The Christmas season begins when....

(51 Posts)

Greggs start selling festive bakes....

What about for you?

BullieMama Fri 18-Oct-13 22:31:29

Same as another poster, my birthday is in the first week of December so the tree has traditionally been decorated the closest Saturday to my birthday !

Chocolatestain Fri 18-Oct-13 11:11:09

John Lewis getting its Xmas decorations up. Always early in our local one. Apparently the same company does every store in the country and they always start with Bristol so we're always first (so I was told by one of the staff earlier this week). Oh, and Costa doing mince pies - usually the beginning of November, I think.

FarOverTheRainbow Tue 15-Oct-13 07:30:13

The coca cola advert comes on

lade you're doing it all wrong if your tree goes up in January!! :-)

ethelb Mon 14-Oct-13 20:23:59

John lewis ad

(Gawd Im posh)

lade Mon 14-Oct-13 01:25:45

When my youngest daughter has had her birthday (21st November).

Both DDs have their birthdays in November, so once that's done, we can focus on Christmas.

But it really starts when the tree / decorations go up on the first weekend in January.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 13-Oct-13 20:20:39

Depends on the shuffle of the program.... grin

Either that or 80's - Feed the World.

The other stomach knotting sobfest for me is Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Power of Love.

20 best Christmas tunes ever....

And what will Number one be?

Yes , the wonderfully non-festive but sooooooo Christmas-gets-you-right-in-the-guts Pogues. wink

Those opening bars (music not alcohol thank you)

HolgerDanske Sun 13-Oct-13 16:24:31

...I put the tree up on Dec 1st smile

(But really it begins in Sept when my head starts filling up with Christmas memories and nostalgia and ideas for themes and presents)

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 12-Oct-13 23:43:35

When VH1 or Magic start playing The same Christmas videos constantly in differing formats:

Noddy Holders top Christmas picks
Viewers favourite Christmas hits
20 best Christmas tunes ever....etc

I still have to watch the Wham video all the way through....and march round the house to Jonah Lewie. blush

As I don't live in the UK I had to buy all my Christmas crackers when I was over last week. And I have started on my cake. So I guess it's brewing now.

dementedma Sat 12-Oct-13 22:03:09

The Christmas Good Food magazine gets me in the mood.
Baking the Christmas cake at the end of October.

FernArable Sat 12-Oct-13 20:32:46

Coca Cola advert on the TV is the start for me to. 'Holidays are coming, holidays are coming!'
That's not to say I don't start planning/watching Christmas movies before then that's just when I start to get really excited!

TheYamiOfYawn Sat 12-Oct-13 20:28:13

Planning is all year round. Advent stuff on 1st December (calendar, candles, autumn decorations changed for wintery ones) and tree goes up on 21st December.

wonderingsoul Sat 12-Oct-13 18:32:15

day after thanksgiving. so a friday ill get the tree up, make sure i have all the decs etc than when the kids come home from school we slowly start decorating.. adding to it through out the weeks.,. :D

TheYamiOfYawn Sat 12-Oct-13 17:17:11

I bought DD a sausage roll in Greggs today. She decided that she was ravenously hungry as we were on our way to her ballet class after spending the morning at the theatre and library (I am establishing cultural credentials here) and Greggs was on the way to the ballet class. No louts outside, either, just hungry-looking shoppers.

DownstairsMixUp Sat 12-Oct-13 17:08:22

I love love love christmas! As soon as all the lights in town go up i feel like it's xmas smile

WantAnOrange Sat 12-Oct-13 17:01:56

Never ends really! I love Christmas....probably too much!

TheOnlyPink Sat 12-Oct-13 16:59:24

Christmas officially starts when Christmas fm comes on air, usually last week of November. Its a charity radio station here in Ireland that only plays Christmas music.

And if course every Irish person will agree, its officially Christmas when the toy show comes on!

BaconAndAvocado Sat 12-Oct-13 16:03:45

sad that's disappointing, I can't stand pasties.

I was hoping it was something sweet and naughty!

Back to the gingerbread lattes!

ringaringarosy Sat 12-Oct-13 15:00:25

Oh yeah panto!

I cant believe how many times greggs is mentioned on MN!

DO normal people really go in there?Im trying to think of a nice way to say this,but there isnt one,the one in my nearest town is just full of scumbags hanging around outside it smoking fags and god knows what else!Ive never been to a greggs!

OneUp Sat 12-Oct-13 12:01:42

A festive bake is those really nice pasties they make in November (I think) with turkey and stuffing inside. My DP says they're like Christmas in a pastie

BaconAndAvocado Sat 12-Oct-13 10:57:20

Ooh Christmas Radio Times.........enjoyed with a hot chocolate, mince pie smothered in cream and DCs in bed. Utter utter bliss smile

BaconAndAvocado Sat 12-Oct-13 10:55:59

Yes, indeed, wtf is a festive bake?

Can't remember the last time I was in Greggs but this may change!

Ooohhh gingerbread latte, now you're talking.

Boots, Tesco, Asda catalogues coming out.
Booking the panto.
Reading Nigella Christmas and planning lots of culinary delights that never ever come to fruition

WaitMonkey Sat 12-Oct-13 10:35:58

I'd also like to hear more about the festive bakes ? blush

Georgethesmartestgiant Sat 12-Oct-13 10:21:31

When the christmas Radio Times come out even though it's too expensive to buy now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now