy to tear, can draw on it and it'll come off things easily like my entire house when dd is finished

BeaWheesht Mon 25-Nov-13 23:56:55

We don't have a water stones sad thanks though

fuzzpig Mon 25-Nov-13 23:55:45

I saw some in waterstones, Bea, but it was quite little.

BeaWheesht Mon 25-Nov-13 23:54:18

Anyone seen any nice but cheap patterned sticky tape? Ds and dd are both obsessed with the stuff and I got 2 teeny rolls from Tiger but they'll last a nanosecond. Ill need to get them a dispenser too as dd especially is too little to cut it.

Hogwash Mon 25-Nov-13 23:39:44
Hogwash Mon 25-Nov-13 23:35:22

Santa had a mix up last year and dropped a whole load of girl stuff by mistake, meant for the little girl over the road. It caused great hilarity and was worth the few extra pounds to see my Mum's face as DS insisted on wearing a pink bow through Christmas lunch just to pi&s everyone off grin.

Genieinalamp Mon 25-Nov-13 22:27:32

Some great ideas thanks! I'll add a balloon modelling kit & morse code toy.

Hogwash Mon 25-Nov-13 00:53:12

Brilliant thread. Will soon be proud owner of a box of Tickseed stuff, lego mini-figure ice cubes and finger lights!

I noticed a nice bug home making kit on Amazon too.

fuzzpig Sat 23-Nov-13 07:58:07

National Gallery shop has some really nice bits and pieces. Got a tiny wooden jigsaw of Van Gogh's sunflowers and a finger puppet for DD.

3bunnies Sat 23-Nov-13 07:50:28

Going to put hair tubans in for dd1&2 to stop that post swim drip!

BeCool Tue 19-Nov-13 13:25:54

flatmouse they might not be too old for them. My colleagues and I are all loving them and I wish I ordered more for the grownups too!

BeCool Tue 19-Nov-13 13:21:53

DD got a slushy cup for her birthday. It works and it is brilliant.

flatmouse Tue 19-Nov-13 13:14:38

Some fab ideas here. To add my miserable thoughts (miserable because i'm late and disorganised this year and struggling with ideas)....
Sports Direct have 6 in 1 Solar robot type thing for £4 - everywhere else seems to be selling them for £12. Got one for both DD and DS.
Thinking of a "car" usb mouse for DS (wired or wireless depending on price).
Slushy cup thing mentioned on here. Glow sticks always a must - think i may try the finger lights although they're prob too old for them but at 50p who cares? And liking the silly socks - want some converse ones for me!
(Sports direct also have loads of girly hair stuff - kirby grips, bobbles, donuts, grips, etc all at £1 so can get a nice selection for DD)

BeCool Tue 19-Nov-13 12:46:43

finger lights arrived today - hooray!!!

I notice they have three small batteries in each of them. I was last week quoted £10 to by 6 of the very same small batteries for a couple of toys we have. The finger lights were 50p for 4, inc postage and have 12 small batteries in them. The economics of it all is completely mind boggeling. (Needless to say I will smash open a couple of the finger-lights to pillage batteries for the other toys - just as well I brought 4 packs).

Anyway the finger lights are fantastic!!! I see Tiger are selling them for £3 and they look exactly the same.

BeCoolFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 21:46:59

I just brought some of the cute animal page markers - thanks 3bunnies

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 06-Nov-13 21:28:00

Never heard of tiger until I read this thread. Vans wallet and WWDC plasters both arrived today. Am very pleased, thanks for posting those whoever it was smile

3bunnies Wed 06-Nov-13 21:06:23

these post-it note bookmarks are simply too cute not to put in their stockings.

Retropear Tue 05-Nov-13 17:39:24

Not really a stocking filler but I just bought 2 metal cash boxes one in red and one in blue from HB today.They're lovely,got 2 keys and only £3.99. Go dd a Harry Potter plaster bust set for £1.99. They've got loads of Xmas DVDs in there.All 3 Wimpy Kids for £8.

fuzzpig Tue 05-Nov-13 16:20:03

We don't even have a tiger here. There is one where I grew up though so I'll be sending my mum for a couple of balloon-powered boats for the bath grin

BeCoolFucker Tue 05-Nov-13 16:13:57

OOh I just brought a Hexabug Aquabot (I think) from Hamleys last week.

The little bugs were really cool too but they would just get lost in a crevice somewhere at our place.

But I couldn't resist a fish. I think DD saw me buy it though so it can't come from Santa. Maybe it can be for me?

Do Hamleys deliver to UAE? Or I think the Science Museum stock them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now