so its only....

(1001 Posts)
RabidCarrot Wed 26-Dec-12 10:10:42

364 days till Christmas grin

buzzgirly Wed 17-Jul-13 08:15:03

BiddyPop Wed 17-Jul-13 13:37:18

Fuzzpig, sorry to hear about your Gran flowers. It will be different but hopefully you can still make it nice for your parents (Maternal Gran's 1st anniversary is coming up this month, while this Christmas will be the first without my other Gran too - partly why I wanted to be "down home" this year).

We are back from Florida, which was great but exhausting! And I managed to get 2 decorations in Disney grin (2 different Christmas shops in Disney - 1 is a Disney dec and the other is a lovely German glass mushroom for luck), as well as a couple of bits for presents, including a couple of stocking stuffers for DD.

But we still haven't done the Siblings draw for KK in my family, so I couldn't get anything major. And I kinda bought a lot for my own wardrobe, so there wasn't a lot of suitcase space to spare blush.

But DH showed DD the skateboard he had been thinking of getting her to ask Santa for, and she likes it so he will sort that out.

I haven't done much else at all this year. I need to consider my list soon - as I think I will have to go back to getting something for all aunts and uncles (we had moved to only getting for your Godparent a couple of years ago and them for you only, but that was Grandad for me rather than an aunt/uncle for the other 5 siblings - now he's gone and Mammam too, I'm the only "Billy no mates" and I know I will get something from at least 1 aunt (sort of "Head of Household" role even though eldest is my Dad), but I think I am best off getting something small for them all). Or maybe just a hamper of homemade goodies that they can all share at the Christmas meal.

fuzzpig Wed 17-Jul-13 14:51:51

Thanks biddy thanks

I am intrigued by what Disney decoration/stocking fillers you got in Florida!

Funnily enough my dad suggested we all go to Disneyland Paris next year so I may find a few bits there for 2014!

fuzzpig Thu 18-Jul-13 08:58:40

BiddyPop Thu 18-Jul-13 09:32:47

I can't remember the Disney one (I know it had 2013 on it and it was an obvious Disney one), the other was a lovely German glass mushroom - the kind that are painted inside, and it has lovely "real" moss stuck on to the bottom of it.

I got a tiny snowglobe, with the Toystory characters inside, for DD (I was going to get Mickey and Minnie Mouse, but TS was such an obvious favourite there that I got that instead) - I picked that up in the character shop in the outlets right next to the hotel on our way to the airport. And a box with 2 pins (for her lanyard) - she really got into the pins even though she didn't do any trading, but got one each day in the parks of her favourite rides.

I got DH a magnet, as he was born the year the park opened, so there was a suitable "original since..." for him, he is definitely an Original!!

And we got a sparkler candle in the shape of an 8 for DD's birthday cake, on Boxing Day, which she didn't see.

But that was about it - I have to do a lot of searching here now.

The decorations were gorgeous - some tiny, some HUGE, and all sorts of styles, across all the characters from years ago to very recent. But not cheap - both the ones I got cost me just over €16 each, and they weren't the most expensive by a long shot. But I try to get something special from hols every year, and the mushroom was so gorgeous too that I really lusted after it. blush

fuzzpig Thu 18-Jul-13 10:42:39

I'll make sure I take extra cash if I go then grin

I love the 'original since...' idea for your DH grin I made a pop up 'deep thought' computer (from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) pop up card for DH's 42nd birthday... as he's my answer to everything smile (soppy much)

BiddyPop Thu 18-Jul-13 12:01:18

Awww Fuzz, that sounds so sweet!! (I wish I could do things like that, I'm doing well when I get the thought right).

fuzzpig Thu 18-Jul-13 17:41:59

It wasn't as fancy as it sounds blush but the thought was there grin

I bought myself a stocking filler today! Some Spongebob knickers from primark grin we don't buy character undies during the year so I thought I'd save them and DH can wrap them for me. I also discovered that Sports and Soccer have loads of mens/boys character boxers on offer (2 for £4/£6 respectively) so if my quest for Wreck it Ralph ones at Disney Store (going to Bluewater on Sunday! Very excited!) is unsuccessful I will go back.

