So whats been a big hit and whats been disapointing?

(69 Posts)
Marne Tue 25-Dec-12 21:46:21

Big hits in our house has been skylanders (dd1 had to be dragged off the Wii), Furby and good old lego.

Disapointing items were the addictaball (should be called impossaball), its a pile of cr*p and a bit broke off after 5 minutes of trying to work it out, Hello Kitty cool cardz, probably as dd2 is a bit young for it so just chucked all the bits everywhere without reading the instructions.

amck5700 Sun 30-Dec-12 22:39:15

No2 son (age 11) has spend most of his time when allowed playing this game on the PS3 - It's One Piece Pirate Warriors - he is a big Manga fan

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007X47EK0/ref=asc_df_B007X47EK011251244?smid=ARTYQTTN7FN71&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B007X47EK0&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20424829111517044585&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

On the other hand his much requested PS vita has hardly been touched.

No 2 son (age 12) has played with this puzzle - Ivan's Hinge whenever he has been shunted off Minecraft!

www.happypuzzle.co.uk/products/IVANS-HINGE.aspx

He also got this remote control plan with built in camera and has never looked at it since taking the wrapping of.

www.tesco.com/direct/air-hogs-hawk-eye-blue-sky-rc-toy-helicopter/702-2278.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=702-2278

fuzzpig Sun 30-Dec-12 20:41:57

We have also enjoyed Animal Upon Animal as mentioned upthread.

BringUsSomePigleyPudding Sun 30-Dec-12 18:19:35

The DD's got these from the grandparents and love them! Go to bed with them every night.
www.hugapet.co.uk/page.asp?id=blankets

fuzzpig Sun 30-Dec-12 14:55:37

We have given DSDs (both 14) their presents now too and am very happy that everything seems to have been a hit!

Most notably:
DSD1 - how to train your dragon DVD and cuddly Toothless
- moustache gloves grin
- make your own safety pin bracelet kit
- a Spock figure!
DSD2 - Harry Potter scene it
- I heart Tom Daley hoodie (thank goodness for eBay eh hmm)
- loads of books including hunger games

They both got mini speakers - called x-mini or something like that. They are brilliant!

And DH had got both DSDs and me a cuddly Minion, and 5yo DD a cuddly unicorn from despicable me! I actually shrieked when I opened mine blush

fuzzpig Sun 30-Dec-12 10:44:50

I love your nickname, Belina, assuming it refers to return to oz?! Fabulous film. Can't wait til my DCs are old enough to watch it. Too scary for them at the mo.

BelinaTheChicken Sun 30-Dec-12 10:32:31

fuzzpig I just came on to say the Playmobil castle was a massive hit, as was the Doctor's kit and outfit my sister bought.

As was this noisy but worth it!

fuzzpig Sun 30-Dec-12 10:14:27

Just bumping this again as it'll be interesting to see if the lists change now a few more days have passed!

Biggest hit was the playmobil castle. Had it all set up (it was great fun for DH and I - both playmobil newbies - putting it together on Xmas eve with the Baileys flowing!) complete with knights in battle, their faces as they walked into the living room and saw it was absolute magic.

Other huge hit was Lego - which they got from my friend on Xmas eve,

DD got some little Dalek figures in her stocking which she said was her favourite present - they are now patrolling the castle guarding the treasure, ready to exterminate any enemy knights that try to steal it grin

There are a few things that were misses on the day - puzzles/books type things - that are now being looked at as the initial WOW of the actual toys has worn off a bit.

Biggest hit for me was a Banksy print, DH's was glow in the dark ghostbusters PJ trousers grin

devilinside Thu 27-Dec-12 10:53:40

Hits: DD (7) Nintendo 3DS & Moshi monsters theme park
DS (6) Leapster & spongebob game

Misses: doggy doo doo game.

BigusBumus Thu 27-Dec-12 10:45:29

Hits: DS1 (10) Kindle Fire and Tech Decks
DS2 (6) RC Porsche and Hexbug and Science Putty
Me: Silver Bee necklace, Chanel Chance perfume & Cath Kidston dressing gown.

Misses: Sonic & Mario at Olympic games Wii game has been ignored as has new colouring stuff.

bruffin Thu 27-Dec-12 10:44:53

My DD 15
silly little things like this travelcard wallet with a photo of her with her favorite youtubers

the lego Hogwarts Express i got from ebay. and the gourmet popcorn i got from selfridges

DS 17
those tiny neocube magnet balls. Spent all day playing with them and so did everyone else who could get their hands on them. His Armani attitude aftershave and some the clothes from All saints.

