which orchard board games...

(39 Posts)
ThePathanKhansWitch Tue 27-Nov-12 18:53:54

Do your kids have? And which ones would they tell me to buy for a 5 yo?

fuzzpig Tue 27-Nov-12 23:18:33

I had tummy ache game as a child (born 1986) - was so chuffed to find a proper old school version of it in a charity shop!

We really like tuten lootem. Got rocket game for DD's 5th, really disappointed actually, it's tedious. Shopping list is good.

Would like to get one for 3yo DS, he's really into shapes and colours and matching so was looking at dotty dinosaurs, seems quite simple for him (speech delay)

Planning on getting that animal upon animal haba game as a family present - my DCs will love it!

Arkady Wed 28-Nov-12 12:06:56

Fuzzpig, do you think he might like Jack and the Beanstalk too? Think DS1 was 3 and a half when we got that.
Or Doodlebugs. You have to match either shape or colour with the previously played card. So not wordy at all, and lots of matching.
Did you know that if you can download the instructions for games from their website? Handy for secondhand purchases, or to get a clue whether the game might be suitable before you buy.

ja9 Wed 28-Nov-12 12:43:27

Greedy Gorilla and Whose rubbish have both been big hits in the house and ones that we can all play together.

I however, am sick of the sight of them!

sparklejawsy Wed 28-Nov-12 12:48:28

We have Crazy Chefs which we love as a family and have played many times from aged 4 plus. Also have Magic Cauldron which is OK but as it's maths related imo it's only suitable for children aged 6 plus. Animal dominoes is good for pre schoolers

DS (4) loves Bus Stop, The Gingerbread Man, Shopping List and a farm puzzle which you have the put the opposites together.

mummatotwo Wed 28-Nov-12 13:00:50

ive just ordered the shopping one here as my DD does french French

fuzzpig Wed 28-Nov-12 14:59:01

Thanks arkady - I'd not heard of the beanstalk one. I love the look of doodlebugs (it's like UNO!) but I'm not sure DS would 'get' it yet.

Excellent advice about the instructions, I will definitely do that. I have been really disappointed by some of their games recently, I think they've gone a bit too far and are just creating loads of games around very similar dull concepts. Basically just pick a card type stuff. It's a real shame that many of them involve very little 'skill'. I'm not saying my 5yo DD is in any way a genius grin but even she is bored by not having to actually 'do' anything in some of the games.

shewhowines Wed 28-Nov-12 15:25:17

shopping list and spotty dogs

ThePathanKhansWitch Wed 28-Nov-12 21:33:36

I,ve just ordered shopping list, and spotty dogs.
They have whats the time mr wolf on amazon. Thankyou for your suggestions.
I also bought junior scrabble and a picture dictionary, not sure how that will go down, she may be too young, what do you think?

neolara Wed 28-Nov-12 21:37:19

Not Orchard, but lego "Shave a sheep" is great for 5 year olds.

fuzzpig Wed 28-Nov-12 21:50:28

YY to shave a sheep. Lovely game. I'm getting the chicken one (kokoriko or something like that) for my friend this year grin

BabysPointlessPocket Wed 28-Nov-12 21:58:01

Yes, shave a sheep is great!

MegBusset Wed 28-Nov-12 22:01:24

My DCs' favourites are Shopping List and Greedy Gorilla (essentially the same game though). Not so keen on Incy Wincy Spider (lost the special dice after about a week so couldn't play it) and What's Rubbish (we never did work out how to play it properly, and the bits get lost all over the house).

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 28-Nov-12 22:02:22

rhyme robbers is fun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now