How much do you spend on your DC?

(139 Posts)
NameChanger665 Wed 25-Sep-13 20:34:39

Just being nosy grin.

I went stupid crazy for my DDs first and second christmases and it kind of spoilt the day as there was just so much stuff.

I have reigned it in massively this year and DC1 has had about £300 (includes a big present) and DD2 has had about £200.

They are aged almost 4 and almost 2.

Is this about reasonable?

We don't have a budget for ds, but £200-£300 sounds perfectly reasonable.

Bluecarrot Wed 25-Sep-13 20:46:10

It depends. Can you afford that?

Personally, I think its a lot more than I have ever spent on my dd (now aged 10) but its just been what I could afford. The max has been around £150 including a bike one year, and a "year of fun stuff" another time (which was stuff she would prob be doing anyway...we just wrote it in a calender and she counted down the days to her horse riding lesson/ clay modelling workshop etc) Im pretty sure that with the exception of the bike and the events, she couldnt specify what she got from Santa/family/friends/me etc.

Look at the stuff they have already and decide if theres anything they NEED. Is a much loved and used toy on its last legs? Are they ready to move onto the next stage in books/jigsaws? What about fancy dress stuff being outgrown? Id start there while keeping a budget in mind, rather than spend until you hit the budget limit.

It might be smaller things - snowman soup (basically hot chocolate, marshmallows and choc chips wrapped up prettily), putting out reindeer food, making christmas cookies, going to see Santa etc that they will love the most.

ThreeMyselfAndI Wed 25-Sep-13 20:48:51

we spend £600/700 each on dds 1&2 their 8&10.
and £300/400 on dd3 who is 19 month's.

I think budget is all about what you can afford I would never get into debt for Christmas, we would spend less if we had to. I think your amount is fine.

chanie44 Wed 25-Sep-13 20:54:37

We work on the basis of getting the children things they want or need - although they are 3 and 1, so still very young. We are spending about £100 on ds, as that's the cost of the things we think he will enjoy.

Dd is 1 and has all of ds' toys to play with. We didn't get her a birthday present. However, we want to get her a playhouse for the garden next year, which will be a few hundred ££, so it will even itself out.

iloveholidays Wed 25-Sep-13 20:55:15

I reckon we'll end up spending about £150 on DD1, £120 on DD2 and £60 on DD3. All the presents get kind of shared out anyway and DD3 is only 13 months at Christmas so not really aware.

Kelly281 Wed 25-Sep-13 21:03:12

Well after putting everything already bought for DD in a spreadsheet today, I expect by the time I get everything I'll have spent approx £600. It's quite a big amount, but almost half of that was used to buy her main present.

I spend about £100 per child and dh still reckons they get too much!

Shinyshoes1 Wed 25-Sep-13 21:04:34

About £400 for the eldest two and around £200.00 for dd aged 5

Shinyshoes1 Wed 25-Sep-13 21:05:09

That's £400.00 each for the eldest 2

Should say by Christmas ours will be nearly 9, nearly 7 and 4.

kiriwawa Wed 25-Sep-13 21:19:33

Less than £100. Although I buy him stuff through the year though so the house is bloody groaning with toys and games

I don't know what I'd spend £600 on! What on earth do you buy them? confused

gallopinghorse Wed 25-Sep-13 21:24:01

Wow £600? Can I ask what you buy? If I spent that every year we wouldn't be able to move in our house cos it would be full of toys!

Marne Wed 25-Sep-13 21:24:15

I have always spent too much, well not spent too much but bought too much grin.

I think when they are tiny you can get a lot more for your money. My dd's are now 9 and 7 and its getting harder and more expensive, so far I have bought 3 lego sets (which were on offer) for dd2 which comes to £40, its only September and I know I will get carried away with dd2, dd1 is getting more tricky as she wants more expensive things then I feel guilty because dd2 will have a pile of presents and dd1 will have a few presents that cost twice as much as dd2's.

By the time I have finished I expect it will be around £200 each.

Marne Wed 25-Sep-13 21:26:28

Oh, and that £200 includes a few things that they need (pj's, dd2 wants some lelli Kelly's and some clothes).

Cluelessat30 Wed 25-Sep-13 21:27:30

I haven't set a budget this year- I'm expecting it to come in around £100-150.
I feel like both kids have enough toys, and will just be getting a few well chosen stocking toys, and one joint present -a kitchen- between 2 DD's (1&3).
However, our kids are the first grandchildren on both mine and DH's side of the family, so they aren't exactly going without!

elQuintoConyo Wed 25-Sep-13 21:33:52

DD will be 2 in December. So far we have spent £20 on birthday, £30 on Christmas. We won't buy any more for the birthday, but one or two things more for Christmas totalling perhaps £80-100.
No doubt DGPs and DGGM (great-grandma) will send money, so we'll get something else with that.

We're financially up shit creak, DD is in nursery half days so will have loads of toys to play with there, DD is still young so doesn't know what is going on... We are lucky enough to live in a warm climate, so going to the park/walking in the woods/going to the beach can be briliant for playing and learning, etc.

I hope I don't sound judgy? It isn't my intention; just trying to make myself feel better for buying one Weebles tree rather than Weebles+123 Noah's Ark+Ikea play kitchen+Duplo+1 year's swimming membership. How I wish!

susiedaisy Wed 25-Sep-13 21:35:39

Around £150 each. I have 2dc

LazyFaire Wed 25-Sep-13 21:38:56

DS is 2.10 at christmas and we will probably end up spending about 150-200, I spent £50 last week on the first few. Going to get him a balance bike though and that will be a fair whack of the budget!

sweetsomethings Wed 25-Sep-13 21:44:24

I spend about £600 on my DS.

kiriwawa Wed 25-Sep-13 21:48:56

What on, sweetsomethings? I really want to know! grin If I spent that kind of cash on DS, it'd take pretty much all day for him to open his presents

Dilidali Wed 25-Sep-13 21:51:00

St Nicholas: about £20 (sweets, books, yet another blimin stuffed toy)

Christmas eve:£15 (pyjamas, a book)
Christmas day: stocking (£10-15: notebook, pens, DVD, a little game, sweets) and under the tree about £50 worth of books, a particular game she wants.

From us she traditionally gets a Christmas dress (read party dress, usually TK Maxx, about £15).

So all in all about £100.

sweetsomethings Wed 25-Sep-13 21:52:29

£200 on a tablet
£100 on a bike
£50 on new skylanders
£100 on a few playmobil sets and the rest on board games, books, wii games, stocking fillers etc

sweetsomethings Wed 25-Sep-13 21:54:13

oh and some lego sets as well and that robotic puppy thing

ThreeMyselfAndI Wed 25-Sep-13 21:55:38

I find it easily done this year a Samsung galaxy tab, 3d dvd and dvds, 100% human hair extensions, case and keyboard for tablet, mp4 player, headphones, make up, perfume and other stuff it looks tiny tbh. we also buy them through out the year, we have a couple of big clear outs a year and they give away what they no longer want to keep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now