Alternate fat for cooking potatoes in?

(38 Posts)
OhYouMerryLittleKitten Thu 13-Dec-12 20:13:45

Having to scrap the goose fat idea. Is lard going to be ok? I want lovely crunchy scrummy potatoes.

ceeveebee Thu 13-Dec-12 21:42:20

Yes about an hour for potatoes and parsnips (I don't parboil parsnips) and maybe 45 mins for sausages.. I put potatoes on top shelf which is hottest in my oven. If parsnips or sausages start looking like they're done, I take them out, put in serving dish, cover in foil and put back in bottom of oven.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Thu 13-Dec-12 22:04:32

Ahh, that's a good idea, I could use my little oven as the don't panic if its cooked too soon oven.

BertieBotts Thu 13-Dec-12 22:06:25

Any kind of fat from meat is lovely. I usually use the fat from the bird itself around halfway through cooking so there's enough left to make gravy at the end smile

Bartlett Rooster potatoes are amazing.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Thu 13-Dec-12 22:10:37

I'll have to make a list of potential potatoes as its always a bit random as to what appears in the shops the week before.

Please try Trex... just like goose fat and a fraction of the price.

And totally agree re bashing up par-boiled potatoes and having oil really hot.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Thu 13-Dec-12 22:14:31

A new contender! I might try that this weekend!

Showtime Thu 13-Dec-12 22:28:41

Agree with parboiling then tossing potatoes, but before going into hot oil, crispiest potatoes should be shaken a few at a time in bag with powdered mustard (flour will do, mustard crunches more (and no hot flavour).

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Thu 13-Dec-12 22:30:36

Mustard? That's a new one. Are you sure it doesn't go hot? I'd love it but I'm not sure about others.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Thu 13-Dec-12 22:32:11

You are all being very kind about my thread title blush

AlohaMama Thu 13-Dec-12 22:43:55

That's because we're too busy drooling over mental images of crispy roast potatoes to worry about grammar!!

Jux Thu 13-Dec-12 23:07:55

Lard is great for roast spuds. You can a pat for under 50p too.

girlywhirly Fri 14-Dec-12 07:45:51

King Edwards potatoes make fantastic roasties. I parboil, then add them to a tray of hot light olive oil and Crisp'n'dry (rapeseed oil)

You can start them on a hot temperature and whack it up for the last 15 mins or so to crisp them really well by which time your turkey will be out of the oven, resting. I would do parsnips at the same time, and as I have a traditional oven, on the top shelf where it is hottest.

I use king Edwards for roasting too. In lovely, cheap lard. They don't come out so well if I do them in oil (of any description).

Sometimes, I use bacon fat rather than normal lard. DH says these are always the most delicious roast potatoes. I pour the fat into a jar every time I make bacon for breakfast (about once a week/fortnight) and keep it in the fridge. When I've got enough I use it for potatoes (or sometimes for refried beans).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now