PolkadotCircus Thu 27-Dec-12 10:27:16

Lego Monster Fighters-Ghost Train and Vampyre Castle
Sylvanian Families-Beechwood Hall and a pair of SF crutches!

Best thing ever for me was the Usborne book of Christmas Paper Things to Cut and Stick-gave it to my 3 Xmas Eve so I could clean and it kept them quiet all afternoon.Totally mess free and I got loads of lovely paper chains,hearts and angels to decorate the house with.Going to buy it again next year.

No misses,I either choose well or they'd easily pleased!

I'm loving my IPad-although I can't find the emoticon brackets.

spababe Thu 27-Dec-12 08:31:52

DS's 12 and 10 had Game of Life App version that you play with your Ipad in the middle of the board. I played Game of Life as a child but this up to date version is just brilliant and we all spent 3 hours last night playing 2 games. The spinner is on the ipad and you move around the board as normal and collect money but your character also collects life tokens worth money on the ipad and there are funny videos eg when you graduate. You don't know whio has won until the end so there are no mid-way strops! It was brilliant!

janeyjampot Thu 27-Dec-12 07:25:48

Big hit here has been Animal upon Animal, which is a game I'd never heard of until I saw it recommended on here. It's been great, even with grandparents and teenagers, which is a tricky combination at the best of times...

Ds aged 4 loves his batcave and Gotham city jail. Got him all of the action figures too. Loves them.

Also loves connect 4. Doesn't get the 4 bit and we only play to see who can get their counters in quicker!

Not so good jigsaws.

bluebump Wed 26-Dec-12 23:52:50

My DS (4) loved his Octonauts from Father Christmas and his skateboard from me (eek). From grandparents he loved the Playmobil school and this Wild West shooting game.

cuteable Wed 26-Dec-12 23:38:51

miss - toot toot driver garage. total crap! vtec tablet thing from home bargains and leap pad toys when- leaptops.

hit dolls highchair. playmobile pirate boat and island. smile

MooseyMoo Wed 26-Dec-12 20:57:51

DD (2.6) biggest hit so far pretend doctors kit and wow toys fire engine. She played with every toy on opening but these two she kept going back to.

DS (13 months) biggest hit wrapping paper and his sister's wooden cake stand with cupcakes. He actually crawled over mound of toys to get to them hmm

Dd's both had a Kindle fire, and they haven't put them down since.

Ds's fave was his xbox, and his web shooting spiderman

cushionpad Wed 26-Dec-12 18:51:39

Hits include really cheap cowboy guns from£1 shop, these have been played with for hours and doggie doo which is knocking me sick but the boys 3 and 7 love it. No big misses so that's great front room looks like toysrus.

SantasWearingHisTrampyPants Wed 26-Dec-12 18:35:20

Hits, the lego. I got him loads of dino lego, a lego monsters set and a couple of superhero sets, all half price or better. Batman is trying to stop the crazy scientist, who has created mutant dinosaurs. Its "epic"

Fail paperjamz guitar.

Dh's fave present was a book about nixon and kissinger from poundland. He loves it.

GreatCongas Wed 26-Dec-12 18:34:14

Ds1 Michael morpugo box set
Ds2 box assorted lego
Dd push along dog that yaps
Ds3 gup x

JollyOldChristmas Wed 26-Dec-12 18:28:03

Puffin , i have an excellent Markies 100% cotton one. If you're looking for a decent one I would recommend trying there smile

Big hit - Vintage (really?? It's from 1994 does that make me an antique hmm ) Puppy in my Pocket Puppyville Hotel, I found a boxed one on eBay and around 100 puppies, I spent a few months collecting for her. They are made of lovely durable material.

Fail - Brightest bright white polyester dressing gown for me, material is designed to attract the dust of a thousand houses. I have 4 dogs hmm material is horrid to touch as well.

Guitargirl Wed 26-Dec-12 16:59:08

HITS - hexbugs and elevation set have been a big hit with my two, they have played with them for the last 3 hours non stop (aged 5 and 3). They like their bikes. DD loves her various Barbie colouring in and stencil sets and her furreal cat thing. DS has played non stop with a bendy bus from ELC and wenlock and mandeville cars.

MISSES - motor web spiderman still in his box, DS not shown much interest. A bit underwhelmed with the Wii so far and haven't asked to play with it today. Velcro dart set - darts don't stick.

Afrodizzywonders Wed 26-Dec-12 14:31:29

2 year old DS loves his wooden train set here hasn't left it alone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now