List frustration....

(5 Posts)
pookamoo Fri 07-Dec-12 15:34:09

Some lovely ideas here, thank you ladies!
Babysitting's always tricky as we live 3 hours from any family, but it would tie in well with a visit from the inlaws - we'd go out in the evening while they were here! smile

amck5700 Fri 07-Dec-12 09:30:42

Baby sitting promises and hair do/massage etc vouchers so you could actually use them.
Money/voucher towardsthe afore mentioned driving lesson
Basic Kindle
Book Light
Nice slippers/underwear
Candles
Magazine subscription
Love film or similar subscription for a year

DonkeysInTheStableAtMidnight Fri 07-Dec-12 02:06:59

PS Totally get what you mean about just being happy together. Everyone's been saying either, well there's a recession on, or, Christmas is just for the children.

Er, no, I love it, I'm not spending like a loon but let's spread some cheer. Better to be relaxed and happy than blowing the budget and outdoing everyone else in conspicuous spending, must be a happy medium somewhere. (And if I hear one more reference to Mayan calendars...!).

DonkeysInTheStableAtMidnight Fri 07-Dec-12 01:56:46

Actually the driving in adverse conditions tutorial sounds v sensible - it's not the kind of thing you feel justified putting in the household budget - could be fun too. So a "treat" almost but practical, not frivolous, good idea!

How about jewellery or a watch.
An overnight bag.
Really decent shampoo/conditioner the sort you don't get for yourself.

After a few years' living together, stuff like towels wear out, anything you had as a wedding gift that's looking tatty or you wish you'd got more of.

If people ask for ideas why do they groan when you ask for something mundane but useful!

I used to put real effort into buying presents, no hardship I enjoyed it but when people asked me for ideas I'd think, can't they think for themselves? Not to mention I'd sacrifice my own ideas for DH and DCs. If I asked for inspiration, they'd say oh no, surprise us!

pookamoo Fri 07-Dec-12 01:17:06

My family (DParents, brother and sis) have asked for a Christmas list.

DH has a few bits on his that he has jotted down through the year (mostly stuff for the garage/car).
The DCs are easy as they are 4 and 1.
But I can NOT for the life of me write a list.

There's nothing I want or need. If I try to write a list I have to go shopping online to look for stuff I actually don't really need or want, but just to make a list...

Help!

I don't wear perfume or makeup
I don't need any new clothes
I don't really "do" IT gadgets (and would be out of budget probably anyway!)
We don't buy DVDs or collect them, so it just wouldn't be something I would want
I have no idea what CDs are out at the moment
I like reading but don't get time to concentrate (see ages of children! wink) plus I use the library...
What else do people ask for at Christmas time?

The only thing I came up with was an advanced driving lesson to teach me how to drive in the snow because I am scared I will have to do it with the kids in the car and I don't know how. Is that a stupid present? I would be happy with that and nothing else!

I feel really ungrateful. I haven't even started shopping (although I have received the round robin email with everyone else's lists so I should be ready to go). Actually feeling a bit stressed and sad about it and like I am being a humbug. I just want everyone to be together and happy, but feel cheesy and naff saying so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now