so its only....

(1001 Posts)
RabidCarrot Wed 26-Dec-12 10:10:42

364 days till Christmas grin

BiddyPop Mon 15-Apr-13 10:52:34

Oh my word how is time going so FAST?!

Rabid, I hope all is well and soon mended for you.

I have not done anything this year yet (whereas last year I was at least crafting!). But I won't panic for a while yet. And I know that I won't be cooking the feast (only bits and pieces for parents and ILs) so that's another thing less to fuss about.

And while we won't have a tv, we will have our laptops and we bought a mobile broadband dongle recently with Christmas in mind for netflix. And there's a real wood stove in the house we've rented, so I will be curled up watching the sea heaving and all the ships moving in and out of the harbour from the sittingroom window there with a big glass of mulled wine and a mince pie on Christmas Eve!!

Bliss....

Shinyshoes1 Mon 15-Apr-13 11:04:29

I've got a week ( maybe 2 ) off at Christmas from work yippee
I still have money from a gift card on my amazon account and was looking at the lovely wrapping paper and bows for Christmas .

I'm already planning gifts in my head of what to get people

It's my turn to have mother this year , is siblings take it in turns , I'm dreading it to be honest we haven't got a great relationship and she is very demanding and very huffy and sulky but hey I'll worry about that nearer the time

Shinyshoes1 Mon 15-Apr-13 11:05:16

BiddyPop Mon 15-Apr-13 16:58:53

Shinyshoes1, when dealing with people with any sort of toxicity in them (whether huffiness or full blown poison), I have learned to do my prep in advance, keep a stock list of phrases in my head to ignore them ("did you mean that to be so rude?", "we're all having X now and then going to Y, so do you want to join us, otherwise the fire is lit and here is the remote control for the tv" etc) and treat them in a way like I treat DD. That I am in my own home so I am the person in charge and I have to take account of everyone's needs and wishes and choose what is best for all.

If you have a few nice things for your mum (like have info or even tickets for performances she'd like one day, or arrange to take her shopping and for coffee one day without children (or with if she'd love - but HER time rather than you chasing a list 5 yards long), having some of her favourite foods in the cupboards), and have the room she'll stay in as nice for her as possible (travel kettle and mug, small pack biccies, few nice mags/books, radio, tv if you have a small one, table to write at, nice smellies to relax, etc), then hopefully she will see the effort you have put in. And if you're clear up front about what you can do with/for her, and what other calls you have on your time, then hopefully it will be a nice visit.

Certainly do still remember to make time and plans for everyone else in the family, like the annual drinks for neighbours you host, or a night out with your DH alone.

LentilAsAnything Mon 15-Apr-13 18:11:17

Sorry to hear about your mother, Shiny. You have more patience than me. I can't be doing with that sort of nonsense from anyone.

Snazzynewyear Mon 15-Apr-13 23:08:49

Gavin and Stacey Christmas special is on now on Dave. Possibly now my favourite Christmas special ever.

Shiny best of luck to you!

Driving today , I saw a dumped, abandoned Christmas Tree at the side of the road.
It was brown, dry , scabby looking and it even had some strands of silvery tinselly stuff on it <<weeps>>

sad

But maybe the owner had their tree up till yesterday then thought "I really need to take the decorations down now....."

LentilAsAnything Tue 16-Apr-13 22:11:05

smile

Shinyshoes1 Thu 18-Apr-13 09:25:51

milk Thu 18-Apr-13 20:35:44

Will the two-hundred and fifty tomorrow be written in a fancy way? smile

...............envy
.............envyenvyenvy
............envyenvyenvy
.......envyenvyenvyenvyenvy
.........envyenvyenvyenvy
....envyenvyenvyenvyenvyenvy
.........envyenvyenvyenvy
........envyenvyenvyenvyenvy
.............envyenvy
...............envyangry
...........angryangry

IT'S A HOLLY LEAF grin

250 (Too much time on my hands)

milk Fri 19-Apr-13 08:09:26

smile I appreciate the effort smile

starjules Fri 19-Apr-13 09:47:56

Me too, fab skills.

blush I thank you.

I did a tree on last years thread must get out more

LentilAsAnything Fri 19-Apr-13 15:49:09

Oh my goodness, that is amazing!!! smile Wow!
I feel all festive!

buzzgirly Sat 20-Apr-13 08:12:36

Loving the tree 70s.

Dd asked for a Christmas book at bedtime, and then we sang lots of Christmassy songs! Cheered me up immensely. Dh does think I'm a bit mad though.

grin my DD insisted we read "Letter to Santa" the other day (with all the voices)

It wasn't bed-time though, she was meant to be tidying her bedroom.
But she thought "Hmm, I'll distract Mum"
She's 11yo, and knows how to take advantage wink

and I'm up late - Tra-La-La-La-La-La ....La-La-La-La

milk Sun 21-Apr-13 08:00:52

248, 70's updates are great - Tra-La-La-La-La-La ....La-La-La-La smile

gillywillywoo Sun 21-Apr-13 08:27:34

Ahhhhh only just found this thread smile
Im counting down on an app on my phone... But this is much more fun!!!!

Monday morning.....<<sigh>> hmm

milk Mon 22-Apr-13 09:37:29

Not all Mondays are bad 70... can't wait for Monday 23rd December grin

I know milk but Mon 23rd Dec is eight months awaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy

<<snivelling sobs into tissue>>

But consoles myself with the though that we are nearly a third of the way there grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.