Christmas Elf - how is it going?

(55 Posts)
cassell Sat 08-Dec-12 20:15:42

We're having great fun with our elf for the first time this year. DS1 is 3.8 and loves discovering what cheekiness the elf has been up to in the morning.

Most surprising of all has been dh's attitude - he was really sniffy about the whole idea and thought it was ridiculous. However he's really getting into it and keeps coming up with new ideas, he even went out in the middle of the night to set up the elf in the car grin

How are you all getting on and what's been the most successful 'mischief' the elf has caused so far? <on the hunt for more ideas>

hurricanewyn Thu 13-Dec-12 18:58:28

Ours so far has:
Delivered the advent calenders
painted the dc's noses red
gift wrapped the toilet seat
Stole a box of celebrations
hid in DS's pants
stole some icecream
covered the tree in toilet paper
looked up pictures of other elves on google
drank all the milk
brought them a chocolate sleigh each

DD 8 loves it. Every morning she goes running to find him. DS 10 believes, but finds him a bit of a nuisance

beingginger Thu 13-Dec-12 16:47:17

oh she pulled a pile of books off the bookcase and was reading christmas stories one night.
tonight she might make paper snow flakes

beingginger Thu 13-Dec-12 16:41:26

so far our elf has:
drawn all over the bathroom mirror with an OHP pen,
put underpants and nappies on the tree,
put out the school uniform for the next day but mixed the piles up,
had a sick day with tissues and calpol,
played with ds1 batcave and got caught by the penguin,
made hot chocolate and made a mess,
wrapped up the tv with wrapping paper,
drew a christmas tree and spilt the crayons all over the table.

Tobermory Thu 13-Dec-12 15:39:37

The doctors wife, I have a sign saved on the computer that explains the magic seeds and instructions for DC.
PM me if you want me to forward you a copy?

Can I just ask where your elf lives during the day?

I think he may giftwrap himself and the sofa tonight. Dd would wet herself. Goes off to check wrapping paper stash.

We had much sadness this morning as the elf clearly hadnt come back. All morning dd searched for him. Then it was time for the school run and there he was strapped in with a note to ask if mummy coukd drive him to see all the xmas lights when it gets dark.

I def need more ideas. Next week i think he may try barbies ball gown on as its the xmas party at preschool. He needs to scrawl over the bathroom with bath crayons. I'm liking the idea of planting seeds.

Tobermory Thu 13-Dec-12 10:25:16

O I just adore Christmas Elf. I only stumbled across the idea few weeks ago and so this is our first year..... its so lovely.

Every morning when my children get up, the first thing they want to do is find out what Mr Elf (imaginative, i know. Though last night my 5 year old gave him a middle name, 'M' for Mischief). Chocolate advent calendars definately come second to Mr Elfs antics.

Last night he delivered some chocolate treats for the tree, though he ate one or two.
Magic seeds, grown in sugar for a few nights, which grew into Magic Elf Canes
Making a mess by cutting snowflakes out of white paper. He missed the snow evidently!
Got tangled up in some fairy lights
Had a picnic with the other toys, to make friends, on his first night.

I think tonight his adventures might take him into a different part of the house. Like the idea of fishing in the sink!

We have started a bit late with ours as we needed to wait on it arriving. He has been called Adam and so far ds believes. He was found with quavers and sweets this morning so will see what he gets up to tonight. He is currently sitting in the armchair with an apple as ds said he had too much chocolate!

buzzgirly Thu 13-Dec-12 07:47:07

We are having a great time with our elf, but he's not done anything too mischievous yet! Dd, 4.2, asks for him every morning as soon as she gets up, she is so excited by it all. She found it hilarious when we found him one day day kissing barbie in her car!

