Should I re-think this gift?

(31 Posts)
SeasonallySnowyPeasant Mon 10-Dec-12 21:45:40

I got a bit carried away with getting bargains on Amazin Black Friday blush and bought DBro's girlfriend casserole/braising tongs. I don't know her very well but apparently she likes cooking and I didn't want to get her something too generic. She is absolutely lovely and would accept a roll of bin bags with good grace but should I get her something else?

kdiddy Mon 10-Dec-12 22:03:21

I love cooking and would definitely appreciate a gift like that but I also have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about overly practical presents. So maybe get her a little something else as well?

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Mon 10-Dec-12 22:08:42

That's a good idea. I'm the same age as her and would like the tongs but we are very different (she's far nicer than me for a start wink).

cazza2878 Mon 10-Dec-12 22:24:09

What on earth are casserole tongs? Honest opinion? Sounds like an odd gift to me (and I love cooking).

pictish Mon 10-Dec-12 22:25:20

Casserole tongs??

How do they work? Would be like eating soup with a fork surely?

1978andallthat Mon 10-Dec-12 22:26:12

I love unusual cookery type gifts. Is v thoughtful.

starfishmummy Mon 10-Dec-12 22:27:50

What cazza says!!

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Mon 10-Dec-12 22:41:29

Pictish here they are. I'd use them for turning and picking up meat.

Well, they seemed like a good idea at the time but I am wondering whether it's a bit odd. I only have my mum's word for it that she's into cooking and I don't know much about her other interests. It's also the first time I've bought for her and I very much doubt she'll buy for me or DH and the DCs so I don't want to embarrass her with a big gift.

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Mon 10-Dec-12 22:46:26

angry just spotted that I paid 8p more for them than they cost now. So much for a bargain!

Snowkey Tue 11-Dec-12 06:24:52

Honest opinion - I think they are a bit of an odd gadget....I'd send them back and get something useful or edible - make her some peppermint bark or home made fudge rather than buying a gift. Who would pay £17.99 for tongs though - that price was seriously inflated.

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Tue 11-Dec-12 09:27:48

I'll talk to DBro and see what he thinks. If worst cones to worst, I get to keep them grin

pictish Tue 11-Dec-12 09:31:55

£18 for tongs!!

sausagesandwich34 Tue 11-Dec-12 09:35:05

tongs for casserole? what's wrong with a fork?

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Tue 11-Dec-12 09:38:26

Alright, alright, I know it was a bit of a silly impulse buy but I didn't pay £17. I'm not that much of a mug, honest.

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 11-Dec-12 09:43:53

Hmm...

I think if you'd got her a casserole set, or a casserole pot thing, it'd be okay. But tongs are bizarre. I've never known anyone use them. I like to cook but I'd never heard of them...I don't know what I'd do with them.

I think they might be one of those weird things that some people will find really useful, and others would be baffled by. Like silicon cake cases.

If I was you I'd keep the tongs for myself and buy her something edible, or a little cooking set, or something.

DoubleMum Tue 11-Dec-12 09:54:18

I have tongs and use them often (although never for a casserole!). I use them for all kind of things - turning meat, lifting something like bacon, roast potatoes etc off a cooking tray, loads of things. I'll be honest though, mine are £3 ones from Tesco, I'd be a bit bemused with posh tongs.

Theala Tue 11-Dec-12 10:06:59

I like the posh tongs. I would like to receive them as a gift, I think.

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Tue 11-Dec-12 10:26:53

Ok, I'm going to put it to my brother. Here goes...

Thumbwitch Tue 11-Dec-12 10:29:26

I like the tongs but might be a bit hmm about getting them as a first Christmas present from you!

See what your brother says though. smile

INeedThatForkOff Tue 11-Dec-12 12:50:39

TBH, we have loads of cookery-related gifts given to DH that we never, ever use - garlic roaster, brie baker, pasta machine etc ...

INeedThatForkOff Tue 11-Dec-12 12:51:49

What about some nice crockery (Cath Kidston / Emma Bridgewater type stuff if she's into it)?

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Tue 11-Dec-12 12:58:26

A Brie-baker?! That's worse than mine, fantastic. Someone got hooked on the Lakeland catalogue...

She lives with her parents or her sister depending on where she's studying so she doesn't need crockery.

No reply from DBro yet but he is at work.

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Tue 11-Dec-12 13:32:07

Reply from DBro. He thinks she wouldn't use them. I shall unwrap them and put them in my kitchen grin (and stop feeling so smug about having finished my Christmas shopping)

Thumbwitch Tue 11-Dec-12 13:35:02

I hope he gave you some idea for an alternative then smile

Merrin Tue 11-Dec-12 18:11:23

I think your over thinking it, its a fine gift. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now