I bought a Yankee Candle votive in Salted Caramel^- it smells ^lush a bit like the Creme Brulee which was one of my all time favourites.

(Makes note to buy some to put away for Christmas. Yankee Candles are always Part of the Plan for Christmas) wink

Fuzzpig - it was these. At least I have them for this year.

buzzgirly Sun 21-Jul-13 09:07:56

Biddy - how was Florida? I am really hoping to take dcs when they are a bit older. Was there dedicated christmas shops open all year out there?

Not done much else on the Christmas front - my ongoing list is growing though!

I remember last year someone spoke about a website giving you tips de-cluttering for Christmas - does anyone know what it was?

Was it a "Fly-Lady" thread buzzgirly ?
It'll be on GoodHousekeeping thread if it is.

(DH is watching the Christmas Dr Who -the one with David Tennant/David Morrissey/Dervla Kirwin in Victorian London)
Aaaahhh festive smile

there's a FlyLady thread on 01/01/13 at 07.55 (about 630 posts) on Goodhousekeeping.
Can't do linkie things blush

fuzzpig Mon 22-Jul-13 07:58:38

Bluewater trip was not successful (well not in terms of Christmas stuff anyway) - was so looking forward to getting wreck it ralph boxers for DS' stocking (especially as they are now £2.99 for 3) but the sizing was wrong. I shall have to go elsewhere this year as they only seem to do 3-4 and 5-6, no 4-5 so either too big or too small. Hmmph.

Hiberno those egg cups are fab! Am quite tempted myself!

fuzzpig Tue 23-Jul-13 08:24:16

BiddyPop Tue 23-Jul-13 09:45:33

Buzz, yes we found 2 dedicted Christmas shops in Disney. I cannot remember which park the first was in (probably Magic Kingdom, but perhaps Hollywood Studios), and the second was a shop in the German section in Epcot. Both dedicated to Christmas decorations all year round.

But we've managed to find a dedicated Christmas shop open all year on each trip to the US that we've done. There is one in New York, where we got a yellow taxi, and another in Boston (in the market down by the harbour, there's lots of great food places there too) where we got a Boston Redsocks baseball decoration. And ALL have been busy - Boston and Florida in the height of summer, admittedly NYC was the week before Thanksgiving (late November) so into the season.

I got the first proper present over the weekend. A play pizza kit for a DNiece in the ELC sale. I have organised my DBro's present though, whether I have him as KK or not - he and his new wife are getting a "Bride's Box" of decorations with a special meaning attached to each that I organised just in time for last Christmas but wasn't giving until this one, as their first year married. (And it will be their first year in their new home as well, coincidentally - they have bought a house in Canada and move in September).

So that's 2 down, only another 45 to go....

BiddyPop Tue 23-Jul-13 09:52:05

Was it the Holiday Grand Plan for the cleaning? A 14 week plan dedicating a week to each room in the house and allowing for decorating week as well? That's on the Organised Christmas websitechristmas.organizedhome.com/holiday-plans, and I know there are a couple of shorter versions too (I always start the HGP in September with great intentions, and get lost along the way in about October, but reckon every extra bit helps the clutter mountain getting tackled here.

fuzzpig Tue 23-Jul-13 11:56:46

I am now on the 'm' thread on Good Housekeeping which is great for decluttering support smile we did quite well last year considering our health (DH didn't have his operation until September and obviously then took a while to recover) but this year I feel much happier with what we are doing - we are going slowly but it feels much more achievable and most importantly maintainable! smile

buzzgirly Tue 23-Jul-13 18:28:22

Thanks Biddy that's the site I was looking for. Hopefully it will give me a boost to at least start de-cluttering!!

five months til Christmas Eve grin

buzzgirly Wed 24-Jul-13 08:57:00

Hooray!! 70s I hope your planning a suitable picture for tomorrow gringrin

buzzgirly Wed 24-Jul-13 08:57:51

Ooh and forgot to say, are you going to do a Christmas traditions thread?

Ooh yes the picture grin

And I'm going to do The Traditions Thread when I get DH computer cranked up because the keyboard on this one keeps throwing wobblies.

This thread is not accepting new messages.