The house next door have put theirs in the tree in the front garden, its staring at me!

timeforachangebaby Wed 12-Dec-12 12:43:08

The best ours have done is crash the car Toy Story style into a hedge, thanks to the mumsnetter who suggested that one (its for weekend as it involved leaving car open on drive)
They have made a mess with playdoh
Had a midnight feast
Disappeared and been found in DCs car seats on school run
mmmmmmmm
Toilet paper bungee jumped from lights
Put some decorations up and wrapped themselves in sellotape and stuck themselves to wall
Been found by front door in DCs shoes/boots
Made bird seed angels out back
Been found reading a stack of books they pulled off book shelf
Had a race with a dollies car and scooter (this was a big hit)
Been found in bath surrounded by animals sailing the playmobil rescue boats

Tonight they are going to paper up the bottom half of the DCs doorway
Christmas Eve they will paper up the whole door to the room where the presents are and then fly back to Santa

evilhamster Wed 12-Dec-12 10:13:24

Today Elf (that's our imaginative name for him) decided it would be fun to do something active. We discovered him sneaking into the house on some paper chains, and there was a new backpack (an early present for when we go to visit family) with a colouring book, a pack of pencils, a pack to make paper chains, a paint your own Santa bauble each, face paint (Christmas coloured). DD1 had to go to school unfortunately, but DD2 got an inset day, so DS and DD2 started going through the backpack. We had a lot of mess! Right at the bottom, we found a note giving you clues to a secret object, and we all had to help them search the house until they found the Christmas DVDs.

ChasedByBees Tue 11-Dec-12 23:24:23

Hmm - some of these ideas for inappropriate elf on a shelf made me laugh:

mommyhasapottymouth.com/inappropriate-elf-on-the-shelf-2732/

I got my elf for about 20 quid from a christmas shop in shanklin on the isle of wight!! I snapped him up knowing how much they shoot up to.

My dd1 is 4 and is absolutely loving "Chrimble's" antics. He has wrapped the tree in loo roll. Put money in her moneybox to buy a bauble. Hung from the light fitting to observe breakfast. Read christmas stories in our book corner (and brought two new books), got stuck in the letter box posting his letter to santa. He asked for sweets cos a rollercoaster may be too big and scary! Made snow angels in sugar. Fished in the sink. Did some colouring in bringing some new pens and colour yourself cards. Tomorrow will find him making snowflakes in the bathroom inviting dd to make some for the front windows.

Each day he brings an activity and i try to tie his mischief in to that. So he told her to visit santa on the steam train and rode around on the brio trainset. I must admit its hardwork being an elf!

spingey Tue 11-Dec-12 21:17:56

Im totally doing this next christmas!!! It sounds like great fun! Will wait for the sales to find an appropriate elf though....they are £50 odd quid on amazon!!!

ISawMamaPizzaKissingSantaClaus Tue 11-Dec-12 21:09:24

Pigley I haven't spotted your this year's blog yet. It's lovely smile Bookmarked it so I can read your updates.

Some ideas cross over, but maybe some of you also want to have a nose at mine. Link to blog

ElfOnTheShelf Tue 11-Dec-12 18:44:45

YY to us also not having the real Elf on the shelf figure. Ours is a Tesco's Mrs Christmas soft cuddly with long stripy legs and fluffy mitts. Much much bigger than the little Elf so harder in some ways to get her to do stuff.

I have said DD is not to cuddle her as the magic subsides with each cuddle but we do abit as she's so gorgeously soft.

PoppyWearer Tue 11-Dec-12 18:14:55

4yo DD loves looking for our elf every morning, she hides in a different place and hasn't got up to much mischief, but has delivered some letters from Father Christmas and other Christmas cards.

cassell Tue 11-Dec-12 18:02:08

I haven't done the proper elf on the shelf as thought it was a bit creepy (and expensive and too American grin) the story I wrote for ours is essentially that he's a young elf (same age as ds1) and every December father Christmas sends some of his young elves to visit special children and learn about what children do, he wants to join in the dc's activities in the day and then gets up to mischief exploring the house when everyone's asleep, when father christmas visits on Christmas eve he'll take the elf home and, if the dc have been good leave presents for them. So it's a mishmash of the various stories to suit me grin

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 11-Dec-12 17:27:15

Pigley - that's a great blog, what lovely pictures!

Embers - what's the £3.50 tesco elf like?

cocoachannel Tue 11-Dec-12 17:23:32

So are toddlers...! Maybe that's why I don't get it, DD too young at the moment!

My elf was £3.50 from Tesco.
And its only mischief, not really bad behaviour, as elves are known for their mischievous behaviour right?

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/1602363-Elf-on-the-shelf-when-do-you-start-yours

Its been great fun so far, and the DC 100% completely believe